Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch

+16
Suga-Mama
Siillee-Differenter
Richiee12
penguin94
tw33tybirdn3rd
RylesTuesday
tweetywizard
Yofeetstink
PaulyD
gamerdude94
timmy buck buck
krazedxasylum
aMAIZEing94
iluvowls
violinist13
Admin
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Post  Richiee12 Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:00 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote:The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is just disgusting. We should care about it because the trash in our ocean could enter our food chain as it has with the birds and small fish from the video. It is scary to think about.

It kind of makes you wonder has it already entered our food chain? I wonder how long its been there and why are studies just now being done?

Richiee12

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Post  Richiee12 Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:03 pm

penguin94 wrote: the article mentions that these clusters of garbage can hold a large concentration of toxins. we swim, drink, and eat the animals that are in the water, thereby ingesting the toxins ourselves! WE COULD DIE!! affraid

Could you imagine telling someone someone died due to the Pacific Garbage Patch? When you think of it that way it makes you think that YOU caused someone's death. Not you alone, but your whole country caused someone's death. Its just as easy as 1,2, RECYCLE. Why not separate plastics, and aluminum? We're throwing it away anyway, might as well stick it in the recycling bin. Your local trash company even provides you with one to promote recycling.

Richiee12

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:39 pm

calientelabios234 wrote: This video and article is a real eye opener. We should care becaus if this doesnt stop soon the ocean is gonna be fill with plastic and debris! People do not understand, some people do not even know the impact of the Great Pacific Garbage patch. We should care because it could affect our food chain, in the video they said they are finding the pieces of plastic in the fishes and the birds! We eat food from the pacific ocean that means it could be in our food!!! Eventhough this is radical, they should take a few boats and sail in the area of of the gargabe patcha nd try to clean it up as much as they can and then recycle it.
This is so true! What is wrong with people? They just pollute and pollute and think they're immune to it. Eventually it will get back into our food chain and then they'll be the ones complaining. I still can't belive no one has tried to clean it up or at least made an effort to inform the world that it exists. The whole thing is just ridiculous to me. Mad
Suga-Mama
Suga-Mama

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:48 pm

penguin94 wrote:I didnt even know that this "garbage patch" even existed until i saw the video and read the article! that shows how little we know about our environment. i think that the word should be spread out to everyone. after all, WE are causing the problem. WE invented plastic and so WE should be held responsible for how it is disposed of; not by littering because that will only end up in the ocean, but by reusing it. if we dont do something, the garbage will only end up harming us. the plankton, fish, and birds that eat this not only kills them, but when we eat them, it causes damage to our own bodies. the article mentions that these clusters of garbage can hold a large concentration of toxins. we swim, drink, and eat the animals that are in the water, thereby ingesting the toxins ourselves! WE COULD DIE!! affraid
I totally agree with you and I still can't believe that the pacific ocean ecosystem has survived this long. If we don't do something fast, there won't be anywhere on Earth that hasn't been completely devastated by human existance. Humans need to learn how to take better care of their planet and ultimately themselves. After all, we only have one planet to live on. Neutral
Suga-Mama
Suga-Mama

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:02 pm

krazedxasylum wrote:when the video showsed the turtle and the seal, with the plastic around different sections of their bodies, i then realized how serious this can affect humans.

I was shocked when I saw that part of the video as well. It was scary and very sad. Not only do we need to keep cleaning the plastic in the ocean, but we also need to help the animals who have been impacted by it, like the seals who get caught in it and the fish and birds who are eating it.

aMAIZEing94

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Siillee-Differenter wrote: Neutral
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is something I never knew existed. The amount of waste covering the Pacific is unbelieveable. It suprised me to know that 80% of it was all plastic. Hearing this gave me more of an understanding of why we humans, should recycle.

The fact that some people do not know about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is probably why we have not come up with a solution for it yet. Maybe if more people knew about it they would start taking care of the planet better by doing things like recycling. Maybe finding a solution for the issue would be easier. Exclamation bounce

aMAIZEing94

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty Is these really happening

Post  NorthStar Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:02 pm

We should care about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is because if its left unchecked it could major effect our enivornment on land as well as off land with the marine life. This Great pacific Garbage Patch can ultimateily effect us as humans because if the marine life get a hold of these garbage and eats the organic popution in the patch like fish, crabs, lobster and etc. That are then consumed by humans, resulting in their ingestion of toxic chemicals effecting us as humans.
NorthStar
NorthStar

Back to top Go down

Post  NorthStar Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:09 pm

[quote="aMAIZEing94"]
Siillee-Differenter wrote: Neutral
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is something I never knew existed. The amount of waste covering the Pacific is unbelieveable. It suprised me to know that 80% of it was all plastic. Hearing this gave me more of an understanding of why we humans, should recycle.

I feel that many of these problem that we have in our environment are not known because we are not informed enough about envornment problems. Sometimes the government doesn't feel that it need to be addressed to the public. Because they know that if its know to all the public then many Americans would expect the government to take action and fix these problem in with the the government doesn't feel is needed.
NorthStar
NorthStar

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty IF YOU ARE HUMAN AND YOU LIVE ON EARTH.. YOU BETTER CARE!!!!

Post  Flipper Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:14 pm

It seems like humans are the only thing hurting humans. Almost everything we do comes around and effects us in some way. People liter all the time and dispose of plastic and other recyclables in the wrong way, and that comes back at us. hard. If you don't care, the harsh reality is you are murdering ocean and human life. It is difficult to comprehend how much we damage the earth and ourselves, but after seeing "Garbage Island" the big picture has become apparent. We have to start doing what it takes to keep the Ocean life and Human race alive. We already use our environment a lot more than we should; so lets try to give back to it. Recycling is the simplest solution to this problem. The only thing that is complexed about it is getting the majority of man to take part in it. It will already take years to get the billions of plastic particals out of the ocean. pale

Last edited by Flipper on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  Flipper Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:20 pm

NorthStar wrote:We should care about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is because if its left unchecked it could major effect our enivornment on land as well as off land with the marine life. This Great pacific Garbage Patch can ultimateily effect us as humans because if the marine life get a hold of these garbage and eats the organic popution in the patch like fish, crabs, lobster and etc. That are then consumed by humans, resulting in their ingestion of toxic chemicals effecting us as humans.

It is really shocking. But you are exactly right. You pretty much just summed it all up. When you look at it, everything we do will come around and affect us in the long run. I just hope this doesn't affect us soon.

Flipper

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty What??

Post  Hollywood Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:23 pm

The garbage in the water is disgusting. People cannot move in that water without being touched by a piece of garbage. This will greatly effect not only the animals in this area but also the humans. When the garbage decomposes the fish who filter feed eat it. Bigger animals eat the fish and so on. Eventually we end up eating the garbage that was in the water. This causes great health issues such as diabetes. We really need to do something to clean it up and to prevent it from continuing. albino
Hollywood
Hollywood

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty Really makes you think...

Post  Flipper Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:36 pm

iluvowls wrote:We should definitely care about this garbage patch. In the video, it was shown that there was more plastic in the water than plankton. They showed the stomachs of dead animals who have eaten the plastic because they thought it was shell fish. In

That is just mind blowing. After hundreds of years of evolution plankton have been living in the pacific ocean. In the last fifty years, the human race has accumulated enough trash AND liter to make the plankton population look smaller. We take so much from earth and it appears that instead of giving back we just harm it.... It makes you think. We have to be doing something wrong.

Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  Yofeetstink Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:12 am

penguin94 wrote:I didnt even know that this "garbage patch" even existed until i saw the video and read the article! that shows how little we know about our environment. i think that the word should be spread out to everyone. after all, WE are causing the problem. WE invented plastic and so WE should be held responsible for how it is disposed of; not by littering because that will only end up in the ocean, but by reusing it. if we dont do something, the garbage will only end up harming us. the plankton, fish, and birds that eat this not only kills them, but when we eat them, it causes damage to our own bodies. the article mentions that these clusters of garbage can hold a large concentration of toxins. we swim, drink, and eat the animals that are in the water, thereby ingesting the toxins ourselves! WE COULD DIE!! affraid

I also had no idea of this garbage patch prior to this assignment. I agree with you that we should try to reduce the garbage patch because we are the ones who produced it since we are the users and consumers of all the garbage that piled up in the patch.
Yofeetstink
Yofeetstink

Back to top Go down

Post  Yofeetstink Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:16 am

Flipper wrote:It seems like humans are the only thing hurting humans. Almost everything we do comes around and effects us in some way. People liter all the time and dispose of plastic and other recyclables in the wrong way, and that comes back at us. hard. If you don't care, the harsh reality is you are murdering ocean and human life. It is difficult to comprehend how much we damage the earth and ourselves, but after seeing "Garbage Island" the big picture has become apparent. We have to start doing what it takes to keep the Ocean life and Human race alive. We already use our environment a lot more than we should; so lets try to give back to it. Recycling is the simplest solution to this problem. The only thing that is complexed about it is getting the majority of man to take part in it. It will already take years to get the billions of plastic particals out of the ocean. pale

This is also what i was thinking we are always hurting ourselves with what we do. I think we need to be recycling much more and stop littering
Yofeetstink
Yofeetstink

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty yea

Post  tweetywizard Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:54 am

aMAIZEing94 wrote:The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is just disgusting. We should care about it because the trash in our ocean could enter our food chain as it has with the birds and small fish from the video.

I agree with you because we eat those fish and when we are just throwing trash out and not even thinking about the effect it has on the animals and us. So I am right with you on your statement. Smile

tweetywizard

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:55 am

krazedxasylum wrote:This video is crazy. We should definately care about this video. Some of the stuff i found in thid video was extremely eye opening. The Pacific Garbage Patch is big enough to be considered the worlds largest landfill. If that's not shocking to anyone, then i don't know what could be. when the video showsed the turtle and the seal, with the plastic around different sections of their bodies, i then realized how serious this can affect humans. From us not recyclng, we are contaminating our food change and what goes around comes around, so this will eventually catch up to us. In the end, by contaminationg our oceans, we will be disturbing our food chain which in the end will hurt us as well.

I agree with you and in the video it said that fish are eating the plastic. People in the gulf are worried about oil on the outside of fish as they should be but no one cares that the fish that they are eating could have plastic in it. The video said that the garbage patch is in the middle of the ocean so people generally have the thought "out of sight out of mind".

gamerdude94

Back to top Go down

Post  tweetywizard Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:58 am

gamerdude94 wrote: The ocean also feeds us. If the fish are swimming in the water affected by contaminants from plastic are we really safe when we eat them? Our country is more concerned on the oil spill which is just as big of a hazard and the same difficulty to clean as this patch. If we do not do something soon we will lose one of our main sources of life pretty fast.

I like to eat. Its a great hobby of mine and when i found out about the garbage patch i was disgusted because i like eating fish so i think we really need to fix this problem fast! sunny

tweetywizard

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:58 am

Hollywood wrote:The garbage in the water is disgusting. People cannot move in that water without being touched by a piece of garbage. This will greatly effect not only the animals in this area but also the humans. When the garbage decomposes the fish who filter feed eat it. Bigger animals eat the fish and so on. Eventually we end up eating the garbage that was in the water. This causes great health issues such as diabetes. We really need to do something to clean it up and to prevent it from continuing. albino

I agree with you and I think we need to stop it completely before it happens to us. People dont care since its out in the middle of the ocean but when it hits us they will start to care. The ocean is a means of recreation for many and we need to save it.

gamerdude94

Back to top Go down

Post  NorthStar Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:58 am

Yofeetstink wrote:
Flipper wrote:We have to start doing what it takes to keep the Ocean life and Human race alive. We already use our environment a lot more than we should; so lets try to give back to it. Recycling is the simplest solution to this problem. The only thing that is complexed about it is getting the majority of man to take part in it. It will already take years to get the billions of plastic particals out of the ocean. pale

Yes from what Yofeetstink post I do believe that we must start giving back to our environment we use so much of it we take it for granted. So if we don't start caring now soon this will start to effect the human races future no the people that are here now but, the next generation. We must start preserving the environment for the future generations.
NorthStar
NorthStar

Back to top Go down

Post  Siillee-Differenter Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:29 pm

Suga-Mama wrote:What is the world coming to? I'm truley speechless! Sometimes I just don't understand how people can be so irresponsible and cruel to thier own planet. Don't people realize that all that pollution eventually gets back into the foods we eat and is poisoning us too? Sad pale

I feel th same way. From the looks of it I don't think people realize what they are doing. We basically take things for granted. Litering seems like a daily thing that almost everyone does now without any thought behind it. Little do they know that each peice of trash affects us in many different ways. For example the fish that we eat are eating the wasteful trash we throw out eachday. No

Siillee-Differenter

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty Solutions??

Post  penguin94 Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Flipper wrote:We already use our environment a lot more than we should; so lets try to give back to it. Recycling is the simplest solution to this problem. The only thing that is complexed about it is getting the majority of man to take part in it. It will already take years to get the billions of plastic particals out of the ocean. pale

I agree. at the current moment, the best thing we can do now is spread the word about the garbage patch and promote recycling. we could also take nets and try to collect the garbage and put up nets around the deltas of rivers to collect the debris and trash floating down their rivers, much like the water purification systems. more jobs could be created by doing that; we could even have a group that cleans out the nets and fixes them if they get broken. as for the smaller pieces, you cannot do much about them; but in the article, it taked about how the plastic is broken down by the sun and plankton so maybe that will get rid of the smaller bits already in the ocean as long as the bigger stuff is out. still, it will take a long time for this to have any affect on the problem.
penguin94
penguin94

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty WE can do it!

Post  penguin94 Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:59 pm

NorthStar wrote:
I feel that many of these problem that we have in our environment are not known because we are not informed enough about environment problems. Sometimes the government doesn't feel that it need to be addressed to the public. Because they know that if its know to all the public then many Americans would expect the government to take action and fix these problem in with the the government doesn't feel is needed.

Well the government is just stupid because this WILL affect us if it already hasn't. the government doesn't have to be the ones to get the word out. we can include in our curriculums in school, join groups on facebook and suggest it to friends, and set an EXAMPLE. if we pick up trash and/or recycle, our friends and peers will see that and will follow our lead.
penguin94
penguin94

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty My response

Post  timmy buck buck Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

violinist13 wrote:We need to start caring because this will come back to kick us in the butt. The fish in the ocean are eating the plastic. If the fish are eating the plastic who knows if we are eating the plastic since we are the fish. The plastic is also getting eaten by birds. Scientist have founded dead birds with plastic in their stomach. I think this is outrageous and the world needs to do something about it starting today!
I totally agree with what violinist13 said. The fact that the fish are eating the plastic from the garbage island is bad. when we catch these fish and eat them we are also eating harmful plastic chemicals that are spread through the fishes body. Its also bad because these fish need to survive off of more nourishing foods. If this keeps up the fish population could be greatly affected and the habits of the fish could change due to the change in diet. We also need to stop the birds from eating the plastic as well. They are another natural predator of the fish and they keep the fish population in balance. If we don't fix this problem now then the natural balance could be deeply altered.
timmy buck buck
timmy buck buck

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty my 2nd response

Post  timmy buck buck Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:45 pm

Yofeetstink wrote:The Great Pacific Patch is just ridiculous i mean seriously. The patch is 10 million square miles and 3.5 million tons that is just ridiculously large. We need to at least stunt its growth and if possible reduce the amount of garbage slowly as each year goes by. This garbage patch can affect us if we do not stop it. In the video it shows that a little tiny fish can have 26 pieces of plastic inside of it. That is a lot of unhealthy plastic that we are probably consuming as well since we eat fish and a lot of the fish we eat are a lot bigger than the one shown in the video. That plastic can possibly make us humans sick because we do not know what has come in contact with it so if we do not do something about this patch it could not only hurt the fish and birds as we saw but us as well.
Yofeetstink your right on point. This patch is extremely too large to just leave it be. I believe that we and our somewhat "corrupt" government can join together as one to slowly but surely rid the pacific ocean of this garbage patch. You also brought up the idea of getting sick off consuming fish that may have eaten plastic. This is very unhealthy and could possibly create a new illness which would be derived from the contaminated fish. Now is the time to call for action and rid the Pacific Ocean of the garbage patch.
timmy buck buck
timmy buck buck

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Page 2 Empty good point to put out there

Post  calientelabios234 Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:35 pm

tweetywizard wrote: This is so nasty its ridiculous!! We should care about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch because it effects us so much but the citizens of the United States don't even realize it. We are throwing trash outside our window and not realizing that it ends up in this garbage patch. Then we want to eat the fish that we get from the water and they may have garbage in their stomachs and we end up eating it. So we are we would be eating what we threw out. So that to me is very disgusting and i think that we all no better and we should not be throwing out trash. Because where will it end up???...THE GREAT PACIFIC GARBAGE PATCH!!

I agree that is very disgusting what we throw out comes back to our food. Its very true what goes around comes around. Not only does it effect the U.S. but it affects the whole world some way or another. I understand that humans have done so much that we cant even change everything back to normal but, we slow the process down!
calientelabios234
calientelabios234

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next