Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - The Faces of Science

+13
whatitdochickado
GummyBearLove
MiszCheesekake41
londylou
snookieluvs2tan
soccergal93
violinist13
smiley11
Love_Muffins
whippersnappkid
FounderofGFFandBabycat
earthycolors
Admin
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

5th Hour - The Faces of Science Empty 5th Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  Admin Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:59 am

DUE TO SNOW DAYS & POSSIBLE POWER OUTAGES, THIS DISCUSSION BOARD WILL BE DUE ON MONDAY, FEBRUARY 7 BY MIDNIGHT. THIS DEADLINE INCLUDES YOUR ORIGINAL POST AND YOUR RESPONSE POSTINGS.

Please visit The Faces of Science at https://webfiles.uci.edu/mcbrown/display/faces.html . Find an area in science that interests you and lightly research an African-American contributor to this field. Answer BOTH of the questions below regarding your research.

1. In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this scientist?
2. Why do you think it's important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of African-Americans, as we will be doing throughout the month of February?

Initial Post & Response Postings Due by 11:59 am on Monday, February 7.

Admin
Admin

https://hancockhonorsbio.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Faces of Science Empty Llood Augustus Hall

Post  earthycolors Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:35 am

1. In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this scientist?
2. Why do you think it's important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of African-Americans, as we will be doing throughout the month of February?

Lloyd Hall studied the preservatives that gave food more shelf time and completely redid it. He created new better preservatives that kept food fresh longer while still maintaining its taste. Much of the preservatives are still used today. What impressed me the most is that society still hasn't improved on his work. He was THAT much more ahead than everybody else in his time. It's important to recognize the accomplishments of African Americans because much of the stuff that we use today was invented by them, Like Frederick Jones, who invented the Refrigeration System; and Lewis Latimer, who invented the long life lightbulb (not the light bulb); and even Patricia Bath, who invented a form of laser eye surgury.
afro
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Faces of Science Empty i hope you go on dictionary.com to get what im saying because i used some pretty BIG words...js

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:47 am

Some contributions of Katherine G. Johnson are that she aided in creating space crafts for N.A.S.A such as space navigation and even the Earth Resources Satellite. What impressed me about her was that she was few of the black women involved in this type of science.

I think that it is important for people to learn about the bonafide accolade's of african-americasn because it takes away the idiotic stereo types over how all black are dumb and ghetto and it also gives some people someone to look up to and know that achieving altitudinous goals are possible.
FounderofGFFandBabycat
FounderofGFFandBabycat

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Faces of Science Empty Re: 5th Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  whippersnappkid Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Archibald Alexander studied bridge design at the University of London. As a designer for the Marsh Engineering Company, he was responsible for the design of the Tidal Basin Bridge in Washington. Later he and a former university classmate, formed a general contracting business that specialized in the design and construction of steel and concrete bridges

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Plane_over_Washington_Memorial.jpg
Here is a link to Archibald's Tidal Basin Bridge, my favorite of his work.

I feel that it is important to know about the accomplishments African American's have made to break the stereotypes. We also need to embrace these accomplishments so that the equality that past leaders have worked hard for would stick around now, and in years to come.

I really like that you can accidently press the back button, then come back to this page to find that your writing will still be there. =]
whippersnappkid
whippersnappkid

Back to top Go down

Post  Love_Muffins Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:14 pm

The person I pick is Augustus Nathaniel Lushington. What impressed me about him is that he was the first African American to become a Veterinarian. I think it's important because people need to know what blacks did to contribute to this world so that we don't go back to a time where blacks were put down and thought as bad people.
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

Post  Love_Muffins Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:16 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:1. In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this scientist?

Some contributions of Katherine G. Johnson are that she aided in creating space crafts for N.A.S.A such as space navigation and even the Earth Resources Satellite. What impressed me about her was that she was few of the black women involved in this type of science.

I think that it is important for people to learn about the bonafide accolade's of african-americasn because it takes away the idiotic stereo types over how all black are dumb and ghetto and it also gives some people someone to look up to and know that achieving altitudinous goals are possible.

She is also somebody i would have pick. She did a great thing for blacks. And i think that many people don't think of black as "ghettos" any more.
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

Post  Love_Muffins Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:24 pm

earthycolors wrote:1. In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this scientist?

Lloyd Hall studied the preservatives that gave food more shelf time and completely redid it. He created new better preservatives that kept food fresh longer while still maintaining its taste. Much of the preservatives are still used today. What impressed me the most is that society still hasn't improved on his work. He was THAT much more ahead than everybody else in his time. It's important to recognize the accomplishments of African Americans because much of the stuff that we use today was invented by them, Like Frederick Jones, who invented the Refrigeration System; and Lewis Latimer, who invented the long life lightbulb (not the light bulb); and even Patricia Bath, who invented a form of laser eye surgury.
afro

This is a great person because he did something that we still use today. Many people might not even know that a black personhelp discover this.
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Faces of Science Empty Jewel Plummer Cobb

Post  smiley11 Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:21 pm

I chose Jewel Plummer Cobb who was a female Biologist and a Physiologist. Jewel was mainly known for herwork with skin pigment, or melanin. What impressed me about her was that she had created a privately founded program for minorities who wanted to enter the sciences and in her tireless efforts, it extended opportunities to women as well.

I think that its important for students and teachers to learn about the accomplishments of African-Americans because without the invention of some of these amazing people we wouldn't be able to do half of the things we do today.
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:51 pm

smiley11 wrote:1. In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this scientist?

I chose Jewel Plummer Cobb who was a female Biologist and a Physiologist. Jewel was mainly known for herwork with skin pigment, or melanin. What impressed me about her was that she had created a privately founded program for minorities who wanted to enter the sciences and in her tireless efforts, it extended opportunities to women as well.

I think that its important for students and teachers to learn about the accomplishments of African-Americans because without the invention of some of these amazing people we wouldn't be able to do half of the things we do today.

that is really cool, I had no idea that a black woman created a small program for minorities involving skin pigment. And I agree with the second statement. Without black people, a little less that half the stuff we have wouldn't be here. Go educated lack people!
afro
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:53 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:1. In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this scientist?

The person I pick is Augustus Nathaniel Lushington. What impressed me about him is that he was the first African American to become a Veterinarian. I think it's important because people need to know what blacks did to contribute to this world so that we don't go back to a time where blacks were put down and thought as bad people.

I agree with you on this one. And that is pretty amazing to be the first black veterinarian. And also I agree that we must break these stupid stereotypes about black people.
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Faces of Science Empty African American Scientist

Post  violinist13 Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:35 pm

2. Why do you think it's important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of African-Americans, as we will be doing throughout the month of February

The scientist that I choose was Dr. William Micheal Bright. Dr. Bright was born in Elizabeth City, North Carolina on January 27, 1901.Dr. Bright seved as an Instructor for Biology at Kentucky State College from 1930 to 1931. Dr. Bright was appointed Professor at Louisville Municipal College from 1931 to 1950. He served as Chairman of the Department of Anatomy, Meharry Medical College, beginning in 1950.
I think its important because it will make everybody feel that they are still equal and help make this world a better place and its history.
violinist13
violinist13

Back to top Go down

Post  violinist13 Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:05 pm

[quote="earthycolors"]
Lloyd Hall studied the preservatives that gave food more shelf time and completely redid it. He created new better preservatives that kept food fresh longer while still maintaining its taste. Much of the preservatives are still used today. What impressed me the most is that society still hasn't improved on his work. [/qoute]

I agree i do think its amazing that they havent improved his work.

violinist13
violinist13

Back to top Go down

Post  violinist13 Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:08 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote: I think that it is important for people to learn about the bonafide accolade's of african-americasn because it takes away the idiotic stereo types over how all black are dumb and ghetto and it also gives some people someone to look up to and know that achieving altitudinous goals are possible.

I agree with you i think it is stupid that we all are still raciest today lol when we all are created equal.
violinist13
violinist13

Back to top Go down

Post  soccergal93 Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:05 am

Otis Boykin invented a number of electronic devices, such as a control unit for an artificial heart simulator (pacemaker), and a type of resistor used in computers, radios, TV's, and many other electronic devices. He also invented a burglar-proof cash register and a chemical air filter. It impressed me that he attended the Illinois Institute of Technology, and became educated enough to produce all of these amazing ideas and inventions. During the 1940's racial tensions were high, and he built a very respectable and honorable reputation for himself and didn't let the stereotypes around him affect what he could be capable of.

It's important for students and teachers to take time to recognize accomplishments of African-Americans because we need to remind ourselves how people used to think, how different times used to be, and how proud we should be of the way we turned ourselves around with the streotypes people used to have. We need to respect all of the leaders and people before us who worked so hard their entire lives for people to change the way they thought. We should honor their wishes and everything they worked for before us and work together to abandon racism and all other stereotypes and realize how we're all the same, we can all educate ourselves to have the same capabilities and opportunities no matter what skin color you have.

soccergal93

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:30 pm

violinist13 wrote:1. In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this scientist?
2. Why do you think it's important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of African-Americans, as we will be doing throughout the month of February

The scientist that I choose was Dr. William Micheal Bright. Dr. Bright was born in Elizabeth City, North Carolina on January 27, 1901.Dr. Bright seved as an Instructor for Biology at Kentucky State College from 1930 to 1931. Dr. Bright was appointed Professor at Louisville Municipal College from 1931 to 1950. He served as Chairman of the Department of Anatomy, Meharry Medical College, beginning in 1950.
I think its important because it will make everybody feel that they are still equal and help make this world a better place and its history.

I agree, learning about African-Americans can help people remember that we are all equal no matter what color our skin is. Both cultures have done amazing things.
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:1. In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this scientist?

That's pretty cool that he was the first Veterinarian. Totally agree about that, people should learn about African-Americans so that we can see eye to eye and try to understand each other.
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Faces of Science Empty MLK would be 80 yrs old

Post  snookieluvs2tan Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:35 pm

I chose to research Marguerite Thomas Williams. Williams was a geologist and geographer. She graduated from Howard University in 1923 with her Bachelor's degree. She also went on to Columbia University and received her Master's degree. Columbia University is an Ivy League college. I was most impressed with the fact that Williams was the first African American, male or female to earn a doctorate in geology in the United States.
I believe that is important for students and teachers to recognize the accompishments of African Americans because it is important to know the history of figures of the past. Also, it shows us (African Americans) that we can be anything we want to be, because people were doing it during a lot tougher time than ours.

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:38 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:1. In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this scientist?

I agree. Not every single person is an Antoine Dodson...Obviously. Also, people do need someone to look up to. I really like that Ben Carson guy, but I didnt want to sound too black... G.A.L.A.C.T.I.C.

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:41 pm

whippersnappkid wrote:Archibald Alexander studied bridge design at the University of London. As a designer for the Marsh Engineering Company, he was responsible for the design of the Tidal Basin Bridge in Washington. Later he and a former university classmate, formed a general contracting business that specialized in the design and construction of steel and concrete bridges

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Plane_over_Washington_Memorial.jpg
Here is a link to Archibald's Tidal Basin Bridge, my favorite of his work.

I feel that it is important to know about the accomplishments African American's have made to break the stereotypes. We also need to embrace these accomplishments so that the equality that past leaders have worked hard for would stick around now, and in years to come.

I really like that you can accidently press the back button, then come back to this page to find that your writing will still be there. =]

yES. we don need to break the stereotypes. Im sick of people acting like all black people are the same way. loud, ghetto, and obnoxious. Obviously, Pres. Obama is not like that. and not every black person likes fried chicken to an obsession (lookin @ you popeyes) It's really annoying that whenever we have black history month, some people treat it like it's nothing, or they make fun of black people.

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Faces of Science Empty BLACK HAIR!

Post  londylou Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:41 pm

1. Madame C.J. Walker, born Sarah Breedlove became one of the first Black women of any rank to become a millionaire through her own efforts. She created a hair care system that consisted of a shampoo, a pomade "hair-grower", vigorous brushing, and the application of heated iron combs to the hair. The "method" she used transformed stubborn, lusterless hair into shining smoothness, something that most black women of this time period strongly desired because they still had the mentality that black hair was bad. What impressed me the most is that she started off going door to door.

2. It is important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of black people so they can stop being so stupid and realize that all black people aren't thugs straight out of the ghetto. Also, it gives black people who actually do fit that stereotype the chance to see that there are other options for having a succesful life than selling drugs and being a prostitute/pimp. =)

-LondyLou ♥

londylou

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:50 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote: I think that it is important for people to learn about the bonafide accolade's of african-americasn because it takes away the idiotic stereo types over how all black are dumb and ghetto and it also gives some people someone to look up to and know that achieving altitudinous goals are possible.

I completly agree. Those ignorant stereotypes are disgusting, and unfortuantly some people think that they actually have to fit them. They should teach about more of these people in school b/c I have never heard of almost every person on that list b/c it can really help out individuals that believe b/c they are black, they HAVE to fit the stereotypes.

londylou

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:55 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:I chose to research Marguerite Thomas Williams. Williams was a geologist and geographer. She graduated from Howard University in 1923 with her Bachelor's degree. She also went on to Columbia University and received her Master's degree. Columbia University is an Ivy League college. I was most impressed with the fact that Williams was the first African American, male or female to earn a doctorate in geology in the United States.

Wow! I have never heard of her before. And I am very impressed with her great accomplishments. Most people look at a black person and automatically asume that they're an idiot. They need to go look up the many inventors, mathematicians, computer scientists, etc. and see just how dumb black people can be.

londylou

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:05 pm

1.Dale Emeagwali won the National Technical Association's "1996 Scientist of the Year" award. Also she found a way to better cancer treatment. This scientist impressed me because she knew what she was interested in even from childhood and went on to accomplish many things.

2. I think it is important to not only recognize Afican Amercan achievement but everyone's achievements. Scientists are the reason we have the things that we do.

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:07 pm

I really agree with your answer to question two because those stereo types get really annoying sometimes.

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:13 pm

londylou wrote:1. Madame C.J. Walker, born Sarah Breedlove became one of the first Black women of any rank to become a millionaire through her own efforts. She created a hair care system that consisted of a shampoo, a pomade "hair-grower", vigorous brushing, and the application of heated iron combs to the hair. The "method" she used transformed stubborn, lusterless hair into shining smoothness, something that most black women of this time period strongly desired because they still had the mentality that black hair was bad. What impressed me the most is that she started off going door to door.

2. It is important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of black people so they can stop being so stupid and realize that all black people aren't thugs straight out of the ghetto. Also, it gives black people who actually do fit that stereotype the chance to see that there are other options for having a succesful life than selling drugs and being a prostitute/pimp. =)

-LondyLou ♥

I didn't think of doing her. She really interts me with all her haircare stuff.

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next