Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - China's Population

+10
snookieluvs2tan
londylou
MiszCheesekake41
GummyBearLove
20north_star12
earthycolors
Love_Muffins
smiley11
whatitdochickado
Admin
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty 5th Hour - China's Population

Post  Admin Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:48 pm

After watching China's Lost Girls, reflect on the video and select one of the following questions to answer. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

2. What do you think about China's population solution? What social issues have arisen/will arise in future years as a result of China's population solution? What can China's government do to help solve these social problems?

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, November 17 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, November 19 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

https://hancockhonorsbio.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty BABIES!

Post  whatitdochickado Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:08 pm

1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

i think china's population solution is BOGUS! why can't you just make them MOVE OUT OF CHINA if they wanna have some more 'love products' (that's what i call kids sometimes.) sure other places have a lot of people, but make them go to a place with out that many people. MAKE THEM ESKIMOS! there aren't a ton of them eskimos. they need some friends. soo if they wanna have more kids, sure punish them, but dont make them PAY for their babies. thats just wrong. no child should have to be bought to be loved... /: sorry, this kinda stuff makes me mad. and NOW im off to go do some homework and studying.... SEE YA!

whatitdochickado

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty Re: 5th Hour - China's Population

Post  smiley11 Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm

2. What do you think about China's population solution? What social issues have arisen/will arise in future years as a result of China's population solution? What can China's government do to help solve these social problems?

I don't really like China's population solution. That's just down right wrong! The issue that will arise in the future years is that there will not be enough females for the males to marry because the parents have to get rid of them in order to have a son. Also, American families are adopting the little girls. China can let the families have at least two children a boy and a girl to try and balance the population between males and females
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty PPL UPLODE A PROFILE PIC!!!!!! PLZ :)

Post  Love_Muffins Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:03 pm

I don't think China's population change very much since the law change. I don't think It's right at all for the government to tell people how many kids they can have. Most of the people in the government have more then one child. They shouldn't be punished for having kids. It's not like their teenagers. I think that its crazy that people feel like to hide or kill their babies in order to not get in trouble with the law, but I guess I can't really judge because that something I'm not use to. I know they are just doing something that keeps them out of trouble. And if you think about it, its not that different from abortion. Kind of...
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty Smiling dog.

Post  earthycolors Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:29 pm

I think that China's solution to the problem is certainly logical, and I would have thought of the same answer on my first guess, but if they thought harder about their law, they would have found out that people are gonna want male childs to carry on their family name and support their family. It is just Chinese tradition. And now the social issues that came as an effect of that are that the ratio of males to females is shockingly and significantly unbalanced. It is so uneven that, in fact, most males won't find a female. This causes aggression among men as well as an increase in rapings, forced prostitution, kidnappings, sexual harassment, and other crimes. It literally causes the population to become like a fight between hobos for a 15 oz steak and loaded mashed potatoes. A couple of solutions to China's gender imbalance is to state a law saying that if you're first born child is a girl, the government will give you tax cuts if you keep the child, as well as tax increases if you're first born child is a boy (I know it's a bit harsh, but desperate times call for desperate measures, right). Another possible solution is to fine the parents thousands of dollars or imprisoned if they are caught abandoning or trying to kill a female child or newborn.
afro

Last edited by earthycolors on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:35 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistakes and more detail)
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty No Title for this one...

Post  20north_star12 Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:52 pm

Personally, I whole heartedly disagree with their solution. I think that morally it is wrong. I would never give up a child to a random stranger, sell it, kill it, or anything of that sort. I am practically mortified by all of this. I must be honest and admit that I might be biased for I don't have a mother, and one of my biggest goals in life is to have a family. I could never just give a child up. As a parent, you're supposed to be the one that loves, cares, and protects your child. No excuses; point blank. With all of this being said, I must also contest that I am looking at it through their outlook and am trying to understand. I can some sort of see where they are coming from, however, I think that the government could be doing much better things for their people in the idea that they are supposed to be the ones that are in charge and have the most say so. I don't think the true problem lies with the people having children, but with the government itself. The government should be doing things such as trying to find more land or something. For the government to punish them for having more than the alotted amount, they are in fact depriving society of a beautiful soul and potentially the next Albert Einstein. By having such bureacratic regulations, they are making young women choose unethical solutions. They are also causing an imbalance of gender ratio, which will come back and bite them in their behinds because males may carry on the last name, but who is the one to carry that child?

Last edited by 20north_star12 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

20north_star12

Back to top Go down

Post  20north_star12 Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:57 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:

I don't think China's population change very much since the law change. I don't think It's right at all for the government to tell people how many kids they can have. Most of the people in the government have more then one child. They shouldn't be punished for having kids. It's not like their teenagers. I think that its crazy that people feel like to hide or kill their babies in order to not get in trouble with the law, but I guess I can't really judge because that something I'm not use to. I know they are just doing something that keeps them out of trouble. And if you think about it, its not that different from abortion. Kind of...

It's crazy to even imagine the lengths that some people would go to to avoid the law. I may not agree with everything our government has done and policies they've put into place, I'm really glad we don't have this problem and infraction on what you would think is a life right. I have to point out the fact that you said it's not much different than an abortion because I severely disagree. Killing a child after birth or selling it into an unknown situation is downright different from abortion. I would bet my life that sometimes the abortion would be so much better than the conditions some of these birthed babies have to deal with daily.

20north_star12

Back to top Go down

Post  20north_star12 Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:01 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

i think china's population solution is BOGUS! why can't you just make them MOVE OUT OF CHINA if they wanna have some more 'love products' (that's what i call kids sometimes.) sure other places have a lot of people, but make them go to a place with out that many people. MAKE THEM ESKIMOS! there aren't a ton of them eskimos. they need some friends. soo if they wanna have more kids, sure punish them, but dont make them PAY for their babies. thats just wrong. no child should have to be bought to be loved... /: sorry, this kinda stuff makes me mad. and NOW im off to go do some homework and studying.... SEE YA!

Reading through this I really wondered what you would suppose they should do to punish them. Jail them? Then they wouldn't even be around to take care of that child. I agree that the babies could be sent out of the country, but then the whole family would have to go. This would then cause an increase in population somewhere else and would also help to decrease China's population. This would be an excellent idea, as I also stated something similar to this in my post, if the government would only open their eyes a little wider and not be so close minded and dense.

20north_star12

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty LAY YO HEAD ON MY PILLOWWWWWWWW..!!!!!!!!!

Post  GummyBearLove Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:27 pm

I really disagree with China's population solution.OF COURSE everyone would want to keep the boys...I dont know what they were thinking when they came up with the whole you can only have one child thing..I mean i think its better to be over populated by a bit than to have men fighting over women. Some women have no say in who they will marry and have kids with just for the simple fact that there are so many less woman than there are males..I think a person shouldnt be fined at all for having more than the amount of kids regulated..I dont think a child should be bought..I also think it is not good how it is illegal to see the sex of the baby through an ultrasound..I think by knowing this first hand abortion could be a possibility..there is no use in bringing a whole lot of people into the world if your just going to A.Kill them anyway..B.Have to put them up for adoption..or C.Pay for them..I mean not saying that i am for abortions all the time..but most of these kids have no chance in life anyway..but idk i guess im just speaking because i live in a world where everyone can have as many kids as they so please..so i know im very ignorant to the situation..But from the looks of it..thats how it is

GummyBearLove

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty GIRLS RULE!!!!

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:51 pm

I think China's population solution is on the right track but one child is just crazy. Maybe two or three children so that a parent won't have to make a decision between a boy and a girl or have to get rid of one of the twins woud be better. I do think it is ethical for government to mandate the number of children a person can have because its in the best interest of the country. It seems that without a limit people in China wold have so many children that it affects them or their children in the long run. I just think it would be better if tey change it to two children and maybe people would have boys and girls ,That way the male and female populations woul be a little more equal to each other.But since there are more males their will be alot more issues because men have to fight over women. Also less women means less children are able to be born..(each generation is smaller and smaller) then China's population might get too small. Its all about balance and people just need to really sit and realize that.. queen king

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:00 pm

GummyBearLove wrote:

I really disagree with China's population solution.OF COURSE everyone would want to keep the boys...I dont know what they were thinking when they came up with the whole you can only have one child thing..I mean i think its better to be over populated by a bit than to have men fighting over women. Some women have no say in who they will marry and have kids with just for the simple fact that there are so many less woman than there are males..I think a person shouldnt be fined at all for having more than the amount of kids regulated..I dont think a child should be bought..I also think it is not good how it is illegal to see the sex of the baby through an ultrasound..I think by knowing this first hand abortion could be a possibility..there is no use in bringing a whole lot of people into the world if your just going to A.Kill them anyway..B.Have to put them up for adoption..or C.Pay for them..I mean not saying that i am for abortions all the time..but most of these kids have no chance in life anyway..but idk i guess im just speaking because i live in a world where everyone can have as many kids as they so please..so i know im very ignorant to the situation..But from the looks of it..thats how it is

Its funny how we live in a country with no limit or rule about how many children we have but people usually don't want to have more than 2 or 3 kids anyway. But in China people want to have all these children.Its ike reverse psycology ..when you tell people they can't have alot of kids they want to but if people can have as many as they want then they don't have alot. Arrow

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:06 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

affraid OMG THAT IS SO MEAN!!! there will still be the same problem with people killing and hiding their babies because they don't want to pick up and move away. Now maybe people should move if they don't agree with the rules if thats their choice . But MAKING them move is mean!

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty All The Pretty Little Horses

Post  londylou Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:07 pm

What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

I dont like China's population solution and I absolutely DO NOT think its ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have. I understand that the population is ridiculous, but really? Fining someone thousands of dollars if they have more than one child? What if it is an accident? Then they have to kill or abandon an innocent human being because of someone's rule. Or what if they have a girl first but wanted a boy so the family name could be continued? It would be heart-wrenching to have to give up your very first child becaue of this. And I assume the government didnt think about the problems this policy would bring up in the long run. There wont be enough girls for the boys to marry! They should be able to have at least two children. That way someone could have the chance to have a boy and a girl, and there will be enough girls to marry the boys in the future.

londylou

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:36 pm

I think it's pretty terrible for China to mandate how many children a person has. But, to some extent, if China is becoming overpopulated, then the government needs to regulate how many children Chinese couples have. But I also think that the number people are allowed to have should at least be three, because it is common for people to have twins and triplets, rather than be octo-mom status. It is pretty harsh to tell someone they can only have one child, or risk paying a hefty fine to keep their OWN child.If the Chinese are so smart, they need to figure it out!

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty im soo tired of tis right now its my third time trying to post something

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:40 pm

I think China's population solution is maybe not the best way to handle overpopulation but it is fine because the whole country is well aware of what the rule is. I do think it is ethical for the government to propose the law because it is a big problem but I do not think its ethical for people to kill their babies and the government accepts it like white on rice. I think there should be more of a punishment for the killing of children rather than having more than one kid BUT the rule is needed because if it were not in place people whould still be shooting babies out like the Duggar family. OH YEAH i think its wrong too because WHA? KILLING OF BABIES not thats a little extreme its like deal with the cards you were dealt its called LIFE. (i hope i ended strong lol)
FounderofGFFandBabycat
FounderofGFFandBabycat

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleMissSophie Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:09 am

I think the solution is 50/50. The government is not making anyone kill or throw their child away! They are doing this on their own. Its not right for the government to fine a family for having more than one child, not right to even say how many they are allowed to have. This is the way they have come up with to control their country that is over populated. Not everything can be morally right. No one is forced to stay or leave.

LittleMissSophie

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:44 am

The solution is actually quite logical. The problem arises from culture rather than the actual law. the government isn't there to be ethical, it is there to make tough decisions that the common man can not. They needed to limit population growth, what else were they to do? Neuter poor people? (I'm okay with them doing it to the unintelligent). The fines are the most correct way because even though government isn't supposed to be ethical killing a baby is not on there list of things that please the people.
Communistkid
Communistkid

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:49 am

smiley11 wrote:2. What do you think about China's population solution? What social issues have arisen/will arise in future years as a result of China's population solution? What can China's government do to help solve these social problems?

I don't really like China's population solution. That's just down right wrong! The issue that will arise in the future years is that there will not be enough females for the males to marry because the parents have to get rid of them in order to have a son. Also, American families are adopting the little girls. China can let the families have at least two children a boy and a girl to try and balance the population between males and females

How is it wrong? Would you rather the eventual children starve to death because of a lack of food? You are incredibly cruel :p. I do however agree with your solution somewhat, but the fact remains village people will still want to have boys. Two boys will still be better than one boy and a girl.

Last edited by Communistkid on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : MOTHER RUSSIA)
Communistkid
Communistkid

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:59 am

20north_star12 wrote:1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

Personally, I whole heartedly disagree with their solution. I think that morally it is wrong. I would never give up a child to a random stranger, sell it, kill it, or anything of that sort. I am practically mortified by all of this. I must be honest and admit that I might be biased for I don't have a mother, and one of my biggest goals in life is to have a family. I could never just give a child up. As a parent, you're supposed to be the one that loves, cares, and protects your child. No excuses; point blank. With all of this being said, I must also contest that I am looking at it through their outlook and am trying to understand. I can some sort of see where they are coming from, however, I think that the government could be doing much better things for their people in the idea that they are supposed to be the ones that are in charge and have the most say so. I don't think the true problem lies with the people having children, but with the government itself. The government should be doing things such as trying to find more land or something. For the government to punish them for having more than the alotted amount, they are in fact depriving society of a beautiful soul and potentially the next Albert Einstein. By having such bureacratic regulations, they are making young women choose unethical solutions. They are also causing an imbalance of gender ratio, which will come back and bite them in their behinds because males may carry on the last name, but who is the one to carry that child?

So you would rather go to war than have a one child limit? Seems to me like a child that never happens or even is concepted will feel a lot less pain and a lot less sadness as a man who has to go to war, die for the land his country needs because it couldn't fix and serious problem, and leave his family and friends to mourn. I do want to tell you that i'm sorry your mother wasn't there for you and i never can or will be able to understand what yours or her situation is/was like. Trust me china doesn't need help with the genius department, they still have about 1.6 billion other people to take a shot at that.
Communistkid
Communistkid

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty Were's yo pic???

Post  Love_Muffins Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:07 am

20north_star12 wrote:
Love_Muffins wrote:

It's crazy to even imagine the lengths that some people would go to to avoid the law. I may not agree with everything our government has done and policies they've put into place, I'm really glad we don't have this problem and infraction on what you would think is a life right. I have to point out the fact that you said it's not much different than an abortion because I severely disagree. Killing a child after birth or selling it into an unknown situation is downright different from abortion. I would bet my life that sometimes the abortion would be so much better than the conditions some of these birthed babies have to deal with daily.

I don't think you got what i tried to say. I meant that killings your baby in China, is probably not a BIG BIG deal over there, as abortion is over here. You probably have 1/3 of the population that don't think it's wrong, 1/3 that think its murder, and the rest don't care because they don't have to deal with it. You have to look at it thur one of the girl's eyes and try to understand what they are going thur....
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty Well!!!!!

Post  Love_Muffins Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:18 am

Communistkid wrote:1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

The solution is actually quite logical. The problem arises from culture rather than the actual law. the government isn't there to be ethical, it is there to make tough decisions that the common man can not. They needed to limit population growth, what else were they to do? Neuter poor people? (I'm okay with them doing it to the unintelligent). The fines are the most correct way because even though government isn't supposed to be ethical killing a baby is not on there list of things that please the people.

ok if they fix the baby problom they also need to fix the "baby killing" problom. I know that they see that kids are being killed. Or maybe they don't care.
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

Post  Love_Muffins Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:22 am

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:I think China's population solution is maybe not the best way to handle overpopulation but it is fine because the whole country is well aware of what the rule is. I do think it is ethical for the government to propose the law because it is a big problem but I do not think its ethical for people to kill their babies and the government accepts it like white on rice. I think there should be more of a punishment for the killing of children rather than having more than one kid BUT the rule is needed because if it were not in place people whould still be shooting babies out like the Duggar family. OH YEAH i think its wrong too because WHA? KILLING OF BABIES not thats a little extreme its like deal with the cards you were dealt its called LIFE. (i hope i ended strong lol)

Yea i think they should deal with the killing as well.

ps: lol white on rice
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty Smiley Dog.

Post  earthycolors Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:11 pm

LittleMissSophie wrote:1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

I think the solution is 50/50. The government is not making anyone kill or throw their child away! They are doing this on their own. Its not right for the government to fine a family for having more than one child, not right to even say how many they are allowed to have. This is the way they have come up with to control their country that is over populated. Not everything can be morally right. No one is forced to stay or leave.

I mostly agree with you, LittleMissSopie. The government trying to keep parents down to one child is morally wrong, but it might be the only way to keep China from becoming a giant blister. Having more than a billion people in a country the size of China is a recipe that might end in disaster unless we think fast. The population is climbing and increasing faster than ever. It can more than double in 20 years or less. And limiting how many children a family can have seems to be the fastest and safest solution for the moment. Unless.... we increase the death rate... Suspect but that wont happen... Neutral jk lol
afro

Last edited by earthycolors on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistakes)
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty Smiley dog tries to make a persuasive interception of thought

Post  earthycolors Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:29 pm

smiley11 wrote:2. What do you think about China's population solution? What social issues have arisen/will arise in future years as a result of China's population solution? What can China's government do to help solve these social problems?

Although I don't like China's population solution either, it's not the government's fault that the parents are abandoning little girls or killing them. That's based off of China's 4000 year tradition. And letting China's parents have at least 2 children will never solve the issue. It might, in fact, worsen it. With a higher limit on children count, parents will end up having 3 kids sometimes instead of just 2. Limiting families to only one child might not be morally right, but it seems to be the fastest way to stop China from being too over populated. A country the size of China holding more than a sixth of the world's population is never a good thing. On top of that, the population is increasing faster than ever; it can more than double in 20 years or less. If nothing gets done fast to stop China's rapid population growth, We could be looking at the first country to collapse under the weight of it's people. There won't be enough houses to shelter everybody, not enough food to feed everybody, not enough money to go around, and more. silent
afro

Last edited by earthycolors on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistakes)
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty O_o

Post  Hollywood Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:07 pm

The video really made me think about the situation thats going on in China. I don't think it is ethical AT ALL for China's government to mandate how many children each family can have. I don't think that anyone should have to give up their child by force. And didnt they stop to think about what women actually do? Just think about what would happen if there are wayy more boys than girls in China. It would be chaos -_- but thats not the point... Its not right to be punished for wanting to keep your child!!
Hollywood
Hollywood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next