Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Hour - The Biology of Aging

+12
Suga-Mama
iluvowls
penguin94
Flipper
Communistkid
Hollywood
Yofeetstink
timmy buck buck
gamerdude94
aMAIZEing94
krazedxasylum
Admin
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

3rd Hour - The Biology of Aging Empty 3rd Hour - The Biology of Aging

Post  Admin Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:55 pm

Read Liz Ward's article on What Causes Aging? at http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/aging/aging-causes.htm There are 6 sub-links to this article. Be sure to read the first 4. They will be covered on this unit's exam.

Also read The Grandparents of Tomorrow at http://www.senescence.info/grandpa.html Use both articles to answer BOTH of the questions below.

1. After reading Liz Ward's article, which aging theory do you subscribe to - is aging determined by your genes or is it determined by your lifestyle? Explain your stance.

2. The Grandparents of Tomorrow takes a extreme approach to aging. What are your opinions about the author's ideas? What societal problems might the elimination of aging cause? If it were possible to stop the aging process, should we? Explain your stance.

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, February 23 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, February 25 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

https://hancockhonorsbio.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Biology of Aging Empty Re: 3rd Hour - The Biology of Aging

Post  krazedxasylum Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:41 pm

After reading the article, i still say that aging is a result of your lifestyle. Many things that you experience and endure greatly affect your age. Such as someone that is close to me in my family. She is 40 years old, but because of so much walking she does her joints says the doctor seem like that of a 70 year old women. Also, say people smoke or do some sort of drugs such as crystal meth or heroine, the way you look is drastically changed do to your lifestyle and your behaviors. Your face may become changed, and its almost always for the worst. Have you ever seen someone that looked around 40 but turned about to be about 20 years old? Well that is most likely because of some factor in their life such as stress. I believe that age is definitely determined by your lifestyle, not genes.

In my opinion, i believe that the authors ideas are somewhat radical. I believe that if aging is eliminated, then the population will greatly increase because people could live longer which is unnatural and will lead to very harsh conditions in the years to come. For this reason i believe that even if we could stop the aging process, that we shouldnt do to many problems as a result of curing one.

Last edited by krazedxasylum on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total

krazedxasylum

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:51 am

After reading Liz Ward's article, I think aging is determined somewhat by your genes and moreso by your lifestyle. People inherit genes that will determine how their bodies age, but the way you live and how you treat your body affects it more in the long run. An example from the article was perfect in saying that if your family does not have a history of heart disease or high blood pressure, you can still get those diseases depending on how you treat your body.
I think the author's mind is in the right place as a scientist trying to come up with a new solution to life. Societal problems that can be caused by the elimination of aging are the elimination or differences of stereotypes we, as humans, have come up with for those in different ages. For example, young people will be dating REALLY old people and that may be just fine... for everyone. However, I think we should leave the aging process alone. I think it was made like that for a reason and if it is supposed to change then it will on its own. Cool Laughing

aMAIZEing94

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:26 pm

I think that genes can have some effect on aging but it is most dependent on your lifestyle. For example your genes could give you perfectly healthy organs but if you chain smoke and eat mcdonalds everyday for ten years you can still have a body that is like a 90 year olds inside. For the second question, I do not think we should find a cure for aging. Aging is a natural cycle of earth. If nobody died then we would all eventually die from starvation and food scarcity plus cramped conditions. It would also destroy the economy, look how hard it is to get a job now, it wont be any easier if everyones great-great-grandparents are working too.

gamerdude94

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Biology of Aging Empty Aging is a lifestyle cause I look like Madonna

Post  timmy buck buck Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:24 pm

I believe that aging has to do with a persons lifestyle. This is based off my observations in life. Many people who smoke tend to age faster than those who don't. I think that the affects of smoking cause you to get wrinkles, get fatter and makes your face mature negatively. Aging also increases due to stress. These factors are what i have studied upon. I know this is right so don't question me.
I think the author is right on his opinion. Age can be eliminated in some aspects. If we eliminate age then old people will take all our jobs and the population would not be balanced. This would cause the Earth to overflow with people. This would also mess up the aging process of dating people of all ages. Ewn that's nasty, lets not be trifalent. We love Biology and Mrs. Hancock as a teacher.
timmy buck buck
timmy buck buck

Back to top Go down

Post  Yofeetstink Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:27 pm

1. Aging is determined by your lifestyle not your genes because in the article they said even if your family has a long line of heart attacks then you can avoid it if you exercise a lot and eat healthy, which overrules the genes factor.

2. I think the author should not try to mess with the aging process since it is a natural process but they are being open minded. The elimination of aging can make it so there is a lot less grief because people won't die and of old age of anything which means your grandma and grandpa will always be there but i don't think that will be possible because God didn't make it so we would live forever so it will never be that way no matter how much science we have. We shouldn't stop the aging process because it is the natural way of life.
Yofeetstink
Yofeetstink

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Biology of Aging Empty I like turtles

Post  Hollywood Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Genes do play a part in aging to a point but it really depends on your lifestyle. A smoker is going to age alot faster than someone who stays healthy and exercises and all that. If you choose negative lifestyles, you're going to end up with negative results.
I don't think we should mess with the natural processes of aging. Making altercations may cause an overflow in population. Just because people stop dying, doesn't mean people will stop getting their freak on. It will mess up the balance of population. So... Don't try to alter mother nature -_-

Last edited by Hollywood on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hollywood
Hollywood

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:19 pm

1. After reading Liz Ward's article, which aging theory do you subscribe to - is aging determined by your genes or is it determined by your lifestyle? Explain your stance.

Seriously? It's genes people. It isn't what has the biggest effect, its what determines the aging process. Yes, smoking crystal meth will destroy your body, but it will be destroyed either way because:

A) You get too old and your genes start to slowly make more and more mistakes and you get a tumor.

B) You have a genetic disease like sickle cell (average life span for males is 42, females 48)

2. The Grandparents of Tomorrow takes a extreme approach to aging. What are your opinions about the author's ideas? What societal problems might the elimination of aging cause? If it were possible to stop the aging process, should we? Explain your stance.

The authors ideas are a bit fanatical, though i must confess i am no biology wiz so he may know better than I. Over-population is a big one but, this would most likely be solved by a societal understanding that we all need to hold back on the baby making thing. Yes, a longer living person is one who will learn far more because of experience, quality over quantity.
Communistkid
Communistkid

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm

Yofeetstink wrote:1. Aging is determined by your lifestyle not your genes because in the article they said even if your family has a long line of heart attacks then you can avoid it if you exercise a lot and eat healthy, which overrules the genes factor.

2. I think the author should not try to mess with the aging process since it is a natural process but they are being open minded. The elimination of aging can make it so there is a lot less grief because people won't die and of old age of anything which means your grandma and grandpa will always be there but i don't think that will be possible because God didn't make it so we would live forever so it will never be that way no matter how much science we have. We shouldn't stop the aging process because it is the natural way of life.

Addressing #1: YOU CAN avoid it, that seems to be a inconclusive argument. Who knows? maybe it merely puts off the heart attack or maybe the you die before you could genetically have a heart attack. Also, not all genetic diseases can be put off by "lifestyle" like cancer or sickle cell. People who drink, smoke, and abuse drugs can and have outlive people with diet and exercise filled lives BECAUSE of genetics.

Addressing #2: So we should stop using modern medicine too? It stops people from dying, so shouldn't the unnatural practice stop?

If you said yes to either of these questions, have fun dying to a stubbed toe that got infected.

Sweet, God gets brought in. Riddle me this, if suicide is a sin (ending your life earlier than you would "naturally die") then wouldn't not trying to live as long as possible be suicide? Especially if you have the means to do so? Either way if a all-powerful supernatural being wants you dead, he probably isn't going to give you a cancer.

To be completely honest though, anytime you need to bring religion into a non religious debacle, it's not because your god/s doesn't like it. It's probably more because you personally frown upon it, but don't have reason to.
Communistkid
Communistkid

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Hollywood wrote:Genes do play a part in aging to a point but it really depends on your lifestyle. A smoker is going to age alot faster than someone who stays healthy and exercises and all that. If you choose negative lifestyles, you're going to end up with negative results.
I don't think we should mess with the natural processes of aging. Making altercations may cause an overflow in population. Just because people stop dying, doesn't mean people will stop getting their freak on. It will mess up the balance of population. So... Don't try to alter mother nature -_-

A heart attack can kill you before smoking can. Boom.

If overpopulation occurs, we will quickly adapt to it by not having as many, or any kids. Just because you're almost immortal doesn't mean condoms and birth control stop working. Wink
Communistkid
Communistkid

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Biology of Aging Empty Yea boii. I know its long......

Post  Flipper Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:25 pm

I believe aging is determined more by how a person takes care of themselves. A person that smokes, drinks, and lives at McDonalds is going look a lot different than your healthy olympic triathelete. Genes play a major part in the way people age too but it is least likely that a person would age fast solely because of heridity. Based on what i read I think the rate of aging depends on the individual's decisions and actions.

I liked this article better than the last. The author really explored aging, why it occurs, will it always be apparent and what the world would be like if it wasnt. I found it very intereting how if people lived to be one thousand or more age stratification would no longer play a role in human society but it would make the way of living a bit uncomfortable when it came to family and friends. I dont think that it would be a good thing to stop the aging process because life all over the world would eventually become very disorganized. Too many people, not enough space... people would die and the world would become nothing but a high tech violent pitt of turmoil.... in my opinion pig

Flipper

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Biology of Aging Empty weird stuffs

Post  penguin94 Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:31 pm

Admin wrote:1. After reading Liz Ward's article, which aging theory do you subscribe to - is aging determined by your genes or is it determined by your lifestyle? Explain your stance.

1. I agree with the theory that both affect your aging. Your hereditary genes may include a longer life, but unhealthy lifestyles will also prevent you from living that longer life.
2. The idea of my grandparents looking the same age as me is scary. I mean, sure they act like it, but looking like it??!! It makes me cringe because then if you were dating someone and out of the blue you find out that they are 87...AWKWARD! I dont think we should stop the aging process, once we have lived our lives, its time to go and give someone else a turn.
penguin94
penguin94

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvowls Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:18 am

I believe that age strictly has to do with how well you take care of your body. Being overweight and out of shape will make our bodies ware down and deteriorate. I also think genetics also play a part in our lifespans but when it comes down to it it's all about keeping our bodies healthy.
I think it would be a horrible idea to eliminate aging. If we did this, the world would be terribly overpopulated and full of old people. Even tho our bodies may not show signs of aging, it is impossible to stop. Not only would this be a burden on other people but just being old is no good. Everyone needs to die at some point. Eliminating signs of aging is simply pointless

iluvowls

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:56 am

In my opinion aging is determined by both factors. Your genes can help determine if you will have a high chance for develping a disease, but if it is already programed into your DNA, then there is not much you can do to stop the disease from deveolping. However, I also believe that your lifestyle can help lessen the impact of aging on your body. If one was healthy throughout their life and excercised often, then, as they got older the rate at which they aged would be slower. I think A healthy lifestyle could slow the aging process and reduce the chances of them developing a hereditary disease, but I do not think that a healthy lifestyle could reprogram what is in your DNA. All you can do is slow the process.
Also, I think it would be great if people could live forever. We could use immortality for so many things. We could, in a sense, "preserve" people like famous scientists, who could now live long enough to further explore the unknowns of science. If people didn't age then we could actually send people in space to explore far off planets without them dying on the trip there. There would be a whole world of possibilities. The only problem, however, would be overpopulation, but we are going to reach that point sooner or later. Might as well as make the most of the planet before overpopulation becomes a big problem. Very Happy
Suga-Mama
Suga-Mama

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Biology of Aging Empty Why stop aging?

Post  Richiee12 Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:24 pm

I subscribe to the lifestyle theory. Aging isn't determined by your genes. If your dad ages quickly and your mom does too, that doesn't necessarily mean you will age quickly too. It all depends on your lifestyle, if you exercise often, maintain a good weight and enjoy life aging will affect you slowly. But if you're always stressed out, complaining, not living life to what you consider the standards, then you're more than likely going to age very quickly. Aging is something that you can control, if you wanna look young then take care of your health.

The whole idea of slowing aging is fine, but living to 120 years old is not. I don't feel the need to make a person last much longer in life than the average life expectancy of 80. Some people want to go to Heaven, it's supposed to be better up there anyways. Sometimes a cure for aging isn't need it, a lot of people like the act of aging because they like growing grey hair. I'm not sure too many people want a grandma and great-grandma that could look as if they were their mother. It's something about aging that makes a grandchild feel good about having a grandparent. Immortality would bring on overpopulation, meaning schools would REALLY be overcrowded, rulers would be in power much longer especially if they serve a lifetime reign, prisoners would be able to get released early which really isn't a problem if they have changed, but that would still be a problem and then life would get a little boring because after so long you can only do so much before the cycle repeats itself. We shouldn't stop aging process, its pointless for someone to be immortal. There's not that much enjoyment that you can do for 1,000+ years. The afterlife in Heaven is euphoria, it's supposed to be the best.

Richiee12

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:36 pm

penguin94 wrote:
Admin wrote:1. After reading Liz Ward's article, which aging theory do you subscribe to - is aging determined by your genes or is it determined by your lifestyle? Explain your stance.

2. The idea of my grandparents looking the same age as me is scary. I mean, sure they act like it, but looking like it??!! It makes me cringe because then if you were dating someone and out of the blue you find out that they are 87...AWKWARD! I dont think we should stop the aging process, once we have lived our lives, its time to go and give someone else a turn.

That is kind of creepy. Could you imagine going out to eat or somewhere and everyone asks if your grandparents are your mother and father or sister and brother? Just imagine the looks on people's faces when you tell them that they're your grandparents and they're 60 something years old. The dating thing is REALLY scary, stopping the aging process could bring on sexual assault and rape cases. People will lie about their age and it will be believed because they look so much younger than what they really are.

Richiee12

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:38 pm

Yofeetstink wrote:1. Aging is determined by your lifestyle not your genes because in the article they said even if your family has a long line of heart attacks then you can avoid it if you exercise a lot and eat healthy, which overrules the genes factor.

Not only that, but if this was true just imagine how many of your friend's would look 10x their age, and just imagine how old their parents look. Then again, I've seen people who grandparents look younger than their mom, thats not meaning to say that your going to look old or young, it just all depends on your health both physically and mentally.

Richiee12

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Biology of Aging Empty no

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:48 pm

I think that aging is determined by your life style, everything that happens to your body is based on the way you treat your body.

I mean I really don’t have anything to say really but that it was something that you are likely to here. Aging cant be eliminated because the world wouldn’t be in balance. If it was possible to stop the aging process I don’t think we should because people live there life and don’t need all the time in the world.

tw33tybirdn3rd

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:07 pm

gamerdude94 wrote: For the second question, I do not think we should find a cure for aging. Aging is a natural cycle of earth. If nobody died then we would all eventually die from starvation and food scarcity plus cramped conditions. It would also destroy the economy, look how hard it is to get a job now, it wont be any easier if everyones great-great-grandparents are working too.

You bring up very good social problems to consider and I totally agree. I do not think there will be enough room for people to stay on Earth that long.

aMAIZEing94

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:13 pm

timmy buck buck wrote:I believe that aging has to do with a persons lifestyle. This is based off my observations in life. Many people who smoke tend to age faster than those who don't. I think that the affects of smoking cause you to get wrinkles, get fatter and makes your face mature negatively. Aging also increases due to stress.

It is true that we can just look around at the people in our everyday lives and see the evidence showing that lifestyle can have a great impact on aging... possibly even greater than genetics.

aMAIZEing94

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Biology of Aging Empty you got it right

Post  penguin94 Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:24 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote:After reading Liz Ward's article, I think aging is determined somewhat by your genes and moreso by your lifestyle. People inherit genes that will determine how their bodies age, but the way you live and how you treat your body affects it more in the long run. An example from the article was perfect in saying that if your family does not have a history of heart disease or high blood pressure, you can still get those diseases depending on how you treat your body.
I think the author's mind is in the right place as a scientist trying to come up with a new solution to life. Societal problems that can be caused by the elimination of aging are the elimination or differences of stereotypes we, as humans, have come up with for those in different ages. For example, young people will be dating REALLY old people and that may be just fine... for everyone. However, I think we should leave the aging process alone. I think it was made like that for a reason and if it is supposed to change then it will on its own. Cool Laughing
I also believe that we were dealt this hand for a reason. if we are meant to live longer, than we would be, if our lifestyles didnt change for the worse. I personally wouldnt want to live longer and continue to live in a "crashing" economy and a politically "unstable" world. I dont want to deal with the trials of life any longer than is needful.
penguin94
penguin94

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Biology of Aging Empty Life is compared to riding a bike

Post  penguin94 Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:56 pm

[quote="Communistkid"]
Sweet, God gets brought in. Riddle me this, if suicide is a sin (ending your life earlier than you would "naturally die") then wouldn't not trying to live as long as possible be suicide? Especially if you have the means to do so? Either way if a all-powerful supernatural being wants you dead, he probably isn't going to give you a cancer.[quote]
If you do not try to live longer than your body is able to function correctly, and you die of natural causes, then no it is not condisered suicide because you did not bring about your own death. You simply "went the way of the world". I do not consider trying to prolong your "stay" on the Earth as bad, but if you do that and things happen that continue to make it necessary for you to continue attempting to lengthen your life, then its probably your time to go, you have fulfilled your purpose in life. Also, I believe that God gave us such trials and tribulations as cancer to teach us patience, love, kindness, and compassion. these trials were also created and given so that we may be humble and become closer to God through prayer and faith and when we do pray and have faith, we will recieve blessings and the trials will end when we die and we will finally be at peace. it is just like riding a bike. you dont get to enjoy the sensation of riding a bike until you try, fall down and hurt yourself a few times, but still try and eventually, usually with help from a parent, you finally are able to do it.

Last edited by penguin94 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bcuz)
penguin94
penguin94

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:10 pm

[quote="Communistkid"]
Yofeetstink wrote:
Addressing #2: So we should stop using modern medicine too? It stops people from dying, so shouldn't the unnatural practice stop?

If you said yes to either of these questions, have fun dying to a stubbed toe that got infected.

Sweet, God gets brought in. Riddle me this, if suicide is a sin (ending your life earlier than you would "naturally die") then wouldn't not trying to live as long as possible be suicide? Especially if you have the means to do so? Either way if a all-powerful supernatural being wants you dead, he probably isn't going to give you a cancer.

To be completely honest though, anytime you need to bring religion into a non religious debacle, it's not because your god/s doesn't like it. It's probably more because you personally frown upon it, but don't have reason to.

Modern medicine doesnt stop death, it prolongs it. Plus if ending the aging process was made a reality it would lead to inhumanity. People already fight over medicine and rights to treatment. Who would decide who gets to be immortal and who doesnt? Whats the difference between someone in a 3rd world country and in the U.S. If anti-aging treatments were brought into effect then there would be war even more than there is now. Also what I think "yofeetstink" is trying to say about the whole god thing is that when its a persons time to go its time to go. That doesnt necessarily mean suicide. Suicide would be denying a good life while acceptance of death would be being thankful for the time you had on earth.

gamerdude94

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Communistkid wrote:1. After reading Liz Ward's article, which aging theory do you subscribe to - is aging determined by your genes or is it determined by your lifestyle? Explain your stance.

Seriously? It's genes people. It isn't what has the biggest effect, its what determines the aging process. Yes, smoking crystal meth will destroy your body, but it will be destroyed either way because:

A) You get too old and your genes start to slowly make more and more mistakes and you get a tumor.

B) You have a genetic disease like sickle cell (average life span for males is 42, females 48)

I see where you are coming from but I have to point something out. Even though someone can have a genetic disease you can still prolong your average lifespan by choosing a healthy lifestyle. Genes may choose a certain lifespan but if I chose to smoke or eat bad then it could have negative effects. Its kind of like a sport. There can be a predicted score but it depends on what you do in the game that results in a positive or negative outcome.

gamerdude94

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvowls Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:45 pm

krazedxasylum wrote:After reading the article, i still say that aging is a result of your lifestyle. Many things that you experience and endure greatly affect your age.

I agree that age is determined by lifestyle. Our bodies will wear and tear like anything else. Treating anything bad will cause it be run down. Az far as our genes go, I think it's possible to have healthy genes which will cause you to be able to live longer.

iluvowls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next