Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

+14
Siillee-Differenter
soccergal93
londylou
tweetywizard
violinist13
Pr3ttyGurlRock12
snookieluvs2tan
Love_Muffins
smiley11
earthycolors
whatitdochickado
whippersnappkid
NorthStar
Admin
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy Empty 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  Admin Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:46 am

After watching Stem Cell Gold Rush at http://www.kqed.org/quest/television/view/326?gclid=CO79rKCznZcCFSEeDQodQ2wljg and investigating The National Institute of Health's website on Potential Uses of Stem Cells at http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/basics/basics6.asp select one of the following questions to answer. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. After introducing yourself to the ethical implications of stem cell research, what is your stance? Should we proceed with stem cell research? Or is utilizing this technology manipulating life? Support your stance.

2. Now that you understand some of the potential uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that using this technology will extend human life. Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain your stance.

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, January 19 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, January 21 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

https://hancockhonorsbio.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy Empty Stem Cell Research

Post  NorthStar Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:35 pm

1. After introducing yourself to the ethical implications of stem cell research, what is your stance? Should we proceed with stem cell research? Or is utilizing this technology manipulating life? Support your stance.

I think that this stem cell research is vital to the future of the world we could probably cure more than 1,000 of incurable diseases now from one of these small remarkable cells. Even though I feel that we are manipulating nature in a way it is vital to our human existence to evolve and thrive in this world. With this remarkable research we can repair hearts, lungs, brains, nerve damage anything is possible with these new practical techniques the sky’s the limit to these research.

NorthStar
NorthStar

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy Empty Answering question number 2

Post  whippersnappkid Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:51 pm

I believe it is unethical to use any embryonic stem cells for research. Scientists would be taking something that would eventually be living and manipulating it to keep another person alive. The scientist would be interfering with the life cycle which has already been interfered with so much that the world is becoming overpopulated. There's a reason those diseases are around. We shouldn't destroy a life to cure somebody else, people should die the way they were meant to after the choices they made throughout their life. What if your embryos were used for research? Does all the diseases stem cell research may cure justify the death of an innocent human?
whippersnappkid
whippersnappkid

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy Empty Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  whippersnappkid Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:58 pm

NorthStar wrote:1. After introducing yourself to the ethical implications of stem cell research, what is your stance? Should we proceed with stem cell research? Or is utilizing this technology manipulating life? Support your stance.

I think that this stem cell research is vital to the future of the world we could probably cure more than 1,000 of incurable diseases now from one of these small remarkable cells. Even though I feel that we are manipulating nature in a way it is vital to our human existence to evolve and thrive in this world. With this remarkable research we can repair hearts, lungs, brains, nerve damage anything is possible with these new practical techniques the sky’s the limit to these research.

Human existence seems to be thriving pretty well to me. Think about how you could have been offered for stem cell research. Also, think about how the people who aren't used for stem cell research may find a different cure for certain diseases during their life time.
whippersnappkid
whippersnappkid

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:10 pm

2. Now that you understand some of the potential uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that using this technology will extend human life. Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain your stance.

i think that the stem cell research is dumb. sure, you can study human cells but these are cells that could have grown and made an incredible human being. because if we study more and more cells we are curing more diseases. and by curing more diseases we are enabling our population of grow larger and our world will BE EVEN MORE POPULATED THAN EVER! No No No No No

whatitdochickado

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:53 pm

I think stem cell research should be accepted, but kept an eye on.We should only use already dead embryos, not kill living ones. It is manipulating life to a degree. It's not creating new life, but it is prolonging life if it works. All of this relates back to the population problems in some areas of the world. If this research proves to be a hit, it's gonna blast off in the world, and in places that don't need to prolong their lives. But I say again, I think it's okay for treating organ ruptures and stuff like that, but we should watch for maniacs that try to recreate life.
afro

Last edited by earthycolors on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot small details)
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:40 pm

I think that its cool to be able to use embreotic stem cells to make new tissues for the heart, brain, ect. but I don't think that its worth it to kill the innocent human being for study. The stem cells maybe usefull, but is it to the point to where we are saving everybody and not letting nature take its course? The Earth will recieve even more over population than it needs and it won't be able to balance itself out.
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy Empty STEM CELLS

Post  Love_Muffins Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:46 pm

2. Now that you understand some of the pote uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that us this technology will extend human life. Based last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell rese for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain y stance.

I don't think that using stem cells is un ethical. I think if you use it to help a men walk again or keep a baby alive there's nothing wrong with that. Many families would be happy to have something like this to keep one of their family members alive. Now I know the population is kind of big but its wrong to just let people died if they have the skills to save them.
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy Empty DAT AINT YO CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!!!

Post  Love_Muffins Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:54 pm

whippersnappkid wrote:I believe it is unethical to use any embryonic stem cells for research. Scientists would be taking something that would eventually be living and manipulating it to keep another person alive. The scientist would be interfering with the life cycle which has already been interfered with so much that the world is becoming overpopulated. There's a reason those diseases are around. We shouldn't destroy a life to cure somebody else, people should die the way they were meant to after the choices they made throughout their life. What if your embryos were used for research? Does all the diseases stem cell research may cure justify the death of an innocent human?

I think that if a person is killing their baby then we should put their bodies to good use instead of just throwing it away. JUST SAYING!!
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy Empty Mr. Chino is sleeping on me as I type this post...and Marlon Pepper is a real boy, like Pinnochio

Post  snookieluvs2tan Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:13 pm

I honestly don't think it is a good idea to try to prolong human life. It is definitely not ethical. It's kind of like trying to play God. It is manipulation of human life, and in my opinion, we as humans ourselves do not have the right to decide how long a person lives. On the other hand, I do think it can be used to save a person's life if they had some sort of life-threatening illness such as Cancer or Scabies (not sure if it's still around). It just should not be used for recreational purposes like free halloween candy or Botox gift cards from Dr. 90210. Uh, no thanks, you go ahead.
As far as the population goes, this will definitely increase the population. And then where will we be? STUCK! That's where, especially if we will reach the Earth's carrying capacity in 39 years. Mr. Chino won't stand for it. He just wont.

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

Post  Pr3ttyGurlRock12 Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:19 pm

I think scientist shouldn't use embryonic stem cells for research because its like trying to be above GOD. Its kind of saying that you approve of abortions. I totally disagree with the idea of manipulating life like people have a chose to kill unborn people. People shouldnt have the chose of that. The only person who ahould have that choice is GOD!
i think stem cells for researchfor longing life is unethical becaus eyour going to die eventually but also that its going to increase the population wayyyyyy more than people expect. They might not even be ready for the out come of it.!

Pr3ttyGurlRock12

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy Empty Stem cell research

Post  violinist13 Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Now that you understand some of the potential uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that using this technology will extend human life. Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain your stance.

I do not think its ethical because some people want to go when its their time to go and leave the Earth. I think that by prolonging life will hurt our planet even more. Nature shouldnt be messed with it turns out bad when it is messed with. The human nature is to die at a certian age and noone knows when but we dnt need use research or stem cells to live longer if we just eat right and exerise daily we can live past 90. I also think its wrong to kill off a life a baby that could of had a great life. Mad
violinist13
violinist13

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy Empty Its a No Go Captin!!

Post  tweetywizard Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:47 pm

Now that you understand some of the potential uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that using this technology will extend human life. Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain your stance.

I thinj it is unethical to try to prolong human life because doing that would just cause way more problems that we absolutely do not need. Also if we do that we will be getting in the way of what mother nature has in mind and we do not want to upset her anymore than we already have!!! I say just let people live how every long they are suppose to because either way if its your time to go, its your time to go... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

tweetywizard

Back to top Go down

Post  whippersnappkid Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:
whippersnappkid wrote:I believe it is unethical to use any embryonic stem cells for research. Scientists would be taking something that would eventually be living and manipulating it to keep another person alive. The scientist would be interfering with the life cycle which has already been interfered with so much that the world is becoming overpopulated. There's a reason those diseases are around. We shouldn't destroy a life to cure somebody else, people should die the way they were meant to after the choices they made throughout their life. What if your embryos were used for research? Does all the diseases stem cell research may cure justify the death of an innocent human?

I think that if a person is killing their baby then we should put their bodies to good use instead of just throwing it away. JUST SAYING!!

I wrote a report on stem cell research in grade school. I know you probably won't come back and read this reply because it's not for a grade, I know I wouldn't. Although, while I was writing that report I found this website and I really liked a section of it, the creator of the website relates abortions and stem cell research to other scenarios. http://www.pregnantpause.org/ethics/whystem.htm I would just like you to read the section of the website "Good out of Tragedy"
whippersnappkid
whippersnappkid

Back to top Go down

Post  whippersnappkid Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:29 pm

earthycolors wrote:But I say again, I think it's okay for treating organ ruptures and stuff like that, but we should watch for maniacs that try to recreate life.

Imagine if Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Edison, and Martin Luther King Jr.'s stem cells were given up for science. Where would we be without the Gettysburg Address, the light bulb, and Martins I have a dream speech.

Would you trade an organ for a darkroom and slavery? Just sayin. Very Happy

I think you can also throw in James Allard for the X-box Razz
whippersnappkid
whippersnappkid

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy Empty NO SCHOOL TOMORROW!!!!!

Post  londylou Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:23 am

Absolutely not! The population is already getting out of control. Using stem cell research to cure all these diseases will only make it grow more. Also, more people use up more resources. The oil will be used up much faster b/c almost every product out there has something to do with oil whether it is used directly in the product, or used in the creation of the production. Limiting factors are there for a reason: to keep everything in check, including the population. Why try to change "mother nature's" pattern? People are so quick to try and alter and change things thinking it is for the better when they dont realize it is really hurting us.

londylou

Back to top Go down

Post  soccergal93 Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:05 am

I had heard about stem cell research before viewing this information, but honestly knew nothing about it then. With what little education this information has given me, I think it's safe to say I kind of get the big picture now. With this knowledge, I would have to say I do not believe that stem cell research is all that great of an idea. I'm kind of still on the border though. It is truly amazing that people of our world today are able to do these things with science and technology, use stem cells to research for cures to the many people suffering from so many different illnesses, but I think we're going a little to far. We are all human, and I think that trying to prolong life that we've been given is like we're pretending to be more than human.. we should only try to control so much in life, and i think that the length of lives should not be something that we as humans should be able to have any power over. This is to anybody that has talked about this being "wrong because people should come and go as they are meant to be, live the life they were given to the fullest and die when it's your time, there's nothing you can do about it", so on and so forth.. have you ever thought about what it would feel like for a doctor to tell you you have cancer or some life-limiting, deadly disease? To know that your life is on a timer and once it's out you won't be able to live this life of yours anymore? Having to wake up everyday or go to bed knowing death is close and what it will be like? ...Or what if you had a child, you brought a life into this world when you're older and ready, and that you were so proud of what you'd contributed to this world and how that child is here because of you, then they had some deadly disease at a young age? Or maybe one of your closest friends or family in these situations, it being possible that they're not here with you anymore. You would want some way to stop it. And if there was a cure available, you might not say it now, but you WOULD take it. Stem cell research could change people's lives forever, but as of now, knowing i'm healthy and from what i've learned about it. I agree with the picture, "killing innocent lives to extend the lives of people already living" is wrong, it's kind of like taking a life away to fix your own, but if the embryos are going to be discarded and terminated anyway, you might as well use them for some type of research.. I guess I have a bigger problem with abortion in general, but if it's going to happen we might as well try and get something positive out of such awful negativity..

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I would have been alot more for stem-cell research if it wasn't talked about with the public.. if the government would of kept it more as a secret.. if people who had abortions weren't told "hey you can help research to get to the point where you can help living people here on earth in the future" when they're unsure of terminating a pregnancy or not, I don't think it should be talked about, or that the people should be looking at this as an excuse to make themselves feel better..
long story short, stem cell research has its pros and cons for me, if there were some changes or limitations made on how it's advertised and talked about, and how fast they went about this without thinking about the future, I would be for it. That is all:)

soccergal93

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:44 pm

whippersnappkid wrote:
earthycolors wrote:But I say again, I think it's okay for treating organ ruptures and stuff like that, but we should watch for maniacs that try to recreate life.

Imagine if Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Edison, and Martin Luther King Jr.'s stem cells were given up for science. Where would we be without the Gettysburg Address, the light bulb, and Martins I have a dream speech.

Stem cell research wasn't even thought of back then. And somebody else would've created the light bulb, and the gettysburg address, and even the x-box (though it mightve not been called that). And besides, I stated in the original post that, only already dead embryos could be used, not killing other embryos. They'd be fine if stem cell research was thought of back then. I'm not trying to 1up you or anything, sorry. lol.
afro
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy Empty NEW LOOK

Post  earthycolors Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:52 pm

You know what. My previous post was not my final decision. I'm changing my outlook on this. I've been thinking alot about this lately and now I think that stem cell research should not be continued for any reason. People need to die. It's all part of the circle of life. This stem cell research is beginning to be too much. We can't play God and try to cure every single disease out there. And this would be promoting abortions (but only in dumb*sses). Yes, this is munipulating life... alot! I was probably not thinking straight wen i typed the first post... To make a long story short, No, its a bad idea to go with this.

afro afro
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:56 pm

londylou wrote:Now that you understand some of the potential uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that using this technology will extend human life. Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain your stance.

Absolutely not! The population is already getting out of control. Using stem cell research to cure all these diseases will only make it grow more. Also, more people use up more resources. The oil will be used up much faster b/c almost every product out there has something to do with oil whether it is used directly in the product, or used in the creation of the production. Limiting factors are there for a reason: to keep everything in check, including the population. Why try to change "mother nature's" pattern? People are so quick to try and alter and change things thinking it is for the better when they dont realize it is really hurting us.

I completely agree with you londy lou! This is not a good idea at all. Nor the smartest. We can't just cure every disease on the planet, we'll end up killing ourselves because there are too many of us anyway. For the smartest animals on the planet, the people representing us aren't so smart are they? lol. And the oil problem too! We'll run out much faster this way.
afro
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:57 pm

earthycolors wrote:
whippersnappkid wrote:

Stem cell research wasn't even thought of back then. And somebody else would've created the light bulb, and the gettysburg address, and even the x-box (though it mightve not been called that). And besides, I stated in the original post that, only already dead embryos could be used, not killing other embryos. They'd be fine if stem cell research was thought of back then. I'm not trying to 1up you or anything, sorry. lol.
afro

Actually, I've just changed my entire look on this. And I, too, think this is a bad idea.
afro
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:00 pm

NorthStar wrote:1. After introducing yourself to the ethical implications of stem cell research, what is your stance? Should we proceed with stem cell research? Or is utilizing this technology manipulating life? Support your stance.

You have a good idea of this, but don't you think some areas of the world don't really need this new discovery. If this becomes a hit, you know that one of the first countries to study it and make it legal are the overpopulated countries like China, India, and Japan. This, to me, is not a good idea.
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy Empty Stem Cells

Post  Siillee-Differenter Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:35 am

I don't think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical. This is because with the resources shortages we are having prolonging human life shouldn't be a main factor. Once we figure out figure out a way to make our resources steady or have more then enough then maybe we could focus on prolonging human life. I really don't have an issue with stem cell research but right now isn't the time.

Siillee-Differenter

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:29 pm

Siillee-Differenter wrote:2. Now that you understand some of the potential uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that using this technology will extend human life. Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain your stance.

I don't think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical. This is because with the resources shortages we are having prolonging human life shouldn't be a main factor. Once we figure out figure out a way to make our resources steady or have more then enough then maybe we could focus on prolonging human life. I really don't have an issue with stem cell research but right now isn't the time.

I agree with you. There is just so much more things that we should be forcusing on then prolongling human life. The one thing that is a big issue besides this is the oil problem we have and we should be kind of more focused on that. This could be more of a major factor later but right now, I really don't think that it is either.
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:48 pm

earthycolors wrote:1. After introducing yourself to the ethical implications of stem cell research, what is your stance? Should we proceed with stem cell research? Or is utilizing this technology manipulating life? Support your stance.

You know what. My previous post was not my final decision. I'm changing my outlook on this. I've been thinking alot about this lately and now I think that stem cell research should not be continued for any reason. People need to die. It's all part of the circle of life. This stem cell research is beginning to be too much. We can't play God and try to cure every single disease out there. And this would be promoting abortions (but only in dumb*sses). Yes, this is munipulating life... alot! I was probably not thinking straight wen i typed the first post... To make a long story short, No, its a bad idea to go with this.

afro afro

I agree. What will happen if we don't let nature do what it was supoose to do? We will have way too many people that we can't take care of at all. And that can become an issuse...
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next