Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos

+14
Yofeetstink
Flipper
iluvowls
NorthStar
Siillee-Differenter
tweetywizard
PaulyD
Suga-Mama
Richiee12
gamerdude94
krazedxasylum
aMAIZEing94
timmy buck buck
Admin
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos - Page 2 Empty Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos

Post  krazedxasylum Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:08 am

[quote Saving the wildlife can make Galapagos Islands appear to be a more beautiful country which could in return attract more visitors. [/quote]

I like how you mentioned this sentence. By you mentioning this, it seems that if more people become attracted, then now they could learn f an endangered species that is now not.

krazedxasylum

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos - Page 2 Empty Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos

Post  krazedxasylum Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 am

penguin94 wrote: also, if we do not protecet these animals, their ecosysytems and food chains could be drastically affected to a point where nothing could be able to live on the galapagos islands and they would become completely deserted.
This would be terrible for the world. If a whole food chain is disrupted, there can be no apparent good that could coem from it. Im glad that you mentioned and brought this to our attention.

krazedxasylum

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:14 am

PaulyD wrote:I think that saving and protecting endangered species from extinction is WAY MORE IMPORTANT than people who won't be able to visit and learn about wildlife on the Galapogos Islands. I feel this way because some species might go extinct as a result. The species need the Galapogos more than we do because that's THEIR environment and our wanting to visit and learn about them isn't more important than their survival.

I agree with you. I dont see the point of allowing people to visit to study these animals and make them go extinct. Eventually the animals will be extinct and then we will have no ways to study the animals.

gamerdude94

Back to top Go down

Post  Yofeetstink Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:14 am

aMAIZEing94 wrote: In my opinion protecting endangered and threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit and learn about wildlife of the Galapagos Islands is more important than protecting the rights of individuals to visit and learn about the wildlife. I feel this way BECAUSE some species may go extinct as a result. We can always go back and visit the island to learn about the wildlife, while it's there, but if we keep abusing the situation (in this case the species), there will not be any wildlife to learn and visit. Besides, finding solutions to end human abuse of the environment (and the use of fossil fuels) on the island will help find ways to end the abuse all over the globe.

I totally agree with you that if we continue to jeopardize those species on the island then eventually there wont be anything for us to learn about because they would all be gone.
Yofeetstink
Yofeetstink

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:19 am

violinist13 wrote:In your opinion, which of the following is more important:
A. protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may
not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands
B. protecting the rights of individuals to visit & learn about the wildlife on the
Galapagos Islands, even though some species may go extinct as a result
Defend your selection

I think endangered species are more important because they may help us find certain cures for certain diseases. They also help with other animal population. Lets say the lion was endangered. What would happen to the population of the guzzle? The population would be uncontrollable. So this is why we need to protect the animals before learning about wildlife.

I think your right. Lets say that we don't protect these animals and years from now we find out that the komodo dragons saliva can cure cancer or a plant in the Galapagos has curing effects. Is it really our decision to say that we should be allowed to endanger these animals for viewing pleasure. I think the Galapagos need to be extremely trimmed down in its population. We need to avoid the ultimate reality of realizing we need these animals after they have gone extinct.

gamerdude94

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:19 am

NorthStar wrote:2. What is biodiversity? Why is it important to our world? How does the impact of humans on the Galapagos Islands threaten the world's biodiversity? Short of banning human visitors from the Galapagos Islands, what initiatives can we take to protect the animals on these islands?

"the effect of their envorionment show that it can happen on a global scale.

I agree, not only will this effect the Galapagos Islands, but it will also effect the global economy. If it can happen with them it can happen with us. The effect might be different but it would be similar to, or on the same scale.

Richiee12

Back to top Go down

Post  Yofeetstink Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:21 am

Suga-Mama wrote:The Galapagos Islands are an ecological and biological treasure. It is one of the only places left in the world that have not been completely invaded and destroyed by human pollution. We need to keep it that way and protect the species that are endangered, and preserve the species that are still healthy on the islands. Personally I think that the Galapagos would be better off if humans had not started living there in the first place, but since they are they need to do everything they can to preserve the treasure they've almost destroyed. Humans can find somewhere else to develpe. There are just some places that need to be left alone in nature, like the Galapagos. Also, too many natural processes and species will be disturbed if human population and pollution is left unchecked. Exclamation

I agree with you that there are just some places that need to be left alone. As the video said Galapagos is kind of like a whole different world since their are so many different species there and we are invading their world.
Yofeetstink
Yofeetstink

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos - Page 2 Empty haha ur funny :p

Post  penguin94 Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:25 am

violinist13 wrote:In your opinion, which of the following is more important:
A. protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may
not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands
B. protecting the rights of individuals to visit & learn about the wildlife on the
Galapagos Islands, even though some species may go extinct as a result
Defend your selection

I think endangered species are more important because they may help us find certain cures for certain diseases. They also help with other animal population. Lets say the lion was endangered. What would happen to the population of the guzzle? The population would be uncontrollable. So this is why we need to protect the animals before learning about wildlife.
Guzzle? Razz I think you mean gazelle lol Smile but yes if certain predators become endangered, there would be an increase in herbivore/omnivore population and would cause an imbalance in the ecosystem. so continuing to stuy the animals and letting tourists come in is a big NO NO!! haha see ya later buddy!! Smile
penguin94
penguin94

Back to top Go down

Post  heyitssharkweek Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:26 am

violinist13 wrote:Lets say the lion was endangered. What would happen to the population of the guzzle [did you mean "gazelle"?] The population would be uncontrollable.
This is a very valid point. I did not even consider the fact that if you limit a certain animals predator- or prey- there are very averse consequences, including possible over- or underpopulation. When a certain animals' prey becomes endangered, it can cause a chain reaction leading to that animal losing a food source and dying off as well, causing that population to also become endangered. Sometimes humans don't even realize how delicate of a balance nature truly is.

heyitssharkweek

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:26 am

Yofeetstink wrote:My reason for this is pretty obvious, if we decide to protect people over the animals then sure we may have happier folk but we also may cause some animals to become endangered or possibly extinct. Our desires should not be placed over the lives of those animals who habitat we are living in. Learning about the animals is not worth losing the animals.

Quite frankly I find it quite selfish if we put the people before the animals. The animals have feelings too, they're living organisms. Its not like we're talking about a deserted place that's already dead and we're trying to bring it back to life, we're talking about actual living species that eat and sleep like we do. So therefore why not save their habitat, and keep them living as long as we do.

Richiee12

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos - Page 2 Empty just for fun

Post  penguin94 Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:27 am

ok so just for fun, i am going to say that i dont give a crap about the animals and that people should still be allowed to come to the Galapagos islands. Twisted Evil there are already too many animals on the planet. who cares if another species dies? it wont hurt us any. :p
penguin94
penguin94

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:28 am

Flipper wrote:Humans cause too many disturbances in the habitats of all the famous animals and reptiles that inhabit the Galapagos. It is important to learn about the endangered animals there but it is more important to see to it that those animals will still be there one hundred years from now.

Humans do cause too many disturbances in the Galapagos (as well as other important areas of the Earth). We are too selfish to realize that sometimes we need to make sacrifices for the other species in the world.

aMAIZEing94

Back to top Go down

Post  Siillee-Differenter Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:30 am

gamerdude94 wrote:I think that we should limit the amount of tourists to preserve the animals on the galapagos islands.

I agree we should limit the amount of tourists because the more people, the more harmful things the natural animals that live there are exposed to. This is what's making them endangered.

Siillee-Differenter

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:32 am

[quote="gamerdude94"]I think that we should limit the amount of tourists to preserve the animals on the galapagos islands. Although these people will not be able to visit these islands permanatley, they will still be able to see videos and read about the animals that live there.quote]

I agree that limiting the tourists will help the animals in the galapagos. We may not need to necessarily ban tourists but something definitely needs to be done. Besides, if we keep overstepping our boundaries, there will not be any animals to visit anyway.

aMAIZEing94

Back to top Go down

Post  heyitssharkweek Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:38 am

timmy buck buck wrote:Galapagos Islands should stop people from observing and interacting with the animals that live there. If it is causing them to become endangered then it is not worth it. Studying them just so that they become endangered and extinct is a waste of time.

Even though you make a valid point, I'd have to say that, in a sense, I disagree. I personally think that people should still be allowed to visit the Galapagos, and observe them. I just think it should be strongly limited. I agree that if the way we currently observe and interact with the animals continues, it is not worth animals becoming endangered. I don't think studying the animals is a waste of time- rather, I think it is very beneficial. I think that if we do this with a controlled procedure and take enough precautions, studying the Galapagos animals can continue and benefit the entire world and the Earths biodiversity.

heyitssharkweek

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy buck buck Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:48 am

penguin94 wrote:i believe that the animals' survival is more important. if we prevent the animals from becoming endandgered or extinict, then we can study them later when there are more of them. if we do it now, there might not be any animals to study. also, if we do not protecet these animals, their ecosysytems and food chains could be drastically affected to a point where nothing could be able to live on the galapagos islands and they would become completely deserted.
NO LEAVE ANIMALS ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST LET THEM BE OR ELSE I MIGHT CRY. Why do we always got to mess with the animals when they are plentiful. Do the animals observe us? NO. We shall make sure those asnimals stay there and the people messing with them can get out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just playing, but yea, lets just wait till the animal population increases to where the animals who are endangered will not be in risk of extinction.
timmy buck buck
timmy buck buck

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:58 am

tweetywizard wrote: I believe that saving the endangered species even if people wouldn't be able to look and learn about them is important. This is important because if the species on the island go extinct then the thing that made the island unique will be gone (the animals). The island will always be there, the animals won't, so we have to take good care of them so that once we save the endangered animals, the people and other tourist will be able to go and learn about them. So Lets Save Those Animals People!!!
I agree I the Galapagos islands aren't safe, then what is. What is the point of all these animal protection laws if we still constantly invade and pollute their habitats? There are just some places that need to be left as they are, away from human activity. Smile
Suga-Mama
Suga-Mama

Back to top Go down

Post  Siillee-Differenter Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:53 pm

timmy buck buck wrote:If it is causing them to become endangered then it is not worth it. Studying them just so that they become endangered and extinct is a waste of time.You can't get those animals back but people will always be able to vist the islands and as or human rights, just tell them to get out they feelings and move on with their lives.

cheers -Its truely NOT worth it. We have plenty of other things to explore that will not be harmful to the animals. The people have no reason to get mad if they knew how they were effecting these endangered species.

Siillee-Differenter

Back to top Go down

Post  tweetywizard Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:55 pm

penguin94 wrote: if we prevent the animals from becoming endandgered or extinict, then we can study them later when there are more of them. if we do it now, there might not be any animals to study.

I agree with you on your statement because like you said if we take care of the animals now, we can study them later. Most of the time the U.S. doesn't think of the future when they make decisions, so if we start doing that we can change some things.

tweetywizard

Back to top Go down

Post  tweetywizard Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:03 pm

iluvowls wrote: . It is not neccessary for people to look at and study animals, especially since it can result in the animals dying off. Humans have already endangered thse animals by spilling the oil from the boat that killed off more than %60 of the geicos. The result of causing these animals to be endangered is that it can effect our food chain.

I agree with you on what you said. Humans are so careless when it comes to other people or species because most of them think that it doesn't affect them but it does. Like you said, one species dying out will affect the WHOLE food chain. INCLUDING US!!

tweetywizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:42 pm

iluvowls wrote: I believe it is more important to protect the endangered animals then to make Galapagos accessible for humans to study the wildlife. It is not neccessary for people to look at and study animals, especially since it can result in the animals dying off. Humans have already endangered thse animals by spilling the oil from the boat that killed off more than %60 of the geicos. The result of causing these animals to be endangered is that it can effect our food chain. Animals that feed on these animals will not have them so they will start to eat other animals which are needed for another species to eat which will in turn, kill off a species. It is important thaat humans give animals their own environments to live.
That is so true. Humans can't do anything on the planet without effecting an ecosystem somehow. How can one species be so irrespnsible and DIRTY!? That is why i believe that the Galapagos should be left alone because the risk of human destruction grows the longer people stay on the islands. It is better to just stop populating the Galapagos and reduce out pollution there as much as possible. Hopefully the natural beauty of the islands will recover and go back to the way it was before people started settling there.
Suga-Mama
Suga-Mama

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2