Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones

+16
timmy buck buck
Siillee-Differenter
NorthStar
Suga-Mama
calientelabios234
gamerdude94
iluvowls
Flipper
aMAIZEing94
penguin94
Hollywood
tw33tybirdn3rd
Richiee12
Yofeetstink
violinist13
Admin
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones

Post  Admin Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:58 am

Watch The Invisible Dangers of Cell Phone Radiation. Visit Reduce Your Brain's Exposure to Cell Phone Radiation & read Cell Phone Hang-Ups. All three sources are located on the My Favorites link on Ms. Hancock's website located at http://hstrial-ahancock2.homestead.com/Favorites.html . Reflect on the video, website, & article and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

2. Explain why your brain is more at-risk than Ms. Hancock's when it comes to the health dangers of cell phone radiation. What do the author's of the website suggeast is the solution to reducing your brain's exposure to cell phone radiation? Do you think this will work? Why or why not?

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, September 29 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, October 1 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

https://hancockhonorsbio.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty I did not know cell phones can hurt us.

Post  violinist13 Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:40 pm

After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

My cell phone habits will probably not change even if I tried to. I think it wont change because some how all of us American's that have cell phones are addicted to them. Even if we try to stop using them so much. It still wont cut down the factor of people dieing from electromagnet frequencies. Cell phones are not the only thing hurting our brains. geek
violinist13
violinist13

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones

Post  Yofeetstink Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:09 pm

After watching this video my cell phone habits will certainly change, and not only my cell phone habits but laptop habits also. From now on i am no longer going to keep my cell phone in my pocket since i saw what consequences can come from that, and i want my testes to stay the way they are. Regarding the laptop i am going to try to always have it like on a table or desk when i use it and not on my lap since it would also affect my testes. I love my testes so that was when they got me when they mentioned that.
Yofeetstink
Yofeetstink

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty I'm not so surprised

Post  Richiee12 Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:06 pm

The only real thing I was surprised about was the laptop being on the lap causing a shortage in sperm count, and testicular cancer. For years I've always heard that the cell phone is dangerous. I've heard about the deaths caused by cell phones, and even cell phone batteries. I saw one story on the news a few years back about a girl who left her cell phone on the charger for a longer period of time and the battery in the phone blew up killing her. As sad as it is, for some reason it still didn't change my cell phone habits. My cell phone usage is an addiction, and so is my laptop. Lets be brutally honestly more than 80% of the students who see this video and review this article still wont change there cell phone habits. It's something about today's world that causes us to find a NEED for technology. Technology is leading us to tomorrow. I don't think anything will ever cause me to change my cell phone habits unless someone actually forces me to stop or something drastic occurs, causing me to worry.

Richiee12

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty I LOVE MY PHONE BUT....

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:51 pm

1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

After reading over that and watching that video i can honestly say that my cell phone use will change a litle but not dramatically. My phone comes in handy for alot of things but if there is a chance that my body could be getting harm i would have to chill on the usage of it. Yes, ilove my phone but i cherish my body much more and i will do anything it take to save myself from harm. I dont think i am the only one who should slow down on our technology there is harm in them. will try so hard but I doubt it would stop what i do or other people do.

tw33tybirdn3rd

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:55 pm

Yofeetstink wrote:After watching this video my cell phone habits will certainly change, and not only my cell phone habits but laptop habits also. From now on i am no longer going to keep my cell phone in my pocket since i saw what consequences can come from that, and i want my testes to stay the way they are. Regarding the laptop i am going to try to always have it like on a table or desk when i use it and not on my lap since it would also affect my testes. I love my testes so that was when they got me when they mentioned that.

lol! Your right about the laptop if they knew we could be harmed by them why give it the name laptop thats just telling us to use it on our lap. but i dont think yur the only one who has got their attention stuck on the whole testes part i bet many men and boys will change where they keep there phone and how they use their laptop.

tw33tybirdn3rd

Back to top Go down

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:57 pm

violinist13 wrote:After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

My cell phone habits will probably not change even if I tried to. I think it wont change because some how all of us American's that have cell phones are addicted to them. Even if we try to stop using them so much. It still wont cut down the factor of people dieing from electromagnet frequencies. Cell phones are not the only thing hurting our brains. geek

i know what you mean abut being addicted to our cell phones. yes thier are alot of people who are but you can break addictions so why not try and break yours, i did. they arent the only thing but starting with cell phone would be a great start.

tw33tybirdn3rd

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty WOW! :O

Post  Hollywood Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:35 pm

After seeing this video I am definatly going to change my cell phone habits. I usually talk on my cell phone but after seeing this video I am going to start to use my house phone more often. This video really made me think twice about my cell phone.
Hollywood
Hollywood

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty im so lucky :)

Post  penguin94 Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:31 pm

im so lucky that i dont have to deal with this radiation because I DONT HAVE A CELL PHONE!!!! but after learning that computers and tvs also create these RFRs and EFRs, i will definately try not to use them as much. i already knew about the microwaves having affects on people, but i did not know that cell phones in pockets do too...lol sorry guys!
penguin94
penguin94

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty Cell Phones, Radiation and Ferrite Beads!

Post  aMAIZEing94 Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:04 pm

My brain is more at-risk than Ms. Hancock's when it comes to the health dangers of cell phone radiation because, as a teenager, my skull is thinner, I have more brain fluid and my body is not yet fully developed. Authors of the websites suggested that solutions include using your speakerphone more often and buying ferrite beads. Using the speakerphone will allow you to keep the phone further away from your body and allow less EMFs to be transitted through your head. Ferrite beads are hollow cylinders made of ferrite and reduce the radio-frequency interference) created by cables. Ferrite beads can be used for hands-free conversations on cell phones as well. I do believe this solution will work because if it did not, then there would not be so many ferrite beads on other electronic devices like computers.

aMAIZEing94

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty What I say? There is always something! Radiation, pollution, blah blah blah

Post  Flipper Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:02 pm

After reading and watching the different sources of cell phone danger I have come to realize that nothing in the world is safe. Technology progress and eventually humans will adapt. I dont talk on my cell phone very often, I just use it to text. But when I do talk on it, i will try to use speakerphone more often because the radiation entering my brain is very unhealthy. Especially because of my age. It is said that radiation can penatrate the brain up to an inch. It is also said to alter brain tissue although there is not any stone cold evidence to prove it. But from what I have read and watched, I think it is safer to just monitor your cell phone usage and how close it is to your ear. But biology proves that humans learn to adapt and fix whatever problems we bring among ourselves. Im sure that in the near future (50 years) we will not have these problems and concerns.... we will probably have new ones. >:/

Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvowls Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Now that I know that cell phone usage causes dangerous radiation to my body which can result in cancer, I will probably use my cell phone less, but I definitely won't stop using it. I don't know if I really believe that it is as dangerous as these people are saying because if it were then we would probably hear about it a lot more. I personally think we face far more dangerous things in our everyday life. I mean seriously, how crazy would someone think you were if you asked them if they needed to use your cell phone and you said no because it gives off radiation? I don't think this is something we need to worry about.

iluvowls

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty I cant believe it...

Post  gamerdude94 Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:55 pm

When I use my cell-phone I usually just text but it still makes me wonder about the radiation emitting while im texting. So I thought "I just wont use a cell phone alot anymore". Then I saw how the microwave emits radiation too. I can remember sitting by the microwave waiting for food to cook. I can believe that cell phone companies would lie about radiation but I cant believe other companies would. I think we need to change this if we want to live longer because I would really not like to have an antenna shaped tumor.

gamerdude94

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty shocking!!!

Post  calientelabios234 Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:56 pm

First, kids and teenagers around my age are more at risk for health dangers than Ms. Hancock is because present day there are more radio active waves in the air than ever. Secondly most people of this day and age have cell phones, and when Ms. Hancock was young, cell phones were not a popular. Also since I am in my adolescent years, my brain is not quite done developing and it is not as thick so it allows the radiation to penetrate. To reduce the amount of radiation your brain is exposed to the author suggests we should use a speakerphone. Using the speakerphone allows the cell phone to be away from your brain. Also the author suggested the Ferrite beads. I think it will work in reducing the amount i do not think it will be effective for a long time.
calientelabios234
calientelabios234

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty Whatever!

Post  Suga-Mama Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:30 pm

After reading and viewing all of the information about cell phone danger, I still don't think that my cell phone use will change. Technology, is already more popular and more advanced now than it have ever been before. It has intergrated into everything in our everyday lives. Technology would be close to impossible to get away from, cell phones in particular.Teenagers and children text all the time at home and in school. It would be impossible now to break people of this habit, even with the dangers. The same goes for computers. "Heaven forbid!" that teenagers give up facebook or stop using their ipods. It just wouldn't be right. So, while teens and tweens may be at a higher risk of cell phone and electronic radiation than Ms. Hancock, I really don't think that it's going to change anything. Also,I have been using cell phones since I was little and I ain't dead yet, so I think I can manage, despite the danger. Rolling Eyes
Suga-Mama
Suga-Mama

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty Cell Phone Health Risk

Post  NorthStar Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:54 pm

After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

I think that after looking at the video I feel that my cell phone usage will not change much if any at all, because most of the time when I'm using my phone I my not call anybody I'm texting so my radiation exposure will probably not be much if any at all. Also, when I even call someone its very brief may be 3 mins. So I think that my exposure to radiation is very little so I don't think I really need to worry about it. Besides your doing to die from something eventually so just live life don't be let life live you.
NorthStar
NorthStar

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty Good thing there's TEXTING!

Post  Siillee-Differenter Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:10 pm

-After reading and viewing the dangers of cell phones, I think that I might change my habits a liitle bit. I can't say that I never knew about any of the dangers of cell phones, but I never knew the risks where so high. The radiation that travels from the cell phones we use everyday causes brain tumors and genetic damage. The last thing I would want to affect my health is a simple cell phone. Me being a teen and knowing that I am at a much greater use of brain damage than adults beceause teen's skulls are thinner, makes me really want to change my cell phone habits. I don't think that would be to hard because I am a huge texter. The most I talk on the phone a day is about a hour or two. When watching the video and reading I was thinking that to decrease my risks I could just use an earpeice, but it shocked me when they said headsets "TRIPLE your brain's exposure to radiation". That only left me with to diiferent ideas: talk on the speaker or just TEXT MORE. I love you (l0l) Eithier way this information encourages me to change my cell phone habits.

Siillee-Differenter

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty My Ignorant American Philosophy On Cell Phones

Post  timmy buck buck Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:19 pm

Wow that video was very informative. I learned that my beloved cell phone is actually a tool that may cause me to die a horrible and lonely death by a gruesome brain tumor yuck. It also may lower sperm count if u put it in your pocket. To change this i would start to text more often than talking on the phone. I will also try and get a cell phone case for my phone. If I was truly dedicated I would just sell my phone and never use it again but I'm a normal, ignorant american boy who is used to his ignorant amerian ways. In fact lets be honest if the cell phone causes damage to my brain then it already is too late so why try and change my ways. Sometimes you just gotta pray and hope for the best and don't be so pessimistic about everything. Plus lets face it, after I get done typing this i'm probably not going to think about this anymore. This is how a IGNORANT AMERICAN BOY thinks and I'm sticking to my EDUCATED and IGNORANT PHILOSOPHY. lol! lol! lol! Cool
timmy buck buck
timmy buck buck

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty i would rather keep chatting.

Post  RylesTuesday Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:41 pm

After viewing and reading all of that information. I have decided that it will not impact my cellphone usage. It won't because not just cell phones expose us to harmful radiation. As the video said, it's not just cell phones, its's microwaves, television, wireless house phones, laptops and other things. If all of these things can do harm to you, why use them? I think. that people that get scared over this really shouldn't be. Why live your life in fear of the great technology of our time? That's why I say this information didn't really affect me. I still will continue to use my cellphone when I want. I believe there could be a risk but I'm not worried about it.
RylesTuesday
RylesTuesday

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty Cell Phone Usage...

Post  heyitssharkweek Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:11 am

In all honesty, the video and website provided a lot of humbling and horrifying information. Everything in the video and on the site is very believable and very scary! I definitely worry about the effects of so much EMF pollution on us as humans, but I also think it is not as big a deal as it is made out to be in these sources. I think there are a lot of other factors leading to the increase in diseases, tumors and cancers in people over the last... 20 years or so. It's like saying Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, as well as diet Sodas are a huge cause of cancer. There are carcinogens involved and I do think that may contribute to a very small percent, but I think that by no means should they be targeted as the sole or main contributor to cancer. The same applies to cell phones and EMFs. I believe that artificial sweeteners, the average American diet, lack of exercise, EMF pollution, environmental pollution, smoking and drinking habits and many more factors, as a whole, contribute to the growing problem of diseases, tumors and cancers. I do think that more precautions need to be taken to reduce EMF pollution and radiation, but I do not feel that it is prevalent and great enough to be extremely worried about. I definitely will try to change some of my habits when it comes to cell phone usage, as well as computer and microwave usage. The change may not be extremely significant, but hopefully it will at least be enough to avoid possible future health problems caused by EMFs and radiation.

heyitssharkweek

Back to top Go down

Post  krazedxasylum Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:32 pm

After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, my cell phone habits will slightly change. Honestly, i don't think my cell phone use will change much at all. This is because i have had a cell phone since i was nine years old and have not had many problems with my body. Also, i am not to much on my phone so the impact from the radiation wont impact me as much as some who are on the phone 24/7 are.

krazedxasylum

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones Empty hurting

Post  penguin94 Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:25 pm

violinist13 wrote:After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

i agree that cell phones are not the only things affecting our brains, however, they are one of the MAJOR factors since people use them almost every second of everyday. in this way, they cause the most risk. i think that if people only use their cellphones in emergencies or use something that emits less radiation, then the risk of getting a tumor or dying of brain function problems will decrease.
penguin94
penguin94

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:14 pm

Yofeetstink wrote:From now on i am no longer going to keep my cell phone in my pocket since i saw what consequences can come from that, and i want my testes to stay the way they are. Regarding the laptop i am going to try to always have it like on a table or desk when i use it and not on my lap since it would also affect my testes.

This is going to be hard to do. I bet you forget to change your habits because as Americans we pretty much HATE change. Change is something thats gone take time to occur. I highly doubt ANYONE will change there habits. If they do, it's going to be a long journey down the road.

Richiee12

Back to top Go down

Post  calientelabios234 Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:16 pm

Suga-Mama wrote:After reading and viewing all of the information about cell phone danger, I still don't think that my cell phone use will change. Technology, is already more popular and more advanced now than it have ever been before. It has intergrated into everything in our everyday lives. Technology would be close to impossible to get away from, cell phones in particular.Teenagers and children text all the time at home and in school. It would be impossible now to break people of this habit, even with the dangers. The same goes for computers. "Heaven forbid!" that teenagers give up facebook or stop using their ipods. It just wouldn't be right. So, while teens and tweens may be at a higher risk of cell phone and electronic radiation than Ms. Hancock, I really don't think that it's going to change anything. Also,I have been using cell phones since I was little and I ain't dead yet, so I think I can manage, despite the danger. Rolling Eyes
I think you should change some of your habits! As soon as I watch the video and someone called me I put on speaker! I do not think they were saying to remove technology all together but just to be careful and reduce the amount we use it, so the radiation would decrease.
pirat tongue No I love you Wink
calientelabios234
calientelabios234

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:18 pm

Siillee-Differenter wrote: That only left me with to diiferent ideas: talk on the speaker or just TEXT MORE. I love you (l0l) Eithier way this information encourages me to change my cell phone habits.

Something about it, it's just going to be difficult to change. It's so much easier to just hold the phone than to have it on speakerphone because suppose the person doesn't hear you. Then its going to seem as if you are yelling at your phone, which is a little frustrating. As far as texting, we all know it can be a pain in the rear. Sometimes you don't feel like texting and sometimes you just get tired of it. This only means your friends will probably hear from you less now.

Richiee12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next