Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - Voices of Concern

+8
Communistkid
MiszCheesekake41
londylou
smiley11
20north_star12
whatitdochickado
earthycolors
Admin
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

5th Hour - Voices of Concern Empty 5th Hour - Voices of Concern

Post  Admin Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:34 am

After reading Lester Brown's Voices of Concern, reflect on the interview and select one of the following questions to answer. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. It is estimated that by 2050, the Earth will have almost 9 billion people. It currently has 6.7 billion people. Do you think the Earth can support 9 billion people? What does Lester Brown think? When will the world reach its carrying capacity & how will we know when we have reached it?

2. Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, December 1 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, December 3 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

https://hancockhonorsbio.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Voices of Concern Empty Smiley dog tries another persuasive speech.

Post  earthycolors Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:57 pm

Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

Although using technology would prolong the lives of people while curing diseases and creating more food, interfering with mother nature will only make matters worse. With more people in the world and the population increasing every year, no matter how advanced our technology is, the world will still eventually end up being as crowded as China. I say we help people to some degree with sickness and help feed starving people in other places, but as far as curing diseases like HIV/AIDS and sicknesses like Influenza and Malaria; I know this sounds cruel and cold hearted, but let the sicknesses stay. The world has a carrying capacity, and we don't know if we've reached it, or we're still climbing; but I don't wanna be here when the whole world suddenly comes to a screeching halt when the limit on food and space wipes entire countries off the face of the earth. We only have the technology to increase the carrying capacity of the Earth, not increase the size of the Earth. Mabye the people in their lab coats and political attitudes can realize that while they're ongoing their speech to save the world.
afro
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Voices of Concern Empty dum dumdumdum dum dum dum dum! [ i bet you have no idea what im humming!] [:

Post  whatitdochickado Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:24 pm

Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

no we should NOT use technology to extend the carrying capacity of Earth. Mother is doing a darn good job. She never let the population get too terribly dreadful before our time. She should keep it up. Now on the other hand, idiots should stop having kids, let the smart people have kids so that we will all know how to take care of the world. after all we don't wanna be sitting on each others laps just cause there is no room left in america. we should be different, don't follow the big population vs. small living space fad {even though its not really a fad, i just wanted to say fad} cause yo, it ain't rad! elephant

whatitdochickado

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Voices of Concern Empty A Growing Population is the New Sensation...randomness.

Post  20north_star12 Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:17 am

2. Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

Evil or Very Mad Absolutely not. Humans have been obsessed with the idea of immortality since the beginning of time, but the truth is that it just is not possible. There is no reason for us to further intricate technology and thus allow humans to exceed their natural years. Death is a part of life and a part of Earth's natural cycle. This Earth does not belong to us; it can not belong to us. We need to allow it to do as it pleases and discipline mankind as it chooses. Food grown with technology cannot be all that healthy. This is already getting us into some problems with food because the food is getting more unprocessed and what not. The only thing I would be acceptable to would be that we could advance technology to cure disease because this would help ease suffering and pain. I suppose this would be a more humane ethic, but life shouldn't be all about pain and suffering; humans cause enough to each other without disease adding on. I would have clarified more between the morals and ethics on this, but I think that they are mixed together for me.

20north_star12

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Voices of Concern Empty Re: 5th Hour - Voices of Concern

Post  earthycolors Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:00 am

whatitdochickado wrote:Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

no we should NOT use technology to extend the carrying capacity of Earth. Mother is doing a darn good job. She never let the population get too terribly dreadful before our time. She should keep it up. Now on the other hand, idiots should stop having kids, let the smart people have kids so that we will all know how to take care of the world. after all we don't wanna be sitting on each others laps just cause there is no room left in america. we should be different, don't follow the big population vs. small living space fad {even though its not really a fad, i just wanted to say fad} cause yo, it ain't rad! elephant

Is it the nutcracker that you're humming? Also, I agree with you one hundred percent. All these dumb people and people that have no business having kids are having more kids than the educated, good people. And I also think we shouldn't just cure every disease out there just to save lives. Because we will upset the delicate balance that mother nature has ever so gently set in place. And I, as well as alot of other people, don't want the world to be thrown off even further by us mere animals with extra smartness. So yeah, I agree with you.
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:08 am

20north_star12 wrote:2. Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

Evil or Very Mad Absolutely not. Humans have been obsessed with the idea of immortality since the beginning of time, but the truth is that it just is not possible. There is no reason for us to further intricate technology and thus allow humans to exceed their natural years. Death is a part of life and a part of Earth's natural cycle. This Earth does not belong to us; it can not belong to us. We need to allow it to do as it pleases and discipline mankind as it chooses. Food grown with technology cannot be all that healthy. This is already getting us into some problems with food because the food is getting more unprocessed and what not. The only thing I would be acceptable to would be that we could advance technology to cure disease because this would help ease suffering and pain. I suppose this would be a more humane ethic, but life shouldn't be all about pain and suffering; humans cause enough to each other without disease adding on. I would have clarified more between the morals and ethics on this, but I think that they are mixed together for me.

You stated your reasons perfectly, and I couldn't agree much more with what you typed. People always are looking for ways to stay young, look young, act young; while in reality, people are going to die. It happens. And us trying to improve technology to add on extra years to us while lowering the death rate in the world while the birthrate still rapidly increases out of control is just not moral or ethical. And yes manmade food is lacking in vitamins and minerals needed to live. But more food is getting PROCESSED (not un processed), and that can't be good for us. The people in this world are already living far beyond their years with our current technology, adding on the that will be kinda dumb. What are you gonna do in your 100's. Sit around and knit all day?
earthycolors
earthycolors

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:42 pm

I think that we should just let mother nature take its course to decrease the world's population problem. With tecnology sure we can cure the sick and make more food but that's not going to do anything with the living space if we don't have the space in the first place. This sounds bad, but the people with diseases should just die and end their suffering all together instead of having them live the rest of their lives out in pain. Also, tecnology can't always be trusted because it alway malfunctions and breaks down.
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Voices of Concern Empty MY EX JUST MADE ME MAD!!!!

Post  londylou Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:54 pm

No we should not. I dont understand how adding more food to the world and enabling people to live longer can extend the carrying capacity. That doesnt do anything for the amount of living space available. And wouldnt more people mean less oil? Less renewable resources? More global warming? Why add to the current problems at hand? "Mother Nature" does what she does for a reason and I dont know why people feel the need to change it. And what if a mysterious virus breaks out and causes a pandemic? Or if a zombie apocolypse happens? It would simply spread throughout the entire world much quickly with all the extra people around. That is all =)

-LondyLou

londylou

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:03 pm

I don't think we should use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the earth. I feel that doing that means spending alot of time and money trying to find ways to do this. People spend their lives worrying over this and don't get any enjoyment. Then even if we increase the carrying capacity eventually we will reach the new carrying capacity and want to increase it more. People aren't meant to live forever and are just going to have to accept it. Obviously people are supposed to die if more and more things keep happening in attempt to balance out the population. I know its horrible that people will have to lose lives(no one lives forever so deal with it) but whats the point in trying to increase things if life isn't as enjoyable.Either way it goes if we increase the earth's carrying capacity we will always run into more problems and issues. alien Basketball cheers

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:09 pm

earthycolors wrote:Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

Although using technology would prolong the lives of people while curing diseases and creating more food, interfering with mother nature will only make matters worse. With more people in the world and the population increasing every year, no matter how advanced our technology is, the world will still eventually end up being as crowded as China. I say we help people to some degree with sickness and help feed starving people in other places, but as far as curing diseases like HIV/AIDS and sicknesses like Influenza and Malaria; I know this sounds cruel and cold hearted, but let the sicknesses stay. The world has a carrying capacity, and we don't know if we've reached it, or we're still climbing; but I don't wanna be here when the whole world suddenly comes to a screeching halt when the limit on food and space wipes entire countries off the face of the earth. We only have the technology to increase the carrying capacity of the Earth, not increase the size of the Earth. Mabye the people in their lab coats and political attitudes can realize that while they're ongoing their speech to save the world.
afro

That is so true ! I wonder why they don't realize that only population will increase not the earth's size. The end of the world will happen eventually or at least everyone will die at some point so as long as I live my life I don't care what happens. I mean I'm not saying i won't do things to help the world but im not going to spend my life worrying over if there will be enough space in the world for people in the future.

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:13 pm

londylou wrote:Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

No we should not. I dont understand how adding more food to the world and enabling people to live longer can extend the carrying capacity. That doesnt do anything for the amount of living space available. And wouldnt more people mean less oil? Less renewable resources? More global warming? Why add to the current problems at hand? "Mother Nature" does what she does for a reason and I dont know why people feel the need to change it. And what if a mysterious virus breaks out and causes a pandemic? Or if a zombie apocolypse happens? It would simply spread throughout the entire world much quickly with all the extra people around. That is all =)

Hey thats a good point. If theres a virus that breaks out and it spreads throuhout this increased population , everyone will end up dying anyway, So mother nature should be left alone and people need to let her do her thing. Razz
-LondyLou

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:01 pm

I believe we should use a combination of law and tech to solve this crisis. Limit the amount of kids an unintelligent person can have to 1, and (to only but the smartest) limit it to 5 for others. Offenders should be neutered. Tech should be continued to increase the capacity of the earth. Thanks to the before mentioned law we would easily have the bright minds to continue increasing it. Is there anyone idiotic enough to say MOTHER NATURE should take care of this? If so please be the next peson to dumbly try to stand out a hurricane. Yeah I said it, people who stay in an area that is going to be hit by a spiral of pure choatic water and wind should not be allowed to reproduce.

Survival of the intelligent.
Communistkid
Communistkid

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:06 pm

MiszCheesekake41 wrote:
londylou wrote:Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

Hey thats a good point. If theres a virus that breaks out and it spreads throuhout this increased population , everyone will end up dying anyway, So mother nature should be left alone and people need to let her do her thing. Razz
-LondyLou

So i shouldn't stany inside when theres a tornado? or hail? or snow? The point of renewable resources is that they can be forever farmed, you just need to have correct procedures. We no longer truly need oil. More food would allow for more people actually. There has never been a pandemic. Reanimated corpses that, for some odd reason, crave flesh? Besides the fact that dead brains equal absolutely no body movement.
Communistkid
Communistkid

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:15 pm

MiszCheesekake41 wrote:2. Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

I don't think we should use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the earth. I feel that doing that means spending alot of time and money trying to find ways to do this. People spend their lives worrying over this and don't get any enjoyment. Then even if we increase the carrying capacity eventually we will reach the new carrying capacity and want to increase it more. People aren't meant to live forever and are just going to have to accept it. Obviously people are supposed to die if more and more things keep happening in attempt to balance out the population. I know its horrible that people will have to lose lives(no one lives forever so deal with it) but whats the point in trying to increase things if life isn't as enjoyable.Either way it goes if we increase the earth's carrying capacity we will always run into more problems and issues. alien Basketball cheers

I can make an oil rig on the ocean. I can live on said ocean oil rig. I don't take oil out of the ground so i just have a huge platform i can live on. On the OCEAN, the same OCEAN which is 70.9% of the freaking earth that, before i built an oil rig, was uninhabitable. People will never live for ever and most pretty much accept this (well except for people who for some reason you go to a place after you die but i suspect even they know deep inside that is BS.) but i, like you should know, other planets are inhabitable too. It isn't hardcore that you think people should die of disease, it's just dumb.
Communistkid
Communistkid

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Voices of Concern Empty Mr. Chino is outside barking like no other...

Post  snookieluvs2tan Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:39 pm

We should not use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth. I believe that the planet knows what its doing, and use man made technology to try to "outsmart" it will only make matters worse. As the oceans are rising, and the atmosphere is warming, the planet is not worried what will eventually happen to human existence, WE are. The planet will naturally sort itself out, because maybe the Earth is nearing the end of its first cycle of mother nature, and we are just catching on to it. It kind of reminds me of Daoism and the Dao. Everything goes back to where it began, because of the Dao, and everything has a natural beginning and end.

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

Post  whippersnappkid Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:17 am

No, we shouldn't use use technology to expand earth Earth's carrying capacity. Mother Nature can take care of her self better than we can. Mother nature has a perfect cycle of life and death that plays out perfectly with everything else. I don't think we know enough about the Earth's carrying capacity to be trying to extend it, we're supposedly already nearing the carrying capacity. Even the extension technology adds to the capacity will have a limit, and if we reach that limit there will be catastrophe. If we found a way to keep people alive for double the average life span, everyone would be meeting there great great grand children. Earth would be under such a huge strain to take care of that many people that there wouldn't be a such thing as mother nature, there would be no other chose then to take of the earth with technology. I think we should just let earth take care of us and respect it by not wasting recourses. We need this planet to survive, it could go on without us, we shouldn't try to change things.
whippersnappkid
whippersnappkid

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Voices of Concern Empty So im just really tired right now :/

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:25 am

No I do not think that we should use technology to grow more food for the betterment of people and diseases. It is like leaving food out for the roaches to eat because you feel bad when one of the gets stepped on, eventually the house would be filled with so many roaches that it would be impossible not to step on one of them ( i hoped that sounded Africany enough for ya). I think that we should let mother nature take its course because that is its job TO TAKE CARE OF NATURE and as humans we are a part of nature. Morally it may seem wrong for some to be like aw man we're letting innocent people die yet there is no one stopping the big lady in the line saying well mam you know all these burgers are killing you and you are innocent and you do not deserve it. Also, no one can save the whole world not even if we (and im using that term loosely) all tried to ban together...because theres always the negative nancys and the darryl downers
FounderofGFFandBabycat
FounderofGFFandBabycat

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Voices of Concern Empty REALLY

Post  Love_Muffins Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:55 am

I think we should use our technology to expand the earth's carrying capacity. It's stupid that we use our t3chnology to make BMW and tiny cell phones but we can't put ut to good use and make the world safer for people who has nothing to do with the resources depleting. It's not a problem when we use our knowledge to make stupid stuff but when its something that's going to save peoples we don't see everyday it's a big problem. If your human you will understand where I'm try to go with thing.
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:13 pm

-LondyLou

I totally agree with you! Tecnology will just increase the life span of some people that, this is really mean but don't deserve to live like all the low life people who don't do anything to keep the earth clean. Yes, mother earth is doing a really good darn job of balancing out the world on her own :]
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:56 pm

earthycolors wrote:
whatitdochickado wrote:Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

Is it the nutcracker that you're humming? Also, I agree with you one hundred percent. All these dumb people and people that have no business having kids are having more kids than the educated, good people. And I also think we shouldn't just cure every disease out there just to save lives. Because we will upset the delicate balance that mother nature has ever so gently set in place. And I, as well as alot of other people, don't want the world to be thrown off even further by us mere animals with extra smartness. So yeah, I agree with you.

AWESOME! and no not the nutcracker... i forgot what i was humming... hmmm.

whatitdochickado

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:57 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:2. Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

We should not use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth. I believe that the planet knows what its doing, and use man made technology to try to "outsmart" it will only make matters worse. As the oceans are rising, and the atmosphere is warming, the planet is not worried what will eventually happen to human existence, WE are. The planet will naturally sort itself out, because maybe the Earth is nearing the end of its first cycle of mother nature, and we are just catching on to it. It kind of reminds me of Daoism and the Dao. Everything goes back to where it began, because of the Dao, and everything has a natural beginning and end.

i totally agree with you! and nice quote.

whatitdochickado

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:29 pm

[quote="whatitdochickado"]
snookieluvs2tan wrote:2. Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

I totally agree with you! We are the ones worried about what is going to happen in the future, not the Earth.
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:28 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:2. Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

No I do not think that we should use technology to grow more food for the betterment of people and diseases. It is like leaving food out for the roaches to eat because you feel bad when one of the gets stepped on, eventually the house would be filled with so many roaches that it would be impossible not to step on one of them ( i hoped that sounded Africany enough for ya). I think that we should let mother nature take its course because that is its job TO TAKE CARE OF NATURE and as humans we are a part of nature. Morally it may seem wrong for some to be like aw man we're letting innocent people die yet there is no one stopping the big lady in the line saying well mam you know all these burgers are killing you and you are innocent and you do not deserve it. Also, no one can save the whole world not even if we (and im using that term loosely) all tried to ban together...because theres always the negative nancys and the darryl downers

this has got to be the funniest post ever! I agree with the roach and fast food comparisons...I really like that!

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:30 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:

I think we should use our technology to expand the earth's carrying capacity. It's stupid that we use our t3chnology to make BMW and tiny cell phones but we can't put ut to good use and make the world safer for people who has nothing to do with the resources depleting. It's not a problem when we use our knowledge to make stupid stuff but when its something that's going to save peoples we don't see everyday it's a big problem. If your human you will understand where I'm try to go with thing.

I like how you discussed the "using our knowledge to make stupid stuff" very funny. And I agree.

snookieluvs2tan

Back to top Go down

Post  Love_Muffins Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:07 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:no we should NOT use technology to extend the carrying capacity of Earth. Mother is doing a darn good job. She never let the population get too terribly dreadful before our time. She should keep it up. Now on the other hand, idiots should stop having kids, let the smart people have kids so that we will all know how to take care of the world. after all we don't wanna be sitting on each others laps just cause there is no room left in america. we should be different, don't follow the big population vs. small living space fad {even though its not really a fad, i just wanted to say fad} cause yo, it ain't rad! elephant

Well i think it's dumb to use technology to follow tha car and cell phone fad.
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next