Honors Biology Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones

+11
Communistkid
smiley11
GummyBearLove
LittleMissSophie
FounderofGFFandBabycat
snookieluvs2tan
londylou
Love_Muffins
earthycolors
whatitdochickado
Admin
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones

Post  smiley11 Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:38 pm

[quote="whatitdochickado"]
earthycolors wrote:2. Explain why your brain is more at-risk than Ms. Hancock's when it comes to the health dangers of cell phone radiation. What do the author's of the website suggeast is the solution to reducing your brain's exposure to cell phone radiation? Do you think this will work? Why or why not?

My teenager brain is more vulnerable than Ms. Hancock's adult brain because my skull wall is slightly thinner than Ms. Hancock's, making my skull easier for microwaves and radiation to penetrate. Since my head is easier for radiation to penetrate, I have a higher chance for brain cancer or a brain tumor than Ms. Hancock. One author suggested that we keep our cellphones on "speakerphone". I don't think this will work all the time or even some of the time because of a number of reasons:
- If you're in a loud and noisy place, you might not be able to hear the phone clearly if at all.
- There are some more "private" phone calls that, if you're in a crowded area, you don't others to hear.
- Some cellphones don't support "speakerphone" capabilities.

While those are some downsides to "speakerphone", here are a couple of good things:
- Your cellphone is away from your head which can drastically reduce the amount of radiation entering
your brain.
- There is lesser of a chance for brain tumors or brain cancer to develop in your brain.
afro

Haha. The speakerphone is a good idea but your right, what would people do when the call is personal or its a business call?? I wouldn't want everyone all up in my business
smiley11
smiley11

Back to top Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones

Post  londylou Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:53 pm

GummyBearLove wrote:1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

not saying that i wont get on the phone..cuz odds of that are slim to none. i know it may sound wrong but i dont think i can cut down on cell phone usage..Just because i have basically made it apart of my daily life...but maybe if they said the world would come to an end..MAYBE i would think about it Smile

Lol I completely agree. It is apart of my daily life too and it would be extermemly hard to cut down on cell phone usage even though its harmful and potentially fatal.

londylou

Back to top Go down

Post  GummyBearLove Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:57 pm

londylou wrote:1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning

This video actually made me kinda nervous. Im on the phone with my boyfriend, friends, family, etc all the time!! And I didnt know you could get microwaves from the computer too! Do you know how much I play the Sims? Im addicted to that game Shocked . I know this may sound very stupid, but I dont think my cell phone habits are gonna change much if any at all. The one change I may make is getting a Ferrite bead (ugh I hate the way that sounds) and I highly doubt that thats gonna happen. I (might?) try to reduce my phone usage. . . maybe. . . =)

-LondyLou

Lol yes...that word does irritate me just a little. But i really agree with you..i am on the phone all day everyday and even after watching this i dont believe my habits will change. and to top that all off..im on the computer alot too. I mean it does scare me a bit..but i wonder what effect texting have?

GummyBearLove

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:59 pm

smiley11 wrote:After watching the video it kinda scared me about the radiation could be a poosible contributer to brain tumers...I use the cell phone all the time, but its mainly text messaging anyway. I hardly ever talk on the cell phone let alone the house phone unless I really needed to. I would say that the radiation would be the cause to the constant head aches but I highly doubt that it is Smile

I thought I was the only person who gets those headaches!! Only they happen to me after I've been on the computer for a long time. The radiation might actually be the cause Sad . I hope now because Im completely in love with TheSims. . .

londylou

Back to top Go down

Post  GummyBearLove Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:03 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:I don't think i will change any of my cell phone habits. I don't talk on the phone that much as it is(im a texter), and if I do it's because i need to. I can help people that do talk on the phone talk a little least. It stil woudn't make a difference because the rays are all around use. the only way to completely save yourselve is to lock yourself in a lead box. but then ya'll die of lack of air.

RIGHT!! i mean they say this but if its so dangerous why havent cell phone companies stop making phones..they come out with better phones every 6months. So if us as humans just say we need to cut back on cell phone usage..what happens to cell phone companies? we always come up with things that we say are bad for us.. EVERYTHING is bad for us..too much of anything can hurt. So ill just continue my ways Smile

GummyBearLove

Back to top Go down

Post  animalluver Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:11 pm

LittleMissSophie wrote:...SCARY STUFF!! pale ..After read and listen to the videos I think twice before I answer the phone. Well I text more than anything but still my mom and step-dad call all the time. Let me not answer the phone and it will not stop ringing! lol. I will text even more or just respond to all text at one time. I can actually live without my phone.!..Okay that was a joke. Most females would flip if their phones were on low battery..let alone not b able to use them. I could really use my phone less IF I wanted to. I think i might leave it on silent or turn it off just to see if i would still want to use it!
tongue Laughing

"I could use it less if I wanted to." -Spoken like a true cell phone addict. Haha jk. But seriously, i can't say anything, cuz I always have my phone on me. I don't know about you guys, but I have lots of friends that don't go to our school and I'm constantly talking to them on the phone, if not texting them. And ya, my parents call a lot too. Its not only you that will think twice about answer. I will too.

animalluver

Back to top Go down

Post  animalluver Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 pm

GummyBearLove wrote:1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

This really scares me!! but what scares me the most is...I USE MY PHONE ALL DAY!! lol like i text from the time i wake up to the time i go to sleep...and i think the worse part is...i wont really change much at all...i think (like some others said) this was generally talking about talking and not texting. not saying that i wont get on the phone..cuz odds of that are slim to none. i know it may sound wrong but i dont think i can cut down on cell phone usage..Just because i have basically made it apart of my daily life...but maybe if they said the world would come to an end..MAYBE i would think about it Smile

Another sad fact is that I don't think I'm goig to change much either. I love my phone. Technology, epecially cellphones, is a key part of todays society. To expect people to cut down would be like expecting bears to wear clothes and drink tea with the queen of england. Most like, neither of those will happen. The radiation is scary, and I know we generally have good intentions to cut back, but the reality it, most of us have a hard time keeping up the motivation. I even have a hard time remember to unplug my cell phone charger before school! (Sorry Ms H!)

animalluver

Back to top Go down

Post  Love_Muffins Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:26 am

londylou wrote:1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning

This video actually made me kinda nervous. Im on the phone with my boyfriend, friends, family, etc all the time!! And I didnt know you could get microwaves from the computer too! Do you know how much I play the Sims? Im addicted to that game Shocked . I know this may sound very stupid, but I dont think my cell phone habits are gonna change much if any at all. The one change I may make is getting a Ferrite bead (ugh I hate the way that sounds) and I highly doubt that thats gonna happen. I (might?) try to reduce my phone usage. . . maybe. . . =)

-LondyLou
Right You reading my mind. I was thinking the same thing. Also they dont say anything about making microwaves safe.... Humm old people just wanna blame stuff on use... lol jk
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

Post  Love_Muffins Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:27 am

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:
whatitdochickado wrote:1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

So uhmmm, yeah. That kinda freaked me out. But would the radiation still affect you as much if you text more that you talk on the phone? 'cause I do text more often. I dunno. But that video looked kinda old and it didnt have text messaging included on the thingymajig. but yeah, I probably will TRY (keyword is try) to cut down on my cell phone usage. I'm gonna try for a few reasons;
1. dont wanna get a tumor
2. i already have an electric device on me 24/7 cause im a diabetic ( i bet i just gave away who i am.. hahah. )
3. i need to learn to live without a phone anyway i use mine too much.

no way i didnt know you were a diabetic and woah i wonder if like if having your cell phone in your pocket mess up the machine (if there is one inside of you) like would it ever make the numbers go awry or something?

hug baby cat's baby cats for me lol
Love_Muffins
Love_Muffins

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:24 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:
whatitdochickado wrote:1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

So uhmmm, yeah. That kinda freaked me out. But would the radiation still affect you as much if you text more that you talk on the phone? 'cause I do text more often. I dunno. But that video looked kinda old and it didnt have text messaging included on the thingymajig. but yeah, I probably will TRY (keyword is try) to cut down on my cell phone usage. I'm gonna try for a few reasons;
1. dont wanna get a tumor
2. i already have an electric device on me 24/7 cause im a diabetic ( i bet i just gave away who i am.. hahah. )
3. i need to learn to live without a phone anyway i use mine too much.

no way i didnt know you were a diabetic and woah i wonder if like if having your cell phone in your pocket mess up the machine (if there is one inside of you) like would it ever make the numbers go awry or something?

uhmm. well i've had a cell phone for a while. and nothing has happened to my machine thingy majig... so i guess not? haha.

whatitdochickado

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:12 pm

1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

I just figured out how to reply on here.. yay! Thanks Ms.Hancock! ... But after i saw and read the information it scared me. I immediately took my earpeice out. I started to get off the phone, but as the video went on an it talked about how radiation is basically everywhere i realized there was no point. Even if i get off the phone I'm still typing this response and i just made pizza rollls in the microwave , both give off radiation. So either way I still get exposed. Maybe i could cut down on cell phone usage a little, but there isn't really a way to completely avoid radiation exsposure.

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:37 pm

earthycolors wrote:2. Explain why your brain is more at-risk than Ms. Hancock's when it comes to the health dangers of cell phone radiation. What do the author's of the website suggeast is the solution to reducing your brain's exposure to cell phone radiation? Do you think this will work? Why or why not?

My teenager brain is more vulnerable than Ms. Hancock's adult brain because my skull wall is slightly thinner than Ms. Hancock's, making my skull easier for microwaves and radiation to penetrate. Since my head is easier for radiation to penetrate, I have a higher chance for brain cancer or a brain tumor than Ms. Hancock. One author suggested that we keep our cellphones on "speakerphone". I don't think this will work all the time or even some of the time because of a number of reasons:
- If you're in a loud and noisy place, you might not be able to hear the phone clearly if at all.
- There are some more "private" phone calls that, if you're in a crowded area, you don't others to hear.

While those are some downsides to "speakerphone", here are a couple of good things:
- Your cellphone is away from your head which can drastically reduce the amount of radiation entering
your brain.
- There is lesser of a chance for brain tumors or brain cancer to develop in your brain.
afro

I do agree with the pros and cons of using speakerphone but it seems to me like there are so many others ways of being exposed to radiation that it really doesn't make a difference. Unless you're someone who i constantly on the phone for long periods of time drunken

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:40 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:I don't think i will change any of my cell phone habits. I don't talk on the phone that much as it is(im a texter), and if I do it's because i need to. I can help people that do talk on the phone talk a little least. It stil woudn't make a difference because the rays are all around use. the only way to completely save yourselve is to lock yourself in a lead box. but then ya'll die of lack of air.

I completely agree with that because eveyone is like oh im never going to talk on the phone again, but in reality radiation is all around us.

MiszCheesekake41

Back to top Go down

Post  Bernice Fri May 27, 2011 2:39 am

your brain.
afro

I agree with you, by the way, today the cell phone are more and more popular and it has developed very rapidly, some parts are constantly updated, include the Cheap Cell Phone Holders and Cell Phone Repair Parts and so on, so we should change our cell phone habits.
Bernice
Bernice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2