Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

+10
snookieluvs2tan
NorthStar
smiley11
FounderofGFFandBabycat
londylou
whatitdochickado
violinist13
earthycolors
20north_star12
Admin
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World Empty 5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Post  Admin Mon May 23, 2011 10:55 am

Answer BOTH of the questions below, as they relate to A Brave New World. Make sure to reference the book, where appropriate, to support your stance.

Initial posts and response posts are due by Thursday, May 26 at midnight. This will make-up 20 points of your 4th Quarter Book Review grade.

1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.

2. How would you feel if you were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated? Is this different than in our society?

Admin
Admin

https://hancockhonorsbio.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World Empty Final discussion board post.

Post  20north_star12 Mon May 23, 2011 3:06 pm

I think that science is not dangerous. Nothing is actually dangerous. It depends on how the thing is used and by whom it is used. If science is used to cure disease, then it is good. If science is used to annhilate countries, then it is bad.

2. How would you feel if you were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated? Is this different than in our society?
I don't think that I would really care because in the book people are conditioned to love their class and not really hate other ones. They are taught that their class is the best, but other classes are better. I think that this is similar to our society in that we are of different social standing, but not in that we are taught to respect people of other social standings.

20north_star12

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World Empty Re: 5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Post  earthycolors Mon May 23, 2011 5:51 pm

1) Science isn't so dangerous to modern society right now, but it has he potential to be deadly to society in a short time. We are a curious race, so sooner or later something is bound to happen that will end badly. Scientists might wonder what the society would be like with a conditioned atmosphere, or unborn embryos tested on to see the result. That would be the start. If science were to go into the wrong hands, we could end up like the city in Brave New World where everybody is conditioned to do one thing to contribute to society and no one would have a choice to do something else. A construction worker would be a construction worker while a mathmatician would be a mathmatician. Science hasn't gotton that controlling yet, but it is in every aspect of our lives, so it can quickly become dangerous.

2)If I was an Alpha or Beta, I honestly would feel pretty good about things, but I would always be a little curious as to why other classes below me would only do the job that they were meant to do. I would wonder who decided which individual belonged to which group, then I would wonder why I am an Alpha or a Beta living the life, while Deltas, Elipsons, and Gamma's worked all their lives. There are ways that our society is like this and there are ways that our society isn't like this. I'll start off with the things in common with our society in the book. In our society, there are different groups just like Alphas, Betas, Elipsons, Deltas, and Gammas in the book. Our groups are called Wealthy Class, Middle Class, and Poor, then those in Poverty. Alphas and Beta's are on top of society just like the Wealthy class in our society. Elipsons and Deltas are the Middle Class in our society. And the Gammas are the Poor class in our society. Also, just like in the book, Wealthy class often look down on poor and middle classes, just like Alpha's and Beta's look down on the other 3 classes. Now I'll ell you how Brave New World isn't like our society. People in our society aren't conditioned to do only one thing all their life like in the book, people can move up and down the social ladder, but they can't in the book. Also, sex is in most cases a "love" thing, not a "hello" thing in our society. And we learn to live with our mistakes and to live with the bugs and the cold and the heat and the bad times and all the unpleasing things in life, not take soma or remove all the bugs from the city. We adapt, not take out what we have to adapt to like the diseases that they almost wiped clean from the city in Brave New World.
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World Empty Re: 5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Post  violinist13 Mon May 23, 2011 10:30 pm

1. Science is dangerous to modern society. Many people take our science and blow it all out of porportioned. If there were clones in our society today many people would say that this was a mistake they are just going to become slaves. And they are right most people in our society would probably use clones as slaves today instead of using them to give couples or single people a chance to have a child. To prove my point many people today took stem cell research and said its harming the baby. Well actually its not they either take the sample of DNA from a miscarraige or someone who decides to get an abortion so no matter what they are not hurting the baby. And stem cell research is for helping people. I think every body should follow the scout law. It is A Scout Is: trustworthy, loyal, helpful,friendly,curdious,kind, obedent,cheerful,brave,clean, and reverent. If our society followed this science would not be dangerous for our modern society.

2. If I was an Alpha i would feel horrible for the Beta's since they are tortured into being lower castes. I would try to help them as much as I could. If I was a Beta I would hate the Alpha's because they get to grow and learn normally to become higher castes. I would probably kill them and take a dose of soma so i feel happy again. I would also hate being stuck being a lower caste. I think it isnt different from society today because today in society there is still racism when we are all equal and all have the same rights. Different races get treated just like the Beta's some times. In The United States we have laws where you have to be born in the U.S. in order to hold a certian position. Today is no different than the Alpha's and the Beta's in the book. Maybe one day our society will stop caring for oursleves and start caring about others.
violinist13
violinist13

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World Empty SUMMER

Post  whatitdochickado Mon May 23, 2011 10:32 pm

----- I feel like it can be. Because people are using science towards all the wrong ideas, such as plastic surgery and doing stuffs to enhance yourself. some people are even trying to improve their own children before they are born. YOU ARE BORN THE WAY YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE, SO LEAVE IT AT THAT. sure it makes you look better/feel better, but are you actually thinking of the consequences when this goes wrong? why would you want to put yourself into harms way, you were made the way you are for a reason. why change that? Question Question

----- If I was an Alpha or a Beta and knew how other social groups were treated I don't know if i'd care. Because in the society in the group no emotions were connected to another person. it was all people, everybody was everyones. not one person "cared" for another as we do today in our society. But if i was able to enter the society in Brave New World and keep my way of thinking, i would try to change how the lower caste systems were treated. I feel that everyone should have to work equally. it is only fair.

whatitdochickado

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado Mon May 23, 2011 10:35 pm

violinist13 wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.

1. Science is dangerous to modern society. Many people take our science and blow it all out of porportioned. If there were clones in our society today many people would say that this was a mistake they are just going to become slaves. And they are right most people in our society would probably use clones as slaves today instead of using them to give couples or single people a chance to have a child. To prove my point many people today took stem cell research and said its harming the baby. Well actually its not they either take the sample of DNA from a miscarraige or someone who decides to get an abortion so no matter what they are not hurting the baby. And stem cell research is for helping people. I think every body should follow the scout law. It is A Scout Is: trustworthy, loyal, helpful,friendly,curdious,kind, obedent,cheerful,brave,clean, and reverent. If our society followed this science would not be dangerous for our modern society.

2. If I was an Alpha i would feel horrible for the Beta's since they are tortured into being lower castes. I would try to help them as much as I could. If I was a Beta I would hate the Alpha's because they get to grow and learn normally to become higher castes. I would probably kill them and take a dose of soma so i feel happy again. I would also hate being stuck being a lower caste. I think it isnt different from society today because today in society there is still racism when we are all equal and all have the same rights. Different races get treated just like the Beta's some times. In The United States we have laws where you have to be born in the U.S. in order to hold a certian position. Today is no different than the Alpha's and the Beta's in the book. Maybe one day our society will stop caring for oursleves and start caring about others.

I totally agree with your answer to question one. You arent hurting the child if your testing the cells, but how do you feel about people who are trying to change their already amazing child before they see how unique they already are?

and for the second one, i feel the same way, but you (hopefully) havent been in a situation like that in the book, so how would you know the difference between that and today without seeing the other (the other being the society we live in now) first.

whatitdochickado

Back to top Go down

Post  violinist13 Mon May 23, 2011 10:35 pm

earthycolors wrote:1) Science isn't so dangerous to modern society right now, but it has he potential to be deadly to society in a short time. We are a curious race, so sooner or later something is bound to happen that will end badly. Scientists might wonder what the society would be like with a conditioned atmosphere, or unborn embryos tested on to see the result.

There are ways that our society is like this and there are ways that our society isn't like this. I'll start off with the things in common with our society in the book. In our society, there are different groups just like Alphas, Betas, Elipsons, Deltas, and Gammas in the book. Our groups are called Wealthy Class, Middle Class, and Poor, then those in Poverty.

I agree that science would be deadly to our society in a short time. I thought the Betas were treated the same as the elipsons, deltas, and the gammas. I guess I must of interpited the book wrong. clown
violinist13
violinist13

Back to top Go down

Post  violinist13 Mon May 23, 2011 10:40 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:I totally agree with your answer to question one. You arent hurting the child if your testing the cells, but how do you feel about people who are trying to change their already amazing child before they see how unique they already are?

and for the second one, i feel the same way, but you (hopefully) havent been in a situation like that in the book, so how would you know the difference between that and today without seeing the other (the other being the society we live in now) first.
I think that people who do that are messing with the wrong cycle. And that when you mess with nature it comes back and messes with you. I agree with your statement to the second question
violinist13
violinist13

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World Empty SO GLAD THIS IS THE LAST DISCUSSION BOARD!

Post  londylou Mon May 23, 2011 10:45 pm

1. Yes, science is dangerous to modern society because once people get a little power, they wont want to stop. With technology improving at such a high rate, almost anything is possible now. Some scientists are already trying to find a cure for aging, next they're gonna try to bring back the dead! Its like getting a new game. At first, you're not exactly sure how to play it but as you play more and more, it gets much easier. When it gets easier, its more enjoyable and pretty soon you start to love it. When you love it, its the only thing you want to do and you continue to learn more about it and may even use cheat codes. Its only dangerous because once people figure out how to do something they want to do more and more and things get out of hand.

2. Not to sound selfish, but if I were an Alpha or Beta, I probably would care about the Deltas and Epsions, but not that much. In BNW the people are content no matter what class they are in because they've been conditioned to know that everyone is needed. I guess technically it isnt that different from our society because Im sure celebrities dont think anything about everyone else, just like I dont think anything of them.

londylou

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou Mon May 23, 2011 10:48 pm

earthycolors wrote:
1) Science isn't so dangerous to modern society right now, but it has he potential to be deadly to society in a short time. We are a curious race, so sooner or later something is bound to happen that will end badly. Scientists might wonder what the society would be like with a conditioned atmosphere, or unborn embryos tested on to see the result. That would be the start. If science were to go into the wrong hands, we could end up like the city in Brave New World where everybody is conditioned to do one thing to contribute to society and no one would have a choice to do something else. A construction worker would be a construction worker while a mathmatician would be a mathmatician. Science hasn't gotton that controlling yet, but it is in every aspect of our lives, so it can quickly become dangerous.

AGREED! Science doesnt necessarily have to be dangerous, but there are crazy people in the world that love to try things and see what happens and we could in fact end up with a crazy society like in BNW or 1984

londylou

Back to top Go down

Post  violinist13 Mon May 23, 2011 10:48 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:1. YOU ARE BORN THE WAY YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE, SO LEAVE IT AT THAT. sure it makes you look better/feel better, but are you actually thinking of the consequences when this goes wrong? why would you want to put yourself into harms way, you were made the way you are for a reason. why change that? Question Question

If I was an Alpha or a Beta and knew how other social groups were treated I don't know if i'd care. Because in the society in the group no emotions were connected to another person. it was all people, everybody was everyones. not one person "cared" for another as we do today in our society. But if i was able to enter the society in Brave New World and keep my way of thinking, i would try to change how the lower caste systems were treated. I feel that everyone should have to work equally. it is only fair.

I totaly agree with your first statement. Let nature be!!!!!!!!!!
The second statement i agree with 2 since they dont care in that society and they take soma that makes them happy so they deffinitely wouldnt care. I thought i remember the book saying the beta's were being tortured also and the alpha's were the only ones who grew naturally ? maybe i mixed up those sentences
violinist13
violinist13

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World Empty i finally didnt forget :)

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat Mon May 23, 2011 10:49 pm

Personally i believe that science is not dangerous to modern society. Without the improvements of science to our society we would still be living in the Dark Ages. Science has benifited in the improvements of medicine and techonology. If there were no advancements in medicine, the common cold could kill millions like the Black Plague. Life would basically be a hell hole with dirt and disease everywhere. It would be as if everyone is living in a trech during World War I. NO FUN.

In the terms of the text if i were an Alpha or a Beta it would not matter how the other people were treated because they are treated that way in the efforts for a better society. Now if the world just turned and categorized people into these certain kinds or groups today, i would feel pretty bad. This is because i actually have human emotion and sympathy for others when they are treated badly. Yet in the book Brave New World it is quite apparent that there is no individual thinking or emotion amongst the people, well besides on the Savage Reservation maybe. In a sort this is not different from our society. Mainly because today, we all judge by first glance and im not going to lie if i ever saw a homeless man try to come up to me i would think he would try to kill me. Why? because the first reasoning in my head is oh my god hes a druggie trying to fix his habit and he does not care who he hurts. We all look around today and think that we are better than someone else and our only effort is to one up one another when it comes to intellect, appearance, and speech. Same as how the people of the Utopia in Brave New World. Now i say in a sort because NO ONE IS EVER SATISFIED IN THE SOCIETY WE LIVE IN!!!! Every one in the book was happy with their placement and willing to work at a supereme level in order to satisfy their society. Humans now a days hate waking up for work, hate dealing with people, can never catch a break. Its as if we alll act like the world is against us.
FounderofGFFandBabycat
FounderofGFFandBabycat

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou Mon May 23, 2011 10:50 pm

violinist13 wrote:2. If I was an Alpha i would feel horrible for the Beta's since they are tortured into being lower castes. I would try to help them as much as I could. If I was a Beta I would hate the Alpha's because they get to grow and learn normally to become higher castes. I would probably kill them and take a dose of soma so i feel happy again. I would also hate being stuck being a lower caste. I think it isnt different from society today because today in society there is still racism when we are all equal and all have the same rights. Different races get treated just like the Beta's some times. In The United States we have laws where you have to be born in the U.S. in order to hold a certian position. Today is no different than the Alpha's and the Beta's in the book. Maybe one day our society will stop caring for oursleves and start caring about others.

I see where you're coming from with this opinion, but do you really think that if you'd been conditioned your entire life to think that you're better and that it is important to love your class that you'd feel bad for the lower castes?

londylou

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 Mon May 23, 2011 11:24 pm

1. Right now I don't think that science is dangerous to modern society. We are trying to develop new methods of science and not all of them are turning out or working out very well as the scienctist want them too. Possibly later on in life science may become a dangerous factor in our society, the experiments and the machinery will start working as it suppose to and we will just get better and better from that! Them that scientists won't want to stop and possibly start running tests on humans and they die from the run and that will be a huge issuse....

2. If I were an Alpha or a Beta, I wouldn't care as much for the lower castes. For one, the society in BNW is that of the people are all conditioned a certian way for each caste. Also, they don't have emotional ties with anyone so they wouldn't really cared what happened to people in their caste or in other castes.
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

Post  NorthStar Tue May 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Scientists have an obligation to make public any of their work and its technological applications, and provide an improvements on society. But when will it be too much in the Brave New world the pills given too the humans in the book provide an escape from their lives and problem. When will the improvements stop will we take it too far is our society trying to get too perfect so we wont even reconize our selfs. When will the recklackless mad science stop and people will just live they live like nature intended too live.

2. How would you feel if you were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated? Is this different than in our society? No their are plenty of people use who goin about our lives knowing that ours in lower socal class are struggling and dont even shead a tear. As long most peoples lives are not affect we could care less How another family is living? We are careless and selfish especally in the United States I guess that how humans were born to be every man for themseleves.

NorthStar
NorthStar

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors Tue May 24, 2011 2:46 pm

NorthStar wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.

Scientists have an obligation to make public any of their work and its technological applications, and provide an improvements on society. But when will it be too much in the Brave New world the pills given too the humans in the book provide an escape from their lives and problem. When will the improvements stop will we take it too far is our society trying to get too perfect so we wont even reconize our selfs. When will the recklackless mad science stop and people will just live they live like nature intended too live.

2. How would you feel if you were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated? Is this different than in our society? No their are plenty of people use who goin about our lives knowing that ours in lower socal class are struggling and dont even shead a tear. As long most peoples lives are not affect we could care less How another family is living? We are careless and selfish especally in the United States I guess that how humans were born to be every man for themseleves.

I agree with most of what you said, exept for the part when you said that BNW isn't different from our society. I believe that in our society, people can rise and fall down the social ladder while in BNW, you stay in your place for your whole life. Once you're a Gamma, you stay a gamma, ut in our society, you can start off dirt poor like R.L. Stine and end up being Famous and Rich, having fully escalated up the social ranks. But besides that, I agree with your post.

Last edited by earthycolors on Tue May 24, 2011 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : FORGOT TO WRITE A RESPONSE! lol)
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors Tue May 24, 2011 2:57 pm

20north_star12 wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.
I think that science is not dangerous. Nothing is actually dangerous. It depends on how the thing is used and by whom it is used. If science is used to cure disease, then it is good. If science is used to annhilate countries, then it is bad.

I don't think that I would really care because in the book people are conditioned to love their class and not really hate other ones. They are taught that their class is the best, but other classes are better. I think that this is similar to our society in that we are of different social standing, but not in that we are taught to respect people of other social standings.

I concur with half of your post. Science isn't good or bad, it depends on the people doing the science and using it. It can easily be turned into weapons and be used in war in the forms of Nukes or Atom bombs, or it can be transformed into the cure for cancer.
But, I don;t think it would be so good if people were conditioned before birth (i guess if you call it that since they grow in a surrogate) to be what ever they choose them to be for their whole life and they can't change what they wanna do. I mean sure they're supposed to love their class, but that doesn't always happen, and that's why there is soma. I personally think that people should be born to choose whatever job or career thay want to do in life.
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 Tue May 24, 2011 3:10 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.
----- I feel like it can be. Because people are using science towards all the wrong ideas, such as plastic surgery and doing stuffs to enhance yourself. some people are even trying to improve their own children before they are born. YOU ARE BORN THE WAY YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE, SO LEAVE IT AT THAT. sure it makes you look better/feel better, but are you actually thinking of the consequences when this goes wrong? why would you want to put yourself into harms way, you were made the way you are for a reason. why change that? Question Question

----- If I was an Alpha or a Beta and knew how other social groups were treated I don't know if i'd care. Because in the society in the group no emotions were connected to another person. it was all people, everybody was everyones. not one person "cared" for another as we do today in our society. But if i was able to enter the society in Brave New World and keep my way of thinking, i would try to change how the lower caste systems were treated. I feel that everyone should have to work equally. it is only fair.

I completey agree with you and what your saying. You are born the way that you are, your right people shouldn't change what they look like at all. People shouldn't be changing their children before they see what they are going to look like or get to see how they are going to be. I probably wouldn't care about the other castes if I were a Alpha or Beta also. They are all conditioned differently and they don't have an emotional connection wit each other, completely agree.
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World Empty blah blah blah blah

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat Tue May 24, 2011 9:56 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.
----- I feel like it can be. Because people are using science towards all the wrong ideas, such as plastic surgery and doing stuffs to enhance yourself. some people are even trying to improve their own children before they are born. YOU ARE BORN THE WAY YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE, SO LEAVE IT AT THAT. sure it makes you look better/feel better, but are you actually thinking of the consequences when this goes wrong? why would you want to put yourself into harms way, you were made the way you are for a reason. why change that?

i understand that plastic surgery is all bad in some places but not all like what if you need it to breathe better or if you have triple a cups and youre oober self concious. then where would you be.....mad ha. its understandable where you are coming from and i do respect your opinion but if you check out national geographic sometime youll know why plastic surgery is desperately needed in some cases Smile in a non mean way i know it may seem as if im maybe attacking you and thats soooooo not the case haha
FounderofGFFandBabycat
FounderofGFFandBabycat

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World Empty YO i never thought of it like that haha

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat Tue May 24, 2011 10:04 pm

violinist13 wrote: Science is dangerous to modern society. Many people take our science and blow it all out of porportioned. If there were clones in our society today many people would say that this was a mistake they are just going to become slaves. And they are right most people in our society would probably use clones as slaves today instead of using them to give couples or single people a chance to have a child. To prove my point many people today took stem cell research and said its harming the baby. Well actually its not they either take the sample of DNA from a miscarraige or someone who decides to get an abortion so no matter what they are not hurting the baby. And stem cell research is for helping people. I think every body should follow the scout law. It is A Scout Is: trustworthy, loyal, helpful,friendly,curdious,kind, obedent,cheerful,brave,clean, and reverent. If our society followed this science would not be dangerous for our modern society.

oh my gosh you have made me seem so off my game by not thinking of the question like you did. ha its amazing because i would have never seen science as anything bad because typically when you look at society you always see those cancer treatment comercials and its like oooooooo science is saving lives but i never thought of clones or stem cells or anything along those lines. you really opened up my mind haha
FounderofGFFandBabycat
FounderofGFFandBabycat

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World Empty honey got her sexy on steamin' she givin hotness a new meanin, perfection mommy you gleamin', inception you got a brother dreamin' dreamin'

Post  snookieluvs2tan Wed May 25, 2011 6:01 pm

I do believe that science is dangerous to modern society. For one, back when technology was not as advaced as it is today, there were not as many diseases as there are now. As technology furthers itself, man has the ability to create manmade diseases, and drugs. Not everything on the earth is natural, and technology is helping the demise of the earth. I believe that the smarter we become, the more we helping ourselves destroy humankind. But then again, some technology is helpful in society, like finding different techniques to aid in cancer treatment. But here's something to think about: With the earthquake in Japan, and all that jazz with the radiation levels going awry, dont you think that the Japanese wouldnt be having this problem if it wasnt for the work and technology of man. (Why do the Japanese always have problems with their radiation anyways?)

If I were an Alpha or a Beta, I would feel cheated out of a better life, or feel like something was missing for me. If I knew about how all the other social groups were living, then I would want to live a more privileged like than I already do. But then again, if I'm in the middle of the social classes, then I would realize that someone has it a lot worse than I do. It's like the saying, "More money, more problems," and Kanye's "The people highest up have the lowest self-esteem." With wealth, there comes a whole new set of problems. People want things from you constantly, and you always have to worry if people like you for who you truly are, or are jealous of you and want to keep you close so they can have what you have. This is just like our society. There are plenty of people who think that just because you go to a private school, that you're necessarily better, when in reality, you're really not. It's like the kids in Florissant who go to "Ritzy private schools" and live in FLORISSANT thinkin, that they are the shizz because they go to U Can Tan Co. on Thursdays for the Back To School Special (get outta my face). The reality is, no dude you aren't smarter/richer/cooler/fancier than me because we both work the same $7.25/hr minimum wage job, and we both take the same classes at college. People always try to keep up with the Joneses, when in fact, the joneses havent been rich for a very long time. Quit playin, cause you know that Mercedes is a LEASE ( or just used with peeling woodgrain).

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World Empty Last discussion board!

Post  animalluver Wed May 25, 2011 9:38 pm

1. Science isn't necessarily dangerous to modern society in terms of death or anything like that, but a danger to society as we know it. Look at the way science has progressed in the last 50 or so years. Life spans have increased and fertility treatments have increased the birth rates. This is dangerous to society because it will quicken the rate at which our population reaches its carrying capacity. This is bad. In addition, with positive new science and technology, there are always those that abuse it. For example, let's say for argument purposes they find a cure for cancer that can be taken as a pill capsul. There will be people that will pop this pill to get high rather than because their sick. That would be harmful to one's health.

2. It all depends on what social class you're on. For example, as an Alpha, you are taught that you are the best. It is ingrained in your mind that you are superior to the other social groups, and thus, you wouldn't see anything wrong with treatments of other groups. If you are an epsilon, you see it as unfair. However, you are also taught that this is the way things are, and you wouldn't question it. This can be applied to today's society. Americans have it good. We are selfish and indulgent. We eat the most delicious though unhealthiest foods, throw away money on stupid things, and, if you're like me, buy way too many pairs of shoes. However, African's are poor. They live on less than a dollar a day. And yet, many American's don't do a thing about it. That's how we were taught to behave. We were taught to worry only about ourselves in a capitalist society.

animalluver

Back to top Go down

Post  soccergal93 Thu May 26, 2011 12:06 am

I believe that the way many people are using science these days could be dangerous to modern society because we're starting to use what were supposed to be solutions to problems, as ways to inhance ourselves, and sometimes this causes even more problems than we had in the first place. I think this book, depending on how you look at it, shows that science can lead our modern society into A Brave New World. In my opinion, that world isn't something too much better than what we have now. There are certain aspects of the new world that could be created by science that solve some of the problems we have in today's society, creating a "perfect" world where you wouldn't know what perfect or not-perfect was. I think it's better, like we talked about in class, to have a world and live a life where there are extreme lows, and extreme highs, letting you be thankful for what you have, or have had. If we keep using science the way that we have been, we won't have worries, but at the same time we won't really know what happiness is. This is why science is dangerous to our society.

In the Brave New World, everyone was aware that there were other castes, or classes, of people that were different than they were. In our society, people can be born in a low social class, and raise themselves to become more than what they were born into, putting themselves into a higher category of social class. Since this wasn't possible in the book, I don't think you'd have any empathy for the lower classes if you were and Alpha or a Beta because you wouldn't have a clue what it's like to be there. Just like in our society, the people who are born into rich or famous families are aware of the people underneath them but don't really care at all, because they have no idea what it's like to be there. The rich people think that's just how it's supposed to be, and they don't have to deal with any of it on a day to day basis, so they couldn't care less. I'm sure in the book, there might be a select few who use their high intellect to have some sort of deeper understanding of how the others live, and maybe have a thought or two about them from time to time, but i don't believe that was enough to make them feel sorry for anyone or be thankful for what they are and the life they happened to be given. People in the book were more concerned about their reputation than others feelings, because there aren't many feelings tied to one another in the book anyway when you're not really supposed to have a constant relationship with those around you, no matter what class they're in. Either way, if you haven't had the experience of being in a lower position than you are, it's difficult to feel much empathy for anyone in that position, even if you're well aware of everything they go through that you don't.

soccergal93

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World Empty Replying to 20north_star12's post

Post  soccergal93 Thu May 26, 2011 12:16 am

20north_star12 wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.

1. I agree with you two general categories of science, some parts of science can be used for good and others can be used for 'bad', but if there are parts of science that are used for negative or bad things, like "annihilating countries", wouldn't that mean science can be dangerous at times, to our modern society?

2. I also agree with your 2nd answer, it's ironic that we're not 'taught' to respect people for their social standings, I guess that's a pro of the Brave New World. It's good that they teach each class to be proud of themselves and optimistic when looking at the lives some of the other classes have.

soccergal93

Back to top Go down

Post  soccergal93 Thu May 26, 2011 12:25 am

animalluver wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.

1. Science isn't necessarily dangerous to modern society in terms of death or anything like that, but a danger to society as we know it. Look at the way science has progressed in the last 50 or so years. Life spans have increased and fertility treatments have increased the birth rates. This is dangerous to society because it will quicken the rate at which our population reaches its carrying capacity. This is bad. In addition, with positive new science and technology, there are always those that abuse it. For example, let's say for argument purposes they find a cure for cancer that can be taken as a pill capsul. There will be people that will pop this pill to get high rather than because their sick. That would be harmful to one's health.

2. It all depends on what social class you're on. For example, as an Alpha, you are taught that you are the best. It is ingrained in your mind that you are superior to the other social groups, and thus, you wouldn't see anything wrong with treatments of other groups. If you are an epsilon, you see it as unfair. However, you are also taught that this is the way things are, and you wouldn't question it. This can be applied to today's society. Americans have it good. We are selfish and indulgent. We eat the most delicious though unhealthiest foods, throw away money on stupid things, and, if you're like me, buy way too many pairs of shoes. However, African's are poor. They live on less than a dollar a day. And yet, many American's don't do a thing about it. That's how we were taught to behave. We were taught to worry only about ourselves in a capitalist society.

I like the situations you created to express your feelings. Like to point out that we abuse some of the advances science has offered us, or could offer us, like your idea of a cure for cancer, and that can be dangerous to our modern society. In your response to the second question, I like the comparison you made between the way Americans today live and the way people in Africa might live today, to point out that there are similarities between our world and the Brave New World. When you said "that's how we're taught to behave" this is something that would made a reader who read the book understand the comparison you made on another level, the irony is in the word "taught" because the society in the book was trained almost like animals to have a certain opinion about things, but in our society, we just look upon the ones who we're raised around and base our opinions on the level of concern that we observe them having for certain matters. Good answer to both quesitons.

soccergal93

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next