Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Hour - RACE

+7
krazedxasylum
penguin94
gamerdude94
Suga-Mama
Communistkid
tw33tybirdn3rd
Admin
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

3rd Hour - RACE - Page 2 Empty Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  gamerdude94 Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:54 pm

krazedxasylum wrote:One huge misconception i had was about the Kenyan runners, when it came to running and distance in track and field events. The Long distance races are predominately won by the Kenyans and/or other East African countries. As ignorant as i may seem, i thought this was because of there build after walking many miles for such needed materials as water and food. I am actually ashamed that i thought this and did not consider their geography. Actually, Kenyans dominate distance running because their bodies have adapted to the high altitude conditions.

Another thing that the website mentioned is that there is almost no true difference in the variation of people. The difference in skin color is a result of the geography of your ancestors. And its funny because through all through DNA a scientist cant even tell what race your are.

Thats pretty interesting about the kenyan runners. I had always thought since kenyans had to traverse long distances is why they could win. I never knew that high altitude is the reason. Thats pretty cool

gamerdude94

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - RACE - Page 2 Empty Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  penguin94 Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:58 pm

iluvowls wrote:one misconception that the website cleared up was that people are a certain color for a reason. Some people need to be darker so that they can stay safe from the sun. One thing that i disagree about is that race doesn't exist. I don't think that it is possible for one person to stay in the sun long enough and just turn into a totally different looking person. I also don't think that a sun tan would pass down generations. So, yes i do think people are a certain a race but they were put on the Earth that way for a specific reason. I don't think evolution made them turn that way. The website says that Race comes from people passes down almost all of the same traits in DNA. It alsos says that people of different races can share the same traits.
Good Point Smile i think that we were all one color one time and then some of our ancestors moved to a place with a lot of sunlight and so they needed darker skin. then through evolution, the body found out it would just be easier to be born a certain color instead of having to adjust to the light.
penguin94
penguin94

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2