Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos

+9
20north_star12
animalluver
GummyBearLove
londylou
snookieluvs2tan
whatitdochickado
earthycolors
smiley11
Admin
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos

Post  GummyBearLove Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:11 am

londylou wrote:In your opinion, which of the following is more important:
A. protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may
not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands

Protecting the endangered & threatened species from extinction is waaaaay more important than protecting the rights of individuals to visit and learn about the wildlife. So what if someone cant take a vacation to the Galapagos?! There are THOUSANDS of other vacation spots. Stopping the potential extinction of threatened species is a little bit more meaningful than someone's momentary happiness.

i agree with you. i believe that humans sometimes could take opportunities that we have and take them to the max. They just want to do what will satisfy them for a week or two, but what happens to animals in that one or two week span? its easy for humans to just say "hey, lets go on vacation..." too bad animals cant do that. when you have so many people vacationing, the ecosystem of the animals gets disturbed.

GummyBearLove

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - Humans Threaten Galapagos

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:52 pm

1. In your opinion, which of the following is more important:
A. protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may
B. protecting the rights of individuals to visit & learn about the wildlife on the
Galapagos Islands, even though some species may go extinct as a result
Defend your selection.

I choose A for many reasons. First of all the animals were there first so why would we kill them off for our benefi when we have many other options. The plants and animals ther are what make people want to visit and make them interested. Even if we cause one animal to go extict that can affect not only wildlife on the Galapagos Islands but also around the world. So people jus need to find a better way of doing things so that there will be wildlife there to observe and learn about. sunny

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:56 pm

[quote="snookieluvs2tan"]I think that protecting the endangered species of the Galapagos Islands is more important than tourism and people's "rights." I think that the animals have more rights than anything else, because they were there first. It's really strange to think that the animals have been living there for centuries, and then about 100 years ago, humans step on the scene, and everything begins to go awry. If I were an animal, I'd be like, "What the heck!" to all these human invasions. When the video first began, I was looking at all the animals, thinking that they were the only inhabitants on the island. But then, I saw a bus and some other cars, and I was amazed.
The animals have the right to live where they have been, and humans need to leave this place alone. For one, it's throwing off the ecosystem with all the different types of pathogens tourists bring with them and leave to the ecosystem.
Also, I think that for once, people dont need to jump on to every type of monetary opportunity they see, because it is not worth it to the animals. People may travel to the Galapagos Islands for just a short visit to see the island, eat the food, and see all the different types of animals. But, this "world" that the video described will not be there if people continue to trodd in and destruct these precious habitats.[/quote/]

You took the words right out my mouth,. People keep doing all this stuff that harms the wildlife just to go see it but they don't realize that if they keep up their same habits there wo't be anything to go see.

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:00 pm

Communistkid wrote:1. In your opinion, which of the following is more important:

It is more important to protect the environment. If the human population on the Galapagos Islands continues to grow we may see the destruction of one of the most historically important areas in the world. Besides, really you need to visit the place? Read a freaking book for chad's sake!

Umm if eveyone read books that would mean alot of paper usage! Really though i understand what you mean and anyway half of the people who go arn't really interested in the wildlife. Suspect

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2