Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Hour - Jennie Finch

+14
PaulyD
penguin94
tw33tybirdn3rd
calientelabios234
Hollywood
gamerdude94
timmy buck buck
RylesTuesday
Suga-Mama
Richiee12
Flipper
aMAIZEing94
tweetywizard
Pr3ttyGurlRock12
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

3rd Hour - Jennie Finch - Page 2 Empty Re: 3rd Hour - Jennie Finch

Post  GummyBearLove Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:37 pm

RylesTuesday wrote:

sports science exploratorium research: i looked at the science of skateboarding and it intrigued me. when skateboarders do one of the most basic moves, the ollie, there are 3 forces involved in performing it. there are forces of the weight of the rider, a force of gravity on the board itself and a force of the ground pushing up on the skateboard. when someone does a successful ollie jump it looks like their feet are always touching the board but they aren't. his rear foot has to lift the same time the tail of the board is rising in the air to look like his feet are stuck on the board throughout the trick. this pertains to science because of the forces pulling and pushing on the board and rider, also the laws of gravity factor into skateboarding as well.

I also found the whole skateboarding thing amazing. Its cool when you can learn about something that you wouldnt normally think about at all...I stepped out of my "box" and actually enjoyed learning about skateboarding alien << hey that thing looks weird lol

GummyBearLove

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:23 pm

tweetywizard wrote: I would have never thought that it would be harder to hit a softball than to hit a baseball. How hard a softball hits a surface and also how when a girl throws a softball and it slowly rises. I think it is so cool that a girls pitch can break gravity and slowly increase in the hieght. But i think they should have tested a girl trying to hit a baseball, because who knows, she may not be able to hit a baseball. That can be used for a new experiment. Smile

I agree. From what it looked like in the video a softball is harder to hit because of the complete visual aspect or thats what I took from it.

gamerdude94

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Flipper wrote:I thought this video was very interesting but i disagreed with the baseball player hitting both balls. I think if they were going to do it that way the should have also had a softball player hit both balls also. The baseball player is trained to hit baseballs so to me it isnt accurate data. But it is still amazing to see how the softball is harder to hit than a baseball and it packs more pound pressure than a baseball. I think the technique used to throw the balls influence how fast, powerfully and accurately they move. It is definately not the results I were expecting.

I agree. I think that would be similar to someone who typically does lay ups in basketball try to test accuracy of 3 pointers. It just doesn't add up.

gamerdude94

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvowls Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:32 am

calientelabios234 wrote: I think this experiment was very interesting. I would not have thought that hitting a softball was harder than a baseball. Partly because some people think women's sports are jokes, and that they are really easy. But I think what might cause the softball to be harder to hit than the baseball is the technique she uses to throw the ball. If you notice how they both throw the ball the baseball player turns his body while throwing once, he throws the ball his legs is off the ground which could mean his body is exerting more energy, that could take more energy to support his body subtracting the force that is used to throw the baseball. Now if you watch Jenny, she makes a giant leap and her body slightly turns and her arm is not as high as the baseball pitcher, but the ball leaves her hand before her body is off the ground it could mean that her body uses the right amount to throw the ball and the rest of the energy is used to lift her off the ground. The experiment is very nice but I would have added a girl softball player to hit both balls. Razz

I also think they should have used a girl to hit both the soft ball and baseball. Simcha they used a guy to hit the baseball, I think that caused a problem for the experiment which may have changed what the results really should have been.

iluvowls

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Jennie Finch - Page 2 Empty yeah i agree

Post  calientelabios234 Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:44 am

Flipper wrote:I thought this video was very interesting but i disagreed with the baseball player hitting both balls. I think if they were going to do it that way the should have also had a softball player hit both balls also. The baseball player is trained to hit baseballs so to me it isnt accurate data. But it is still amazing to see how the softball is harder to hit than a baseball and it packs more pound pressure than a baseball. I think the technique used to throw the balls influence how fast, powerfully and accurately they move. It is definately not the results I were expecting.

I agree that the people who conducted the experiment should have tested the baseball and a softball player. To me that was a big source of error. The results also shocked me I think we should conduct this experiment ourselves.
calientelabios234
calientelabios234

Back to top Go down

Post  calientelabios234 Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:48 am

The video was very interesting. I do not think I would have thought of an experiment like that one. I think it is very nice to use science to inhance sports skills.Smile
calientelabios234
calientelabios234

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:36 am

tweetywizard wrote: I would have never thought that it would be harder to hit a softball than to hit a baseball. How hard a softball hits a surface and also how when a girl throws a softball and it slowly rises. I think it is so cool that a girls pitch can break gravity and slowly increase in the hieght. But i think they should have tested a girl trying to hit a baseball, because who knows, she may not be able to hit a baseball. That can be used for a new experiment. Smile

I guess girls are good at something. Razz I've always found it easier to hit a softball myself, playing baseball I'm liable to strike out and quit. I could never hit a baseball no matter how hard I tried its wayyyyyy harder than what it appears to be. Seeing that I can hit a softball I should be able to hit a baseball then if this study is true.. Hmmm?

Richiee12

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:39 am

iluvowls wrote:
Controls: 1. Strength of pitcher 2. Catcher

I never thought about it but its true, the strength of the pitcher would make a difference. The stronger the pitcher the faster the ball would go, and the further it would go. The strength of the pitcher makes a BIG difference. Use a lanky pitcher and it might be easier to hit, use a cocky pitcher chances of you hitting the ball are slimmer.

Richiee12

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:51 pm

krazedxasylum wrote:After watching this video, i am not shocked at all. A baseball seems reasonably easier to hit than a softball. The independent variable of this experioment is the type of ball. The dependent variable is the force used to hit the ball. My hypothesis for this exoeriment would read if a baseball was pitchde instead of a softball, then the force excerted to hit the baseball would be less than that of a softball. Two constants would be the brand of baseballs and softballs, as there are many different brands and also the pitcher who is pitching must stay constant. One possible source of error is the force of the pitch. It is proven that the force of the pitches ultimately will be different as you cannot perfectly repeat the same action twice. Also because after more than one pitch, the force will most likely decrease. Another source of error is the different types of pitch. When pitching a softball, you pitch underhand and are closer to the plate as when pitching a baseball you throw overhand, usually, and are farther away from the plate, which can ultimately vary the results. One thing that i find very interesting is that how strong you is not the only thing that will determine whether or not you hit home-runs. Another important thing is bat speed. The speed at which you swing your bat and the wind also contribute to the cause
This experiment had a lot more flaws than that though. If they were testing too differnt sports, they should have used too different batters to get a control group, and they should have also retested the speed of the softball because she could have just been lucky at that point. However, the results of this experiment are amazing. I can't believe how fast that ball was going, and she shattered the sensor. WOW!
Suga-Mama
Suga-Mama

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:04 pm

heyitssharkweek wrote:IV: ball type (softball or baseball)
DV: hit ratio (difficulty to hit the ball)
Hypothesis: If the ball type is a softball, then the hit ratio will be lower.
Constants: 1) force/direction of wind 2) (should have been) pitcher/force of pitch
Error: 1) Each ball was thrown at a different velocity 2) There were two different pitchers and pitching styles
Title: The Effect of Ball Type on Hitting Ratio

While browsing the Sports Science Exploratorium I found an article on the science of good hair. It was actually very interesting and really did pertain to science. The author of the article, Pat Murphy, discussed many of the bad hair problems many women- and even men- face. She used her own hair troubles as jumping off points to research and experiment what gives us good, or bad, hair! For example, the acidity of shampoo, and the detergent in it, is what makes hair beautiful and shiny. Alkali solutions and plain soap make hair dull, rough and unhealthy. A good alternative for no shampoo... lemon juice or vinegar! And to be honest, just because a shampoo foams really well, doesn't mean it works any better. The foaming agent is only added because many Americans associate foaming with more cleaning power! If you have lank, stiff hair and want some body, don't use conditioner! It weighs down the hair! Of course, conditioner is important very once in a while because it helps "heal" hair (hair is only dead cells, so it can't actually heal) by coating it, a if it were replacing parts of the hair's cuticle. There really is a lot of biology and chemistry involved in having good hair! Who knew?!
You are hilarious. You find an article on hair in the sport science exploratorium. What was that doing there anyway? Well, at least you know how to have good hair. Laughing
Suga-Mama
Suga-Mama

Back to top Go down

Post  krazedxasylum Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:38 am

aMAIZEing94 wrote:The IV of this experiment was whether a baseball or a softball was pitched.

For the simple reason that i slightly disaggree with what you consider the iv of this experiment, could you just further explain your wording, because it may just be me, but i do not wuite understand it.

krazedxasylum

Back to top Go down

Post  krazedxasylum Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:40 am

Flipper wrote: I think the technique used to throw the balls influence how fast, powerfully and accurately they move. It is definately not the results I were expecting.

I didnt necissarily expect the results, but i also was not surprised by them too much either. I liked that you mentioned that the technique used to throw the ball influence how fast and powerful, and accurate the ball will be. This is definitely a great source of error in the experiment

krazedxasylum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2