Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

+9
tw33tybirdn3rd
gamerdude94
calientelabios234
Flipper
Yofeetstink
Suga-Mama
krazedxasylum
aMAIZEing94
Admin
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy - Page 2 Empty Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  krazedxasylum Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:32 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:I think it is ethical to use stem cells to prolong life. However I only agree with using early embryonic stem cells because those have not become a fetus yet. I think that stem cells could be used as a tool and could probably increase the average life span as much as antibiotics did. Stem cells could genuinely help many issues and save countless lives while harming no one.

I like that you say you can only use the early embryonic cells, what what about the over-population that may occur as a result to the pro-longing of life. This could result in the death of many people as a result of over-population. this could, instead of pro-longing life, ultimately back-firing and leading to the death of the human species!

krazedxasylum

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy - Page 2 Empty Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  krazedxasylum Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:37 pm

calientelabios234 wrote: Growing up in a conservative home for some reason I always tend to be in the middle. Personally I am not for stem cell research. I do not think its right for a human embryo to be taken to be experimented on. I think we should stick to what is best and I am pretty sure that there is something that is natural and does not involve taken embryos. Also if stem cell research continues and it makes the birth rate increase and then that would push us to the Earth's carrying capacity even faster, which also means that resources would be scarce. And I do not want to live through that so I think we should leave this stem cell stuff alone Smile

I like how you said there is possibly a more natural way. I believe personally that after they realized that stem cell research worked, they stopped looking for ways to do such things.

krazedxasylum

Back to top Go down

Post  calientelabios234 Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:11 am

iluvowls wrote:Based on the fact that the world is overpopulated, I still find it ethical to keep stem cells in order to cure cancer or other health problems because those people are already alive. Overpolulation is another subject because that is all about deciding whether they want a child or not. I definitely think keeping stem cells I a good idea. If a small is dying of cancer and a cure can be found for it through research, that child should be able live their life.

I totally agree that people have the right to live especially children who have not had the chance to live their lives. But at the same time is it okay to take an early form of human life to to prolong another human life? I personally do not think it is right.
calientelabios234
calientelabios234

Back to top Go down

Post  calientelabios234 Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:29 am

penguin94 wrote:
Admin wrote:
2. Now that you understand some of the potential uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that using this technology will extend human life. Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain your stance.

This issue is a very "touchy" one and forgive me if I offend some who may read this entry, but I believe that stem cell research is unethical. The human population is growing at a vastly overwhelming rate and I do not believe that it is right to prolong human life more than it is necessary. There are not nearly enough resources and some countries, namely the U.S., have exceedingly overused these resources. I am sure that we could find other ways to prolong human life and cure diseases. Also, God gives us a time to live, and a time to die and he will take us from this world when we have done that which he knows is enough. Stem Cell research is, for me, not an option. I dislike the knowledge that people would continue to suffer without the research, but I am confident in my beliefs. God put us on this Earth for a purpose and those weaknesses and disabilities that we have will be for the better and will help us fulfill that purpose. When I say this, I think of all of the wonderful people who have disabilities. Who in this world has not been touched by those who we have watched struggle to survive in their terrible condidtions? These people inspire me and make me realize that my life could be more difficult and makes me appreciate that which I have. It also makes me love them and want to do everything I possibly can to help them, even if it is a small thing.

Also, some people say that when you use stem cells from a pre-fetus stage organism, it is not harming a human baby. I say that it is the parent's choice whether or not to allow that, but I do believe that by taking those cells and killing the organism in the process, you are denying a spirit child of God to have the possibility of a life. Although this world is imperfect and has many terrible trials, each and every child of God deserves to have a chance to experience life and learn and prove themselves worthy to return to God's presence when they die.
Again, forgive me if I am offensive, but we all have a purpose. Yet, it is your decision.

I understand everything you said. Personally I do not think what you said is offensive. It's what you believe and God gave everyone the right to believe anything you like:).

calientelabios234
calientelabios234

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvowls Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:59 am

krazedxasylum wrote:Where i stand on the use of stem cell research is that it is not ethical at all. Stem cell research is used in effect to try and prolong death. this to me is non-ethical. birth and death, the processes in life,are natural and are underwent by all things. By trying to ultimately have people live longer, their will be a major increase in the life expectancy, which in turn will lead to many environmental issues such as reaching the carrying and cultural capacities much quicker. Also, since embryonic stem cells can form into various types of cells, these are the best too use, but, they must come from something. In all, i believe that stem cell research is not ethical as it goes against the natural processes in life.

I diagree with you that it is unethical. Stem cell research is not just used to let people live super long lives. It is used to help cure people of birth defects and diseases. I guarantee that anyone who even disagrees with stem cell research would want to be able to save their child of a birth defect by using any way possible even if the only way was by using stem cells.

iluvowls

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvowls Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:05 am

Hollywood wrote:I'm not entirely sure where I stand on stem cell research... I think that using it would contrast with Mother nature and way of life but it can also save people with cancer. I am a personal victim of losing someone close to me who had cancer and I would have wanted to do anything to save them. So I'm not entirely sure... :/

I can understand that you would have contrasting feelings about stem cell research. I personally find pros and cons to it. In one way it can stop another persons life to save another but in other ways it can only help people to be able to stay alive.

iluvowls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2