Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch

+10
GummyBearLove
MiszCheesekake41
LittleMissSophie
FounderofGFFandBabycat
animalluver
londylou
smiley11
whatitdochickado
earthycolors
Admin
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Post  animalluver Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:32 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:I think it's quite terrible how people dont throw away trash when they are finished with it, and this stuff just floats right into our sewage systems...We should care because this is the future of our planet! How will the world look in ten years ,or even five if we dont start cleaning things up now? 80% of plastic doesnt break down, yeah, ok, so that doesnt mean we have to throw our garbage and cheeto bags into the sewer. I've seen people walk over to the sewer and just throw in banana peels! We need to care about this because not all this trash is going to stay in one spot, especially if the ocean is going to rise 3 feet over the next 90 or so years.

Listen hun. The video is about the garbage patch slipping into the ocean, not people throwing trash into the ocean or sewers. But I do agree with you that we need to care about the future of our planet. I see people throwing their trash in the sewers as well. And unfortunately, that's not the only problem with what people are doing. People through away plastic all the time. This makes no sense to me, because plastic can be recycled. Often, the supplies for such recycling are right in front of people, and they chose not to use them. This is because Americans are quite lazy. You, my dear, are a prime example. Since you didn't know exactly what the video was about, you obviously didn't watch it. No offense tongue

animalluver

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Post  londylou Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:34 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:1. Why should we care? How does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch ultimately impact humans?

We as humans should care because the Earth is our home. It is not just some house that can be trashed so that all of the human race can shoot off to Mars to make a new life. This is the only habitable place for our kind so there is great urgency when it is claimed that we are ruining our home. It only makes sense to care unless you are some person who wants to die of pollution and diseases killing you slowly or quickly in some cases. The Great Pacific Garbage Patch ultimately impact humans because it like smog etc is part of pollution and CAN DAMAGE US. The soupy matter of which is the garbage patch has already been linked to infertility and diabetes. It makes you wonder whats next?

Wow really?! I did not know this crap was linked to infertility and diabetes!! People really get on my darn nerves being to lazy to recycle. This is waaaaay worse than I originally thought. And I totally agree with you on the whole Mars thing. Once earth is dead we're all dead. . . unless we become zombies of course affraid

londylou

Back to top Go down

Post  20north_star12 Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:37 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:1. Why should we care? How does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch ultimately impact humans?

We as humans should care because the Earth is our home. It is not just some house that can be trashed so that all of the human race can shoot off to Mars to make a new life. This is the only habitable place for our kind so there is great urgency when it is claimed that we are ruining our home. It only makes sense to care unless you are some person who wants to die of pollution and diseases killing you slowly or quickly in some cases. The Great Pacific Garbage Patch ultimately impact humans because it like smog etc is part of pollution and CAN DAMAGE US. The soupy matter of which is the garbage patch has already been linked to infertility and diabetes. It makes you wonder whats next?

It really does make me wonder.We have evolved so much since plastic has been invented; We can recycle. If we have these options, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't recycle. Trash companies have gone as far as allowing you to mix all of your recycling! The world has options, yet no one will make use of them. It really doesn't take time out of your day to recycle, but then again look at American society; They're lazy... It is even more sad when you have animals suffering for humans idiocracy.

20north_star12

Back to top Go down

Post  20north_star12 Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:40 pm

earthycolors wrote:1. Why should we care? How does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch ultimately impact humans?

ANSWER: We should care like crazy because this big mass of trash in the middle of the ocean might be our demise later on in the future. Fish and birds eat the plastic and bits of metal and other trash which makes them sick; we fish for a fraction of our food and it would be really bad if we bit into a fish that had little bits of plastic in it or roasted a bird with a bottle cap in it. Us humans are destroying our planet just because half of us refuse to recycle. If this goes on, then in a matter of years, we are going to destroy our planet and it'll end up being like the earth in the Disney/Pixar movie "Wall E", with barely any life and trash everywhere.It impacts us because this trash is poisoning the ocean just like the oil spill that happened a few months ago. And all this poisoned water means bad drinking water for us humans and other animals. Animals drink the polluted water and we eat the animals that drank the polluted water, thus polluting ourselves.

I love the fact that you brought up the oil spill. The oil spill is only pertinent in the news presently because they can blame it on someone. BP will suffer for poisoning the waters, yet no one else will suffer for this garbage island. It's pathetic that people can't just separate their trash from their recycling. I guess it's just using too much brain power to decipher between the nonrecyclables and the recyclables.

20north_star12

Back to top Go down

Post  animalluver Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:43 pm

I believe that pollution such as this can also cause cancer. And yes, I agree with you that we really DO need to watch the way we treat our planet. When humans go extinct (and yes, it is going to happen), I do not believe it will be because of natural causes/disasters. We will be our own downfall. Humans have caused so much misery for themselves: STDs, cancer causing chemicals, destruction of our environment. The only way we will save Earth is if we all, with the risk of sounding cheesy, all "go green".

animalluver

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty FACEBOOK BUT NO ONLINE ASSIGNMENTS?

Post  GummyBearLove Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:45 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:2. Suggest a solution to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. How can we solve this problem? Why is your solution better tahn other options?

But yeah, if we recycle more and maybe make more products out of reusable things instead of just stuff you throw away after using. Like teachers don't have to give out five million handouts a week. (No offence.. heh ':]) We can have online stuff to read like this discussion board thing. But some teachers won't wanna do it, of course. The paper supply should just cut back a tad.

the end.

I totally agree!! Us students can get on facebook everyday after school religiously, so why cant teachers make more online discussion boards or at least online assignments. Maybe its reading something with a small quiz afterward. Something besides using tons of paper each week to print us off assignments. Think about it, if a teacher teaches 6 classes a day with about 30 kids in each class, that's 180 pieces of paper. And that doesn't include the extras the teacher makes for the irresponsible students. All this work turns into what exactly? The teacher grades the papers gives them back, and when progress reports come back so the student can see all their grades were put in, The student gets rid of every piece of paper. And more than likely they throw them in the trash. So you have one handout to each student each day for the whole week.That's more than 900 pieces of paper!!! Just for most to go in the trash because students wont recycle. I think in the future, teachers should make more of these nifty online assignments

GummyBearLove

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleMissSophie Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:05 pm

londylou wrote:Why should we care? How does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch ultimately impact humans?

We should care because this mass of crap in the middle of the ocean is dirtying up our planet! I mean 3.5 MILLION tons? And over 80% is plastic that can't break down? That's ridiculous. And as stated in the video, "everything that happens on earth, stays on earth". The plastic and othe debris isnt just going to magically disappear, but continue to build. This obviously can ultimately impact us humans because it is already effecting the birds. Many birds consume the debris because it thinks that it is food. There is no nutritional value to the plastic, so the bird will feel full, but will not gain anything from it. They will eventually die off if this continues. Also, the fish are eating it too, and we eat the fish! The tiny pieces of platic could easily be overlooked when prepared and someone could end up eating it. This is potentially fatal and very dangerous for us. We really need to continue to reduce the amout that is already down there and recycle more!! Less than 5% of all plastic gets recycled. If we change that 5 to 100 then we wont have to worry about this tragic pile of poppycock growing any bigger than it already is. =)

-LondyLou

I agree 100% with you. 80% of plastic can't break down,thats crazy! To much is used from plastic like water bottles and things. I think all humans should learn more about how to keep our planet clean. The food that we eat has already been contaminated and this problem could spread more! We need to kill this problem fast!...

LittleMissSophie

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleMissSophie Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:09 pm

earthycolors wrote:1. Why should we care? How does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch ultimately impact humans?

ANSWER: We should care like crazy because this big mass of trash in the middle of the ocean might be our demise later on in the future. Fish and birds eat the plastic and bits of metal and other trash which makes them sick; we fish for a fraction of our food and it would be really bad if we bit into a fish that had little bits of plastic in it or roasted a bird with a bottle cap in it. Us humans are destroying our planet just because half of us refuse to recycle. If this goes on, then in a matter of years, we are going to destroy our planet and it'll end up being like the earth in the Disney/Pixar movie "Wall E", with barely any life and trash everywhere.It impacts us because this trash is poisoning the ocean just like the oil spill that happened a few months ago. And all this poisoned water means bad drinking water for us humans and other animals. Animals drink the polluted water and we eat the animals that drank the polluted water, thus polluting ourselves.

so true..its a cycle throw away trash, fish and birds eat the trash, we catch and eat the fish, and the cycle starts again!. Everyones health is endangered. hope we can find a way to clean this big mess up.

LittleMissSophie

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:05 pm

animalluver wrote:
snookieluvs2tan wrote:I think it's quite terrible how people dont throw away trash when they are finished with it, and this stuff just floats right into our sewage systems...We should care because this is the future of our planet! How will the world look in ten years ,or even five if we dont start cleaning things up now? 80% of plastic doesnt break down, yeah, ok, so that doesnt mean we have to throw our garbage and cheeto bags into the sewer. I've seen people walk over to the sewer and just throw in banana peels! We need to care about this because not all this trash is going to stay in one spot, especially if the ocean is going to rise 3 feet over the next 90 or so years.

Listen hun. The video is about the garbage patch slipping into the ocean, not people throwing trash into the ocean or sewers. But I do agree with you that we need to care about the future of our planet. I see people throwing their trash in the sewers as well. And unfortunately, that's not the only problem with what people are doing. People through away plastic all the time. This makes no sense to me, because plastic can be recycled. Often, the supplies for such recycling are right in front of people, and they chose not to use them. This is because Americans are quite lazy. You, my dear, are a prime example. Since you didn't know exactly what the video was about, you obviously didn't watch it. No offense tongue

Um, first of all, I know that the video was not about throwing trash into sewers, I was using it as an exmple. And how do you think tha trash gets to the ocean if it isnt carried through the sewer system? Clearly YOU mised that part. And dont tell me that i am a prime example of someone who didnt watch the movie, bceause i DID. And dont ever call me lazy, and try to bust someone out on the internet, because clearly, this is not a forum for that. How dare you try to talk to someone like that just because you're on the internet. Believe me, if I knew who you were, I'd call you out to your face, and dont say, "no offense" because thats just a cop-out for you to say what you want. Btw, I didnt know i was bothering you. so in the future lets keep it about science, and not about you getting bold online. se you in 5th hour!

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:07 pm

LittleMissSophie wrote:

so true..its a cycle throw away trash, fish and birds eat the trash, we catch and eat the fish, and the cycle starts again!. Everyones health is endangered. hope we can find a way to clean this big mess up.

Finally someone who agres about the trash situation. we need to take care of this now, so we wont be trying to help ourselves when it's too late. Al Gore was on to something!

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:45 am

I believe that pollution such as this can also cause cancer. And yes, I agree with you that we really DO need to watch the way we treat our planet. When humans go extinct (and yes, it is going to happen), I do not believe it will be because of natural causes/disasters. We will be our own downfall. Humans have caused so much misery for themselves: STDs, cancer causing chemicals, destruction of our environment. The only way we will save Earth is if we all, with the risk of sounding cheesy, all "go green". [/quote]

As far as i've heard stds were caused by mutations not of pollution and WHAT ABOUT THE CUCUMBERS Razz
FounderofGFFandBabycat
FounderofGFFandBabycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2