Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos

+9
20north_star12
animalluver
GummyBearLove
londylou
snookieluvs2tan
whatitdochickado
earthycolors
smiley11
Admin
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos Empty 5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos

Post  Admin Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 am

Watch National Geographic's "Humans Threatening Galapagos", located at http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/news/culture-places-news/galapagos-invasive-wcvin.html . Reflect on the video and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. In your opinion, which of the following is more important:
A. protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may
not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands
B. protecting the rights of individuals to visit & learn about the wildlife on the
Galapagos Islands, even though some species may go extinct as a result
Defend your selection.

2. What is biodiversity? Why is it important to our world? How does the impact of humans on the Galapagos Islands threaten the world's biodiversity? Short of banning human visitors from the Galapagos Islands, what initiatives can we take to protect the animals on these islands?

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, October 20 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, October22 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

https://hancockhonorsbio.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos Empty Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos

Post  smiley11 Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:12 pm

I think that we should try to protect the endangered and threatened speice form extinction. But the thing is, people should be able to learn about the animals that are being protected though. How would people learn to protect animals endangered and threatened if they don't know anything about the animals...the people should be able to visit the animals as well, because that is just wrong to know about the animals but not actually see them...
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos Empty [Enter clever title here]

Post  earthycolors Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:34 pm

2. What is biodiversity? Why is it important to our world? How does the impact of humans on the Galapagos Islands threaten the world's biodiversity? Short of banning human visitors from the Galapagos Islands, what initiatives can we take to protect the animals on these islands?

Biodiversity is the diversity or number of different types of animals of the world. It is important to our world because it acts as a kind of checks and balances of the ecosystem. It prevents over population while also preventing species to go extinct. It's important because with biodiversity, every animal has an animal or plant it can eat. The visitation of humans on the Galapagos Islands threaten the world's biodiversity because the more humans that visit the islands, the more CO2 emissions, waste, and habitat destruction there is. All of those factors play a role in wiping out animals and reducing their numbers. Shorter numbers mean eventual endangerment and extinction. Extinction of a species means that the animals that ate those animals would have to find another type of animal to eat or face extinction, and the process goes on. Also extinction of species of animals means overpopulation of the animals that that animal used to eat, which also throws off the balance of biodiversity. To protect the animals, we can pass laws and acts that makes more things if not all things on the island recyclable, then all trash can be recycled. Another one is to pass an act saying that all cars on the island must be eco friendly with electric-powered, corn oil (or whatever its called) powered, or steam-powered (yes, they have those) cars.
afro

Last edited by earthycolors on Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : forgot the afro-man)
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos Empty boom boom boom

Post  whatitdochickado Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:22 pm

A. protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands
B. protecting the rights of individuals to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands, even though some species may go extinct as a result
Defend your selection.

i think option a s more important. because if we take back on all the special vacations to the islands, not only will we be doing a favor for the endangered and threatened species but we'll also be helping ourselves. whenever someone travels, pollution is set out and it damages our environment. so if we cut down on cars and busses for transpotation and used less fuel using stuff like bikes and walking we can do our world a great favor.

whatitdochickado

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos Empty A.E.H!! is the BEST!

Post  snookieluvs2tan Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:14 pm

I think that protecting the endangered species of the Galapagos Islands is more important than tourism and people's "rights." I think that the animals have more rights than anything else, because they were there first. It's really strange to think that the animals have been living there for centuries, and then about 100 years ago, humans step on the scene, and everything begins to go awry. If I were an animal, I'd be like, "What the heck!" to all these human invasions. When the video first began, I was looking at all the animals, thinking that they were the only inhabitants on the island. But then, I saw a bus and some other cars, and I was amazed.
The animals have the right to live where they have been, and humans need to leave this place alone. For one, it's throwing off the ecosystem with all the different types of pathogens tourists bring with them and leave to the ecosystem.
Also, I think that for once, people dont need to jump on to every type of monetary opportunity they see, because it is not worth it to the animals. People may travel to the Galapagos Islands for just a short visit to see the island, eat the food, and see all the different types of animals. But, this "world" that the video described will not be there if people continue to trodd in and destruct these precious habitats.

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos Empty Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos

Post  londylou Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:30 pm

In your opinion, which of the following is more important:
A. protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may

Protecting the endangered & threatened species from extinction is waaaaay more important than protecting the rights of individuals to visit and learn about the wildlife. So what if someone cant take a vacation to the Galapagos?! There are THOUSANDS of other vacation spots. Stopping the potential extinction of threatened species is a little bit more meaningful than someone's momentary happiness.

londylou

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos Empty HEY I FOUND THE CLOWN FACE..LOL

Post  GummyBearLove Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:36 pm

B. protecting the rights of individuals to visit & learn about the wildlife on the
Defend your selection

I totally feel like..forget the people who just want to learn BUT dont care about the animals becoming endangered & threatened. LIke its so much better to just preserve what we have and try to make it more diverse and expand on the population of certain animals than to not care or just worry about the well being of humans. What about the well being of a population of an animals? What happens if the animals living on the Galapagos island are vital to the food web of humans, and they end up going extinct. We would be screwed as a human race. I think that humans worry too much about themselves. Even if they arent huge environmentalist they should at least care so much to an extent of how their actions of selflessness can hurt the diversity of animals.So to wrap this up ( Very Happy ) its SOOOO much more important to protect the animals.. clown <<< hey its a clown Smile

GummyBearLove

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:31 pm

londylou wrote:In your opinion, which of the following is more important:

Protecting the endangered & threatened species from extinction is waaaaay more important than protecting the rights of individuals to visit and learn about the wildlife. So what if someone cant take a vacation to the Galapagos?! There are THOUSANDS of other vacation spots. Stopping the potential extinction of threatened species is a little bit more meaningful than someone's momentary happiness.

I completely agree with you!!!!!!! I definitely believe that we should save the endangered animals than really care about people being happy and take vacations where they want, they can do that whenever they want and be happy whenever but the animals that are endangered are only here for a littlte while before thwy are extinct.
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

Post  animalluver Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:16 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:1. In your opinion, which of the following is more important:
A. protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands
B. protecting the rights of individuals to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands, even though some species may go extinct as a result
Defend your selection.

i think option a s more important. because if we take back on all the special vacations to the islands, not only will we be doing a favor for the endangered and threatened species but we'll also be helping ourselves. whenever someone travels, pollution is set out and it damages our environment. so if we cut down on cars and busses for transpotation and used less fuel using stuff like bikes and walking we can do our world a great favor.

I agree. And those poor animals. They don't deserve to die because of the selfishness and recklessness of humans. People are so stupid, and I think it's obvious by my screen name that I support the protection of animals Smile

animalluver

Back to top Go down

Post  animalluver Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:19 pm

I agreeeeee! Humans are naturally selfish; we always want more. We especially want something we cant have or shouldn't have, because of the scandal. But whatever, people are retarded and those animals shouldn't die because little kids want to run around and play and adults want to hang out and relax; they can do that at home, or even at some other vacation destination. The don't need go there specifically, so they shouldn't.

animalluver

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:22 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:I think that protecting the endangered species of the Galapagos Islands is more important than tourism and people's "rights." I think that the animals have more rights than anything else, because they were there first. It's really strange to think that the animals have been living there for centuries, and then about 100 years ago, humans step on the scene, and everything begins to go awry. If I were an animal, I'd be like, "What the heck!" to all these human invasions. When the video first began, I was looking at all the animals, thinking that they were the only inhabitants on the island. But then, I saw a bus and some other cars, and I was amazed.
The animals have the right to live where they have been, and humans need to leave this place alone. For one, it's throwing off the ecosystem with all the different types of pathogens tourists bring with them and leave to the ecosystem.
Also, I think that for once, people dont need to jump on to every type of monetary opportunity they see, because it is not worth it to the animals. People may travel to the Galapagos Islands for just a short visit to see the island, eat the food, and see all the different types of animals. But, this "world" that the video described will not be there if people continue to trodd in and destruct these precious habitats.

I completely agree with you!!! The animals safety should come before the happiness of the people...if these animals are endangered then they won't be able to come and stay a while like the humans can...yea, humans can read about the place and not always have to go and see the place in person.
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:29 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:I think that protecting the endangered species of the Galapagos Islands is more important than tourism and people's "rights." I think that the animals have more rights than anything else, because they were there first. It's really strange to think that the animals have been living there for centuries, and then about 100 years ago, humans step on the scene, and everything begins to go awry. If I were an animal, I'd be like, "What the heck!" to all these human invasions. When the video first began, I was looking at all the animals, thinking that they were the only inhabitants on the island. But then, I saw a bus and some other cars, and I was amazed.

Bravo on a great post. I totally agree with everything you just said. Those poor animals were here first so they really do deserve the most rights. Its just like the Christopher Columbus thing. The indians were here first and the Europeans brought over germs and pathogens that weakened the native Indian tribes to near extinction. This is most likely what will happen to the animals on the Galapagos if nothing is done to stop this.

londylou

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:30 pm

I agree with you totally londylou. There are other spots to go to have vacations. If we keep acting that way we are, we'll end up wiping an entire species off the face of the planet. We can't allow that and can't afford to throw the ecosystem out of whack. They just don't know... or they don't care what effects the other animals have on us. They don't know how much of an impact that killing an entire species will have on us. Until we start to feel the effects of endangering a certain species, we'll keep doing what we're doing.
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:31 pm

GummyBearLove wrote:1. In your opinion, which of the following is more important:
Defend your selection

I totally feel like..forget the people who just want to learn BUT dont care about the animals becoming endangered & threatened. LIke its so much better to just preserve what we have and try to make it more diverse and expand on the population of certain animals than to not care or just worry about the well being of humans. What about the well being of a population of an animals? What happens if the animals living on the Galapagos island are vital to the food web of humans, and they end up going extinct. We would be screwed as a human race. I think that humans worry too much about themselves. Even if they arent huge environmentalist they should at least care so much to an extent of how their actions of selflessness can hurt the diversity of animals.So to wrap this up ( Very Happy ) its SOOOO much more important to protect the animals.. clown <<< hey its a clown Smile

I totally agree with you, gummybearlove... and i love the clown face. But on a serious note, I too think that people just care too much about themselves than about other animals that will go extinct if we keep going the route we are going. It's like dumb people don't realize what harming the ecosystem and throwing biodiversity out of whack can harm us too. I mean what happens when the buffalo go extinct because we keep killing them intentially and destroying their habitats? It will cause over crowding of the plants that animal ate and may cause the species that ate the buffalo to dwindle in numbers.
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

Post  20north_star12 Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:32 pm

smiley11 wrote:I think that we should try to protect the endangered and threatened speice form extinction. But the thing is, people should be able to learn about the animals that are being protected though. How would people learn to protect animals endangered and threatened if they don't know anything about the animals...the people should be able to visit the animals as well, because that is just wrong to know about the animals but not actually see them...

I like your perspective. Fundamentally, it is sound. However, I question whether or not people actually travel to the Galapagos Islands as often as suggested. Most people tend to travel to more popular vacation spots. I also wonder what you're opinion on zoos are. Is it really right for us to cage animals purely for the amusement of it? Yes, in a sense it is helping to save them from becoming naturally endangered; however, is it not one less animal out in the environment that could be helping to repopulate the species?

20north_star12

Back to top Go down

Post  GummyBearLove Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:35 pm

smiley11 wrote:I think that we should try to protect the endangered and threatened speice form extinction. But the thing is, people should be able to learn about the animals that are being protected though. How would people learn to protect animals endangered and threatened if they don't know anything about the animals...the people should be able to visit the animals as well, because that is just wrong to know about the animals but not actually see them...

i totally agree with you. I dont see how we really could say we are going to protect the animals if we dont know what we can do to start. Although there are so many different endangered and threatened species, i think you could learn whats native to the region you live, or like to visit. And i also think it is very true that we should try to go "visit" the animals because pictures sometimes dont do the animal justice. So i think if we have the chance to go see them.

GummyBearLove

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:40 pm

It is more important to protect the environment. If the human population on the Galapagos Islands continues to grow we may see the destruction of one of the most historically important areas in the world. Besides, really you need to visit the place? Read a freaking book for chad's sake!

Last edited by Communistkid on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Communistkid
Communistkid

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos Empty ...

Post  Love_Muffins Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:45 pm

I think A. protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may
not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands, is more important because the animals there are apart of this food chain that effects use all. if even one of the those animals goes instinct that the rest of us are hurt as well.
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:47 pm

Humans have evolved to the point where we don't need to experience something to learn about it. I can explain to you what a bird is and you would understand even if you never saw one. We don't need to see these animals just learn about them.
Communistkid
Communistkid

Back to top Go down

Post  Love_Muffins Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Communistkid wrote:1. In your opinion, which of the following is more important:
Defend your selection.

It is more important to protect the environment. If the human population on the Galapagos Islands continues to grow we may see the destruction of one of the most historically important areas in the world. Besides, really you need to visit the place? Read a freaking book for chad's sake!

Yeah. And the people down there should care because if something happen down there they will be the first to be impacted.
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos Empty I AGREE.!

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Thank you im happy someone understands that there is more to life than vacationing in exotic spots. I dont even know why that would even be seen as a debate...because its useless!!!!! Its ridiculous how self indulged some people can be.
FounderofGFFandBabycat
FounderofGFFandBabycat

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos Empty i like the title

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:08 pm

earthycolors wrote:2. What is biodiversity? Why is it important to our world? How does the impact of humans on the Galapagos Islands threaten the world's biodiversity? Short of banning human visitors from the Galapagos Islands, what initiatives can we take to protect the animals on these islands?

Biodiversity is the diversity or number of different types of animals of the world. It is important to our world because it acts as a kind of checks and balances of the ecosystem. It prevents over population while also preventing species to go extinct. It's important because with biodiversity, every animal has an animal or plant it can eat.
afro

I think that biodiversity is in a way just like the government they keep everything in balance by EATING YOU UP.! I just thought it was really ironic because the government is just like a cycle of corruption and taking over one another. yeah just thought it was funny Smile
FounderofGFFandBabycat
FounderofGFFandBabycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:42 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:
earthycolors wrote:2. What is biodiversity? Why is it important to our world? How does the impact of humans on the Galapagos Islands threaten the world's biodiversity? Short of banning human visitors from the Galapagos Islands, what initiatives can we take to protect the animals on these islands?

Biodiversity is the diversity or number of different types of animals of the world. It is important to our world because it acts as a kind of checks and balances of the ecosystem. It prevents over population while also preventing species to go extinct. It's important because with biodiversity, every animal has an animal or plant it can eat.
afro

I think that biodiversity is in a way just like the government they keep everything in balance by EATING YOU UP.! I just thought it was really ironic because the government is just like a cycle of corruption and taking over one another. yeah just thought it was funny Smile

Government isn't corrupt. It's people.
Communistkid
Communistkid

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:49 pm

Communistkid wrote:1. In your opinion, which of the following is more important:

I like the way you think Commie kid! I agree, people dont need to go to every single place they see, book the tickets on Expedia, and then go. You're right: read a dang book!

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:01 pm

GummyBearLove wrote:1. In your opinion, which of the following is more important:
Defend your selection

What you're saying may be a tad bit exaggerated. "we would be screwed as a human race," sounds a bit over the top, mainly because the video stated that the Galapagos Islands were once only inhabited by plants and wildlife. Humans only showed up about a century ago (100 yrs). Therefore, if humans were not there NOW, animals would not be vital to the human food chain, so the animals would not have a reason to become extinct. It is because of the humans that the ANIMALS are becoming endangered. To be honest, your post is lacking a clear cause and effect statement, as well as substance. Also, selflessness can only help the animals, not hurt them.

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next