Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch

+16
Suga-Mama
Siillee-Differenter
Richiee12
penguin94
tw33tybirdn3rd
RylesTuesday
tweetywizard
Yofeetstink
PaulyD
gamerdude94
timmy buck buck
krazedxasylum
aMAIZEing94
iluvowls
violinist13
Admin
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Post  Admin Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:32 am

Visit YouTube.com to view either CNN's "Garbage Island" or "The Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Good Morning America." Then read Charles Moore's "The Great Pacific Garbage Patch." Reflect on the video & article, and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. Why should we care? How does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch ultimately impact humans?

2. Suggest a solution to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. How can we solve this problem? Why is your solution better tahn other options?

The article by Charles Moore can be accessed at: http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Ocean/Moore-Trashed-PacificNov03.htm

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, September 8 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, September 10 at 11:59 pm

Last edited by Admin on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

https://hancockhonorsbio.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty Plastic is harmful! Do want to recycle now?

Post  violinist13 Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:53 pm

We need to start caring because this will come back to kick us in the butt. The fish in the ocean are eating the plastic. If the fish are eating the plastic who knows if we are eating the plastic since we are the fish. The plastic is also getting eaten by birds. Scientist have founded dead birds with plastic in their stomach. I think this is outrageous and the world needs to do something about it starting today!
violinist13
violinist13

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty This is outrageous

Post  iluvowls Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:33 pm

We should definitely care about this garbage patch. In the video, it was shown that there was more plastic in the water than plankton. They showed the stomachs of dead animals who have eaten the plastic because they thought it was shell fish. In Charles Moore's video, they showed a turtle with a piece of plastic wrapped around the middle of it body keeping that part or the turtle from growing. It also showed a seal with plastic netting wrapped around it's neck. By not recycling, we are harming these animals leading them to eventually die off. We are also harming the fish that we eat which is ultimately harming ourselves leading humans eventually die off as well. It is really sad to see that we have created such a monstrous problem that is too big to fix. The damage is already done and there is no amount of work that will ever get all of this plastic out of the ocean let alone off of our planet because plastic will never decompose.

iluvowls

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty UGH!!!

Post  aMAIZEing94 Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:30 pm

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is just disgusting. We should care about it because the trash in our ocean could enter our food chain as it has with the birds and small fish from the video. It is scary to think about. It definitely impacts humans because we are basically surrounding a floating dump in the middle of the ocean that is larger than the size of the United States. I do not even want to think about going to the beach that I love in California anymore because I know that I will be in the same water that holds much of the trash in the world. pale

aMAIZEing94

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty Looks Like Nemo is Lost AGAIN!!!!!!

Post  krazedxasylum Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:56 pm

This video is crazy. We should definately care about this video. Some of the stuff i found in thid video was extremely eye opening. The Pacific Garbage Patch is big enough to be considered the worlds largest landfill. If that's not shocking to anyone, then i don't know what could be. when the video showsed the turtle and the seal, with the plastic around different sections of their bodies, i then realized how serious this can affect humans. From us not recyclng, we are contaminating our food change and what goes around comes around, so this will eventually catch up to us. In the end, by contaminationg our oceans, we will be disturbing our food chain which in the end will hurt us as well.

krazedxasylum

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT AND U MAY SAVE JOES CRAB SHACK

Post  timmy buck buck Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:13 pm

The great pacific garbage patch is a result of many years of trash being floated to the ocean. This has a big impact on human lives along with the lives of our oceanic wildlife. Garbage like plastic and cans and human filth harm and kill animals. When this happens our fish tend to die due to the upset in environment and the tipping of the natural balance. This affects us humans because the many seafoods we eat come from the ocean and if they are reduced in number then the price of seafood will rise. With the reduced number in fish the fish that eat other fish will die as well or migrate to other parts of the sea killing off new types of fish that they don't eat. Another problem is that the currents are pushing this big ball of trash closer to the land and as time goes on more and more trash is dragged out to sea into the island of trash. If the island gets any bigger then the island will become a problem just like the oil spill was. Last but not least we will lose some of our seafood restaurants and foods native to island coutries will cease to exist if more and more fish tend to die from eating garbage< plastic and metals found in trash,like soda cans.
timmy buck buck
timmy buck buck

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty Our duty to keep earth protected

Post  gamerdude94 Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:11 pm

When I watched the video and read the article I was astounded by the size of this mess. As mentioned in the article this "patch" is about the size of texas where it is thickest. We should definitley care about this issue. The ocean is our means of transportation, businness, recreation, and many other things. The ocean also feeds us. If the fish are swimming in the water affected by contaminants from plastic are we really safe when we eat them? Our country is more concerned on the oil spill which is just as big of a hazard and the same difficulty to clean as this patch. If we do not do something soon we will lose one of our main sources of life pretty fast.

gamerdude94

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty What in the world?!

Post  PaulyD Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Ofcourse we should care about the garbage patch because its not only going or already is affecting marine life but human life as well and we need to do something about it so it doesnt do anymore harm to the ocean. The Pacific Garbage Patch ultimately impact humans because when the all that garbage from the land makes it out to sea it goes to the garbage patch where the plastic breaks down into smaller pieces and fish eat that plastic thinking its food and eventually that fish gets eaten and in a long chain of events whe eat the plastic. Thats disgusting to think that we eat our own garbage and we didnt even know about it till 1997 which is that long ago and is so massive that all we can do is to try and start recycling more.
PaulyD
PaulyD

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Post  Yofeetstink Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:03 pm

The Great Pacific Patch is just ridiculous i mean seriously. The patch is 10 million square miles and 3.5 million tons that is just ridiculously large. We need to at least stunt its growth and if possible reduce the amount of garbage slowly as each year goes by. This garbage patch can affect us if we do not stop it. In the video it shows that a little tiny fish can have 26 pieces of plastic inside of it. That is a lot of unhealthy plastic that we are probably consuming as well since we eat fish and a lot of the fish we eat are a lot bigger than the one shown in the video. That plastic can possibly make us humans sick because we do not know what has come in contact with it so if we do not do something about this patch it could not only hurt the fish and birds as we saw but us as well.
Yofeetstink
Yofeetstink

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Post  iluvowls Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:36 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:When I watched the video and read the article I was astounded by the size of this mess. As mentioned in the article this "patch" is about the size of texas where it is thickest. We should definitley care about this issue. The ocean is our means of transportation, businness, recreation, and many other things. The ocean also feeds us. If the fish are swimming in the water affected by contaminants from plastic are we really safe when we eat them? Our country is more concerned on the oil spill which is just as big of a hazard and the same difficulty to clean as this patch. If we do not do something soon we will lose one of our main sources of life pretty fast.

I agree that our country should pay more attention to this and not only the oil spill. I think, though, that this garbage patch a larger problem than the oil spill because it stretches millions of miles. The plastic will be worse to clean up than the oil because oil eventually will evaporate go away after so many years. Plastic will never decompose and this patch will only get bigger and pass through more and more animals. Even if we did recycle, it wouldn't make a difference with what has already been done. It would more than likely, considering that the patch weighs millions of tons, take much longer to clean up than the oil spill.

iluvowls

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty OMG!!!

Post  tweetywizard Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:46 pm

This is so nasty its ridiculous!! We should care about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch because it effects us so much but the citizens of the United States don't even realize it. We are throwing trash outside our window and not realizing that it ends up in this garbage patch. Then we want to eat the fish that we get from the water and they may have garbage in their stomachs and we end up eating it. So we are we would be eating what we threw out. So that to me is very disgusting and i think that we all no better and we should not be throwing out trash. Because where will it end up???...THE GREAT PACIFIC GARBAGE PATCH!!

tweetywizard

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvowls Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:52 pm

PaulyD wrote:Ofcourse we should care about the garbage patch because its not only going or already is affecting marine life but human life as well and we need to do something about it so it doesnt do anymore harm to the ocean. The Pacific Garbage Patch ultimately impact humans because when the all that garbage from the land makes it out to sea it goes to the garbage patch where the plastic breaks down into smaller pieces and fish eat that plastic thinking its food and eventually that fish gets eaten and in a long chain of events whe eat the plastic. Thats disgusting to think that we eat our own garbage and we didnt even know about it till 1997 which is that long ago and is so massive that all we can do is to try and start recycling more.

It really is true that all we actually can do in the end is recycle. We could try to get people to go into the ocean and collect this plastic but there are such large quantities that it would hardly make a difference and it would probably take hundreds of years to get close to making a difference, especially considering that there will always be people who do not recycle. When you think about it, this damage is already done and it is a problem that is going to stick with us forever and only get worse. I think it should be an international law that everyone needs to recycle. I also think that we have produced way too much plastic over the years. It should have been a law all along that everyone must recycle. We have made huge mistakes with such a small idea like plastic, which could possibly end all life on Earth.

iluvowls

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty caring is the key

Post  RylesTuesday Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:59 pm

making people care about this issue needs to be spread. i still see everyone throwing trash out of their car daily and it's eventually going to end up in that grabage patch. this can hurt humans by more animals than just fish and birds starting to eat the plastic and if we do not notice we could eat the animals eating the plastic and it evenutally getting into our systems. but a more realistic way of it hurting us is it damages our oceans, thus damaging our fish and supply of food from animals that eat the plastic and die. this is hurting our planet as we speak and we should care about the environment that we transformed. we are the cause of the death of this earth and if we don't help stop issues like this and start upping our recycling of plastic, it will get worse and the earth will become a huge wasteland and we'll have to move into space! and we'll all become fat and never walk anywhere like in WALLE! haha joking but we really need to help reduce this problem! it's disgusting that we can't keep our own planet clean Smile
RylesTuesday
RylesTuesday

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty I SERIOUSLY CANT BELIEVE THIS....

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:03 pm

1. Why should we care? How does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch ultimately impact humans?

2. Suggest a solution to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. How can we solve this problem? Why is your solution better tahn other options?

I would have never known this was there if Ms. H didnt tell us to write a disscussion about this. People should care about this Garbage Patch in the ocean because it can be affecting them. It cam be the cause of alot of dead animals if the plastic was to get stuck in thier throat and they could sofficate. there are mnay reasons why people should car eof this Patch. For one its geting back to them in the food they eat. Two its hurting our wild life living out in that part of the ocean. i cant believe it has been there that long and with all the science an technology we have they have not found a way to stop the plastic and other things getting there. we are so advanced and your telling me there is no way to stop the pollution. This could really hurt all people what if it gets to big to the point of where is couvers all water over the world no matter is the currents push it , its just going to pill up and eventually spread out all over the world and as human beings we nor our wild life can live without water. There needs to be a big debvate on how to stop all the garbage form getting to this point or any point. Scienctist need to try and find out a way to dipose of the things that cant really be recycled. Not every one recycles and for there to be only %% of plastic to be recycled i am heart broken. Im not saying i have the best solution but there is some way that this can be prevented, if there is a way to create plastic there has to be a way to get rid of it completely. OUR WORLD NEEDS HELP!!!!!

tw33tybirdn3rd

Back to top Go down

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:07 pm

Yofeetstink wrote:The Great Pacific Patch is just ridiculous i mean seriously. The patch is 10 million square miles and 3.5 million tons that is just ridiculously large. We need to at least stunt its growth and if possible reduce the amount of garbage slowly as each year goes by. This garbage patch can affect us if we do not stop it. In the video it shows that a little tiny fish can have 26 pieces of plastic inside of it. That is a lot of unhealthy plastic that we are probably consuming as well since we eat fish and a lot of the fish we eat are a lot bigger than the one shown in the video. That plastic can possibly make us humans sick because we do not know what has come in contact with it so if we do not do something about this patch it could not only hurt the fish and birds as we saw but us as well.

YOUR RIGHT..... We can be taking in the exact same stuff that the fish are eating. There has to be a way to reduce or stop all the garbage form getting to a point of being more tons than pou population.

tw33tybirdn3rd

Back to top Go down

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:10 pm

violinist13 wrote:We need to start caring because this will come back to kick us in the butt. The fish in the ocean are eating the plastic. If the fish are eating the plastic who knows if we are eating the plastic since we are the fish. The plastic is also getting eaten by birds. Scientist have founded dead birds with plastic in their stomach. I think this is outrageous and the world needs to do something about it starting today!

I cant believ they havent found a way to stop all this madness. People need to know of this matter and care of whats happening to thier wild life i mean they are eating them. Neutral

tw33tybirdn3rd

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty Garbage patch? More like a natural disaster!

Post  penguin94 Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:15 pm

I didnt even know that this "garbage patch" even existed until i saw the video and read the article! that shows how little we know about our environment. i think that the word should be spread out to everyone. after all, WE are causing the problem. WE invented plastic and so WE should be held responsible for how it is disposed of; not by littering because that will only end up in the ocean, but by reusing it. if we dont do something, the garbage will only end up harming us. the plankton, fish, and birds that eat this not only kills them, but when we eat them, it causes damage to our own bodies. the article mentions that these clusters of garbage can hold a large concentration of toxins. we swim, drink, and eat the animals that are in the water, thereby ingesting the toxins ourselves! WE COULD DIE!! affraid
penguin94
penguin94

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty We can be the blame

Post  Richiee12 Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:20 pm

This big garbage patch in the middle of the ocean is really only caused by us. We can only blame ourselves for the reason that it has developed and is still growing. Seeing that most of it is plastic, and that only 5% of all plastics are recycled, we have to do our job to stop the garbage patch from becoming something bigger than what it already is. It's obvious than we cannot eliminate the garbage patch, however we can do our job to slow it down.
Have you ever thought this could be one of the major causes of global warming? If not now, then eventually this will effect the global warming or have something to do with the global warming. Especially seeing that plastic is a major contributor to global warming. We should care because it effect our lives in the future. We should care because we caused it and only we can attempt to hopefully stop it, or slow it down. The Pacific Garbage Patch is affected our wildlife, and they're eating the plastic. This could possibly mean that we are eating the plastic too. Is it likely that the plastic is harming our bodies? If its killing wildlife, specifically fish, are there chances that it could kill us too?

Richiee12

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty This is why we should RECYCLE!

Post  Siillee-Differenter Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:35 pm

Neutral
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is something I never knew existed. The amount of waste covering the Pacific is unbelieveable. It suprised me to know that 80% of it was all plastic. Hearing this gave me more of an understanding of why we humans, should recycle. The simple fact that plastic doesnt decompose, bhut only breaks down into tiny peices has a great impact on humans. With the trash being so tiny, small fish and birds are eating all of this, which could be entering our food chain. If we care about what goes into our body and the safety of our food then this should be a concern. Recycling ,in my opinion, is the BEST way to prevent this garbage patch from expanding.

Siillee-Differenter

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty WOW!-just Wow!

Post  Suga-Mama Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:45 pm

What is the world coming to? I'm truley speechless! Sometimes I just don't understand how people can be so irresponsible and cruel to thier own planet. Don't people realize that all that pollution eventually gets back into the foods we eat and is poisoning us too? The garbage patch is extreme disgusting and ridiculous. Why doesn't anybody ever talk about this. I've heard rumors about the garbage patch, but I had no idea it was that big. 10 million square miles is just unbelievalbe. People really need to start making changes because, if we don't soon, there won't be a world left to save anymore, and if the Earth goes, we go. Humanity sould really be concerned. Sometimes it feels as if it is to late to save the planet though. You hear stories on the news all the time about global warming, and pollution, and crazy weather. It becomes overwhelming and depressing to listen to. I makes me start wondering if the world may really end in 2012. Sad pale
Suga-Mama
Suga-Mama

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Great Pacific Garbage Patch Empty I just had an epiphany. I need to go to tiffanys, fendi on my slippers...

Post  calientelabios234 Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:41 am

This video and article is a real eye opener. We should care becaus if this doesnt stop soon the ocean is gonna be fill with plastic and debris! People do not understand, some people do not even know the impact of the Great Pacific Garbage patch. We should care because it could affect our food chain, in the video they said they are finding the pieces of plastic in the fishes and the birds! We eat food from the pacific ocean that means it could be in our food!!! Eventhough this is radical, they should take a few boats and sail in the area of of the gargabe patcha nd try to clean it up as much as they can and then recycle it.
calientelabios234
calientelabios234

Back to top Go down

Post  krazedxasylum Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:31 am

[quote="timmy buck buck"]When this happens our fish tend to die due to the upset in environment and the tipping of the natural balance. This affects us humans because the many seafoods we eat come from the ocean and if they are reduced in number then the price of seafood will rise. With the reduced number in fish the fish that eat other fish will die as well or migrate to other parts of the sea killing off new types of fish that they don't eat.

I liked the idea of you stating that due to the Pacific Garbage Patch, it will tip the natural balance. I also liked how you showed a way the affect of this can ultimately catch up with humans. How long do you think it would take for this unatural occurence to happen?

krazedxasylum

Back to top Go down

Post  krazedxasylum Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:34 am

[quote="penguin94"]I didnt even know that this "garbage patch" even existed until i saw the video and read the article! that shows how little we know about our environment. i think that the word should be spread out to everyone. after all, WE are causing the problem.
You mentioned how you never heard of this until you saw he video and read the articles. Thats interesting cause neither did i. Also, you are completely right about us knowning little about our environment. If we didn't know about, then i wonder how many people in the world are blind to this Pacific Garbage Patch as well.

krazedxasylum

Back to top Go down

Post  violinist13 Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:20 pm

krazedxasylum wrote:when the video showsed the turtle and the seal, with the plastic around different sections of their bodies, i then realized how serious this can affect humans. From us not recyclng, we are contaminating our food change and what goes around comes around, so this will eventually catch up to us. In the end, by contaminationg our oceans, we will be disturbing our food chain which in the end will hurt us as well.
I agree with you it is sad to see harmless animals get hurt from our trash and we are getting hurt too. This needs to stop.
violinist13
violinist13

Back to top Go down

Post  violinist13 Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:37 pm

Suga-Mama wrote:What is the world coming to? I'm truley speechless! Sometimes I just don't understand how people can be so irresponsible and cruel to thier own planet. Don't people realize that all that pollution eventually gets back into the foods we eat and is poisoning us too? The garbage patch is extreme disgusting and ridiculous. Why doesn't anybody ever talk about this. I've heard rumors about the garbage patch, but I had no idea it was that big. 10 million square miles is just unbelievalbe.
We do not hear about it because we all are supposedly to busy to sit down and watch the news from time to time and our society does not realize most things that are happening in our country.
violinist13
violinist13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next