Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - Jennie Finch

+12
londylou
soccergal93
20north_star12
MiszCheesekake41
animalluver
snookieluvs2tan
violinist13
whippersnappkid
NorthStar
earthycolors
smiley11
Pr3ttyGurlRock12
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

5th Hour - Jennie Finch - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour - Jennie Finch

Post  shopaholic94 Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:03 am

Tittle:The effect of different amount of water in plants height
IV: different amount of water
DV: plats height
2 controlled variables: type of water used, time of day when the plants are watered
Sources of error : the temperature is too high and some water evaporates, using a smaller container for one of the plants making it difficult to grow.
Hypothesis: if the amount of water increases then the plants height increases
I guess this is what we had to do for today

shopaholic94

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Jennie Finch - Page 2 Empty hmmm....interesting

Post  GummyBearLove Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:35 pm

The Effect of the type of ball has on percent of accurate hits
IV: Type of ball..baseball or softball
DV: Accuracy in hitting the ball
Hypothesis: If the type of ball changes then the accuracy in hitting the ball will change
Constants:Same person pitching the ball, Skill level of the hitter.
Sources of error: High number of pitches(whether the pitcher was fatigued or not), Different type of bat

I found the science part of it all interesting. Only because when you play a sport you dont necessairly think about the science of it all. From the muscles being used together and the angles in which something (i.e the ball) is being hit. I think this relates to science when you break it down because without the muscles in your body you wouldnt be able to techincially do anything in a sport.
I also loved the article on the different parts of a skateboards and stuff. Im not a big skateboard person but it seemed like it would be a chance to learn something new and i did. The whole thing about a skateboard deck being made of maple is awesome!!
Very Happy

GummyBearLove

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:36 pm

biologyBROTHERHOOD wrote:
animalluver wrote:Watch FSN's Sport Science episode on Jennie Finch, where science is used to answer the question, "Which is more difficult to hit - a fast-pitched baseball or softball?" The video can be watched on You-Tube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de3HJvO-N8&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1 In addition to watching the video, visit the Sports Science Exploratorium at http://www.exploratorium.edu/explore/staff_picks/sports_science/

In your posting, be sure to:
1. Identify the IV, DV, hypothesis, 2 constants, and 2 possible sources of error for the experiment. In addition, suggest a title for the experiment.
2. Discuss something you found interesting at the Sports Science Exploratorium. Share it with your classmates, being sure to explain how it pertains to science.

IV: type of ball and speed of ball.
DV: difficulty of hitting
Constants: Jenny Finch (person throwing ball) brand of ball, distance to throw ball.
Errors:
1.Two IV's are tested.
2. Distance changes.

I guess u r right , they first tested the force and speed and then later they tested the reaction time. They used these two sources to find which is harder to hit. it's little bit confusing cos they used two variable(basses ball n softball) to find the first IV(force n speed)
scratch scratch

Yeah, I was wondering about the two IVS as well. The two different balls and pitching styles/stances really make the experiment seem a little faulty. Im not sure how they came to their conclusions given the fact that they did one experiment with the two independent variables.

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:38 pm

shopaholic94 wrote:Tittle:The effect of different amount of water in plants height
IV: different amount of water
DV: plats height
2 controlled variables: type of water used, time of day when the plants are watered
Sources of error : the temperature is too high and some water evaporates, using a smaller container for one of the plants making it difficult to grow.
Hypothesis: if the amount of water increases then the plants height increases
I guess this is what we had to do for today

Hancock wanted you to watch the jennie finch video and answer the questions at the top. Im guessing you're new to the discussion board...?

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

Post  Pr3ttyGurlRock12 Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:58 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:In your posting, be sure to:
1. Identify the IV, DV, hypothesis, 2 constants, and 2 possible sources of error for the experiment. In addition, suggest a title for the experiment.
2. Discuss something you found interesting at the Sports Science Exploratorium. Share it with your classmates, being sure to explain how it pertains to science.

IV- speed and type of ball
DV-which is harder to hit
Constants- person hitting the ball, person throwing the ball (Jennie Finch, and the other guy)
Sources of error- Jennie Finch standing closer to the hitter than the baseball guy. (Even though that's how you play baseball, it still didnt seem right)
Title- Effect of ball type on batting difficulty

2. At the Sports Science Exploratorium, I did not look at sports, but I did look at Science, and found my age on different planets...and I won't live to see my first birthday!

On PLuto: I am 944.3 Plutonian days, and 0.069 Plutonian years, and my next birthday is on Tuesday, March 29, 2242!

This pertains to science because I am showing how different planets that are farther away from the sun, have long revolutions that Earth's 365 days.

i dont think the speed and type of ball could both be the iv.

Pr3ttyGurlRock12

Back to top Go down

Post  Pr3ttyGurlRock12 Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:07 pm

GummyBearLove wrote:The Effect of the type of ball has on percent of accurate hits
IV: Type of ball..baseball or softball
DV: Accuracy in hitting the ball
Hypothesis: If the type of ball changes then the accuracy in hitting the ball will change
Constants:Same person pitching the ball, Skill level of the hitter.
Sources of error: High number of pitches(whether the pitcher was fatigued or not), Different type of bat

I found the science part of it all interesting. Only because when you play a sport you dont necessairly think about the science of it all. From the muscles being used together and the angles in which something (i.e the ball) is being hit. I think this relates to science when you break it down because without the muscles in your body you wouldnt be able to techincially do anything in a sport.
I also loved the article on the different parts of a skateboards and stuff. Im not a big skateboard person but it seemed like it would be a chance to learn something new and i did. The whole thing about a skateboard deck being made of maple is awesome!!
Very Happy
i liked the facts of how the skateboards were made of also. im not a skateboard fan but that was interesting that skateboard had science to.

Pr3ttyGurlRock12

Back to top Go down

Post  Siillee-Differenter Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:44 am

Pr3ttyGurlRock12 wrote:
2 CONSTANTS-the person throwing the ball, and same are throwing it

I agree with all of the information you provided and I was also suprised that skateboards had sugar in it. Aren't your 2 constansts the same thing though? You couldve added the same gender or the same height.

Siillee-Differenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Siillee-Differenter Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:51 am

londylou wrote:Constants: Type of bat, athletic ability of person receiving ball

Part Two: I found it interesting that in the 1870s women played in an outfit that weighed as much as 30 pounds and included a floor-length skirt, underskirts, a long-sleeved, high-necked blouse, and high button shoes.
I didnt think about the athletic ability of a person recieving the ball to be a constant, but it was a good one. The hitter should have just about the same amount of skill as the person pitching so that the level is even. That uniform the women played in sound pretty HIDEOUS ! pale

Siillee-Differenter

Back to top Go down

Post  shopaholic94 Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:52 am

IV: pitching
DV: difficulty of hitting the pitch
Hypothesis: if the pitching style changes then the difficulty of hitting the pich will increase
2 Constants: pitching style, same pepople for the pitching
2 Sources of error: didn't pitch at the same time, how many pitches each threw...
Title: The effect of the pitching style will effect the the difficulty of hitting the pitch

shopaholic94

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2