Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

+11
mexicanapplethief
20north_star12
smiley11
londylou
snookieluvs2tan
MiszCheesekake41
FounderofGFFandBabycat
violinist13
whatitdochickado
earthycolors
Admin
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - The Colony - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  smiley11 Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:31 pm

whippersnappkid wrote:1. Of the things the colonists made priorities during their beginning time on the compound, which one do you think was most important? Why? Which of their priorities would not have been a priority if you had been involved in the colony? Why?

I believe that everything the team covered in The Colony was important, overall I think that finding water is the most important. Followed right after by security and shelter. As soon as I had an encountering with a hostile outsider, I would have started to find weapons and protection. It isn't good when you work hard to find water and food, just to have it stolen.

That's a good point, everything was important. I would have done the same thing, as soon as me and the other people in the colony got used to each other we would have to start looking for water and a good place to stay. After the intruders came the first time I would have started looking for thing to be used as weapons to protect myself and everyone else. it is a hassle to find water and food just to have someone else take it away from you

Last edited by smiley11 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - The Colony - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  smiley11 Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:46 pm

earthycolors wrote:1. Of the things the colonists made priorities during their beginning time on the compound, which one do you think was most important? Why? Which of their priorities would not have been a priority if you had been involved in the colony? Why?

Answer: Most likely, one of the most important things they did was bring all of the supplies they found in they're chosen house, which was another priority, they needed to find shelter fast and they did just that. That was important too. But the most important was bring all the supplies like food and medical supplies etc into their belonging. If I was in the colony, claiming a house would'nt have been one of the main priorities because fetching water is obviously more important than finding a house to sleep in. And fetching water is a much more harder and time consuming mission than just pointing your finger and saying, "that one". At least in my opinion.

Good point, the food and water should have been their main conserne because your right all they would have to do is look around and point to say "that's the house we are gunna stay in". They should have put all their belongings together as soon as they got in the house so they wouldn't have to go between the house and the tent thing. Yea, finding water ans food would have taken most of their time so they should have done that first
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - The Colony - Page 2 Empty mentally UNSTABLE..!!

Post  GummyBearLove Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:44 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:If I were to be placed in that same scenario for 50+days, I know that for the first 25 I would possibly be breaking down mentally every night. I think that I would try my best to put on a show of strength BUT deep down I would think I would be doomed.

that is exactly what i thought about. Even though i would look strong on the outside i would be basically dying on the inside. I think that when it all comes down to it, its mostly a mental situation. I mean if your not strong physically then you wont really be gaining anything. But it you have to make yourself stay mentally stable thats alot of work when your in that situation. If you tell yourself that your doomed, then MOST likely you pretty much are. Very Happy

GummyBearLove

Back to top Go down

Post  GummyBearLove Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:56 pm

20north_star12 wrote:The 72 hours in isolation beforehand would drive me nuts as I don't care for that much alone time.

EXACTLY..!! i hate being by myself seeing as though i am a peoples person lol. but its cool i think after a while you get used to it. Its pretty funny how you can transform that much to fit a lifestyle that you have no choice to adapt to. But I think after a while its a lot easier Like a Star @ heaven

GummyBearLove

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:40 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?

If i was in one of these situations for 50+ days; I would be scared outta my mind to start with. but i'd try my best to help and not be lazy. (*cough-cough-george-cough-cough*) I would handle it pretty well for the most part I would say because I am kinda out spoken and i am a pretty good problem solver. just gimme lotsa time to think about it. I think i would be able to bring a few good qualities; i can swim really well, im somewhat strong, i can think well on the my feet for the most part. besides i like this kinda stuff. except eating pigs... pig with maggots... that freaked me out. haha. gracias for reading! ta ta for now!

See what it do chicka do, that's the thing, you dont have time to think about it. You need to be able to think quickly on your feet and be able to do thinks without trial and error, because you dont have that kind of time. But, I agree with what you're saying. I like you!

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:42 pm

GummyBearLove wrote:
20north_star12 wrote:The 72 hours in isolation beforehand would drive me nuts as I don't care for that much alone time.

EXACTLY..!! i hate being by myself seeing as though i am a peoples person lol. but its cool i think after a while you get used to it. Its pretty funny how you can transform that much to fit a lifestyle that you have no choice to adapt to. But I think after a while its a lot easier Like a Star @ heaven

I so totally agree with the both of you. If my parents leave me at home by myself for more than a day, I begin talking to myself and going crazy. It feels so good to be around civilization after a long time in isolation. Here here!

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:25 pm

mexicanapplethief wrote:"The Colony" was a fairly easy viewing, however, the whole fight scene in part 4 was just so slow and drained of any reality that it destroyed the integrity of the experiment, there would not have been any survivors. I realize it's just TV and all but I really wish someone would just sign to an ethics-free contract and have anything go, not that I'm just morbid enough to watch people die on TV for fun, but simply to see what would happen, even though it is most likely that a 3:1 invader to survivor ratio would end in death for the survivors.

OMG THANK. YOU!!!! The fight part made me soooo mad. And Im sure they'd never make up an ethics-free contract for the show, but that would have made it a whole lot better.

londylou

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:37 am

20north_star12 wrote:2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?

Being placed in a situation like this would be difficult on anyone mentally and physically. The 72 hours in isolation beforehand would drive me nuts as I don't care for that much alone time. I think that after getting into the right mindset, I would be able to help figure out how to solve problems like converting the buildings into places suitable to live in. I would also be good at figuring out how to find sources of food and water. I would also be able to help build a fire. Very Happy . Even though I am not that big in size, I could hold my own against other colonies that would try to come and take over.

Yes it really would drive me nuts being isolated for 72 hours. I hate being alone for even a couple hours without getting depressed or bored or lonely. I would be good at finding food and water because I'm fat lol!

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:55 am

smiley11 wrote:I like how the group was slowly coming together and accepting each other as individuals (some what) They are kinda starting to bond, which is good when you have to live with them for 50+ days. If I was in the colony with them I could try and help build things and help to try and catch fish. I may be small but I'm strong to a extent. tongue I could be used as a diversion if needed for everyone to get away and could have some knowledge good or useful to everyone

I agree with your post and I find it reaaly funny that you talked about catching fish because I just went fishing for my first time the other day . lol! Maybe some of the people in this world or our school should be put in a situation like this so they'd be more accepting of each other. Like a Star @ heaven

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2